Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Pressures

Denis Byrne

I have just got a 2020 1.8 Corolla hatchback on 16" wheels.

Tyres fitted are Continental Eco Contact 6 (205/55R16).  The owners handbook says tyre pressures should be 32/32 psi but the sticker on the door pillar says 36 front/35 rear.

Which is correct.

The pillar is more likely correct. Where in the book does it tell you the pressure? In the one I've got it just says look at the door sticker.

• Like 1

If the tyres are still quite bulgy on the 32psi, I'd opt for the higher pressures.

I tend to find you need slightly higher pressures than listed for heavier versions of a car, as i feel like the stock pressures are often for the petrol version, but they just recycle them for the heavier diesel engine version or even heavier hybrids!

This is a bit contentious tho' - Some people reckon you only need higher pressures for higher speeds, not higher weight but I'm firmly in the more weight, more psi camp!

58 minutes ago, Denis Byrne said:

I have just got a 2020 1.8 Corolla hatchback on 16" wheels.

Tyres fitted are Continental Eco Contact 6 (205/55R16).  The owners handbook says tyre pressures should be 32/32 psi but the sticker on the door pillar says 36 front/35 rear.

Which is correct.

Hi, can you take a picture and share with us please. 
I believe the correct pressures are 32/32 and have seen that in other sides too. https://www.wheel-size.com 

Usually there are two set of pressure, one for standard use two people with luggage and one for 4+ people with luggage or high speed drives. 
You can also tell by how the car feels. With your tyre set up the car should be quiet and soft , if you feel everything from the road on your steering wheel and seat means tyres are well over inflated. 👍 

Best way to check and adjust pressure is in the morning on cold before you drive off and the sun has seen the car. Use separate tyre gauge and small compressor to do the job . 👌

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0030FBSQ2?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_GPG8BDBDFB7VKCC273ZZ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BMNYHMM?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_VJETB7BA5MYE65NAD811

• Like 3

I've had a new 2.0 Icon Tech TS for a few months now and decided, somewhat belatedly perhaps, to check the tyre pressures. Using a digital gauge they've all come out at 40.5 whereas the door panel suggests 36 and 35 psi respectively for front/rear (up to 160mph - not sure why there's a separate suggestion for 160km/h +??!). Given the car was brand new I assume the dealer would have set the pressure correctly. My concern is that if I reduce the pressure to reflect the door panel figures, will this then trigger a low pressure warning as I assume this would have been calibrated by the dealer (or does low pressure warning only kick in at really low pressure)?

25 minutes ago, MontresHarare said:

I've had a new 2.0 Icon Tech TS for a few months now and decided, somewhat belatedly perhaps, to check the tyre pressures. Using a digital gauge they've all come out at 40.5 whereas the door panel suggests 36 and 35 psi respectively for front/rear (up to 160mph - not sure why there's a separate suggestion for 160km/h +??!). Given the car was brand new I assume the dealer would have set the pressure correctly. My concern is that if I reduce the pressure to reflect the door panel figures, will this then trigger a low pressure warning as I assume this would have been calibrated by the dealer (or does low pressure warning only kick in at really low pressure)?

Don't bet on the supplying dealer setting the tyre pressures correctly mine were all at 5barg when I took delivery of mine. :censored:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MontresHarare said:

I would set the tyre pressures to the correct pressure and reset the TPMS yourself, easy done 👍

• Like 2

I think quite a few of us have experienced similar; Mine were at 60psi! They usually set higher PSI from the factory as it stops the tyres flat-spotting so badly if they're sat around for a long time (e.g. while sitting in a field waiting to be transported) but they're supposed to be set during the PDI at the dealer... seems a lot of dealers have been slacking!!

As for the TPMS/TPWS, there is a button or menu setting somwhere (depending on car - Check yer manual!) to reset the 'baseline' pressure, so if you do deflate them, you can press it to make it re-learn that as the new pressure.

• Like 4

I can confirm that there are different pressures values in handbook and on the sticker. What is even more confusing, in handbook you have different tire pressure for tire type A and type B. I was trying to find what does it mean, since the handbook does not give any explanation but even Google didn't help. Any idea anybody?

Many of us have found out that dealers either don't check or don't understand the correct pressures. A lot of people who complain about road noise after purchasing a new vehicle discover that are over inflated.

• Like 4

Thanks for all your replies.

Attached are photos of sticker in car and handbook page. The handbook page shows two sets of figures for type A & type B tyres (or wheels ?) I have no idea what type A and type B is.

