Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Pressures

Denis Byrne

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Later in the night 03:00 hrs the air temperature goes down to 8C° , the tyre pressure goes down to front 2.33 bar and rear 2.23 bar, the tyres look and feel similar soft on the walls but the protector now is much harder, the ride is bumpier and there is just a tiny bit more road noise.
. 🛞👌

DA980DC2-6CC8-4760-AADD-31DD4BDD47D8.jpeg

08C558B6-CE76-4C10-B0ED-D4B80DF53FC5.jpeg

I am impressed you check your tyre pressures at 03:00 !!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 50p said:

I am impressed you check your tyre pressures at 03:00 !!

Haha, I work at night 😂👍 But yes , crazy enough to have time to measure pressures and temperatures. Just don’t want to talk nonsense here.
I can tell also for reference what is the normal temperature of brake discs when driving the car and stop. Winter anything from 7C° to 24c° summer up to 44C° if you get significantly higher numbers there likely to be a problem with your brakes or perhaps been on the track, hybrids are always cold brakes. 👌

• Like 3

On 5/21/2022 at 3:00 PM, AndrueC said:

Many of us have found out that dealers either don't check or don't understand the correct pressures. A lot of people who complain about road noise after purchasing a new vehicle discover that are over inflated.

Actually might be more to be noisy when under inflated!  More tread contact = more drag = more noise.

2 hours ago, Tech429 said:

Actually might be more to be noisy when under inflated!  More tread contact = more drag = more noise.

The softness of