I am running my tyres on 32 psi front and rear and the ride is quite comfortable.

tyre pressures - in car.jpg

tyre pressures - in handbook.jpg

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Denis Byrne said:

Thanks for all your replies.

Attached are photos of sticker in car and handbook page. The handbook page shows two sets of figures for type A & type B tyres (or wheels ?) I have no idea what type A and type B is.

I am running my tyres on 32 psi front and rear and the ride is quite comfortable.

tyre pressures - in car.jpg

tyre pressures - in handbook.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I think type A is above 100mph driving speeds and type B is below 100mph. You can play with both settings and see what works best for you. My car ( similar t9 yours but 100kg heavier) with same size tyres I set front at 2.35 and rear 2.25 bar on cold 33/32psi. Drives great , very smooth and quiet. 👍

• Like 2

I checked the air pressure in mine just a couple of days after i collected it and they were 48 psi all round. 🙄 They are now running at 32psi all round and find this very comfortable.

• Like 4

The golden rule on checking tyre pressures is always do it when tyres are cold. Also reset the TPMS when tyres are cold too. My 2.0 TS Design tyre pressures are 34 psi all round and it's super quiet and smooth should any one wish to experiment on a similar model. Tyres are the factory fitted Falkens. On last service the technician set tyres at 32 psi all round by the way.

• Like 3

I contacted my dealer as the pressure on mine were also not the one stated on the door side. I was told leave it as its a new car the tire pressure will return to normal when the tyre breaks in ?

• Haha 4

Just now, Scout117 said:

I contacted my dealer as the pressure on mine were also not the one stated on the door side. I was told leave it as its a new car the tire pressure will return to normal when the tyre breaks in ?

I would have only take that as a joke 😂 , they can’t be serious. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scout117 said:

Sorry but I don't agree with that. Tyres will loose a little pressure over time but dealer should not be saying this.

• Like 3

Thanks, guys I will check them again today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scout117 said:

I hope you didn't believe them?

• Like 1

You would think part of the PDI would be to set the tyre pressures correctly, sadly this seems to be beyond them, I had 3 at 45 and one at 55 when I collected mine last year!

Most tyre fitters set them way too high too, in fact I’ve only ever seen one tyre fitter look at the sticker in the door at set the pressures correctly. 

• Like 3

I know form a tyre fitter that when installing a new tyres they have to inflate them the the higher then usual pressure to allow the tyre to make a good seal on the rim and then after a day or two later owners should adjust themselves on cold before driving off the car. 👍

• Like 2

I have just corrected mine. On the door side it was stating Front 33 and Rear 30 if speed 0-160 so I have now set mine to this.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I know form a tyre fitter that when installing a new tyres they have to inflate them the the higher then usual pressure to allow the tyre to make a good seal on the rim and then after a day or two later owners should adjust themselves on cold before driving off the car. 👍

I’ve never heard that before, thanks Tony.

• Like 2

Does seem to work, at 32psi I was having to top up the pressures regularly but at 38psi I haven't had to for ages! Makes sense...

I'm fairly sure it's also saved me from a lot of rim damage (Seriously some of the potholes are getting ridiculous! They have been filling some of them in but then they're cracked open again within a few weeks and even worse than they were before!)

• Like 1

Interesting thing about the tyres, pressures and air temperatures. All of these  are constantly changing and here what I noticed on my car equipped with Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 size 205/55 16 . 

I do measure and adjust pressure front 2.35 bar and rear 2.25 bar , early morning with air temperature around 12C°
The car stay parked all day on the driveway under direct sunlight, air temperature goes up to 22C° tyres perhaps to 36C° as of the sunshine ☀️.

In the evening 19:00 if I measure the pressures again they show front 2.45 bar and rear 2.35 bar, way more than what was set in the morning, however the tyres are ultra soft not only the side walls but the protector too, you can literally squeeze with fingers, the drive is very smooth, quiet and comfortable.
Later in the night 03:00 hrs the air temperature goes down to 8C° , the tyre pressure goes down to front 2.33 bar and rear 2.23 bar, the tyres look and feel similar soft on the walls but the protector now is much harder, the ride is bumpier and there is just a tiny bit more road noise.
That’s my experience from monitoring my car tyres and pressure and how they behave in different temperatures.
Performance remains unaffected, these tyres are very good indeed. Comparison to my gf car Michelin energy e+ size 205/60 16 my car wins for noise levels from the tyres. 🛞👌

DA980DC2-6CC8-4760-AADD-31DD4BDD47D8.jpeg

08C558B6-CE76-4C10-B0ED-D4B80DF53FC5.jpeg

• Like 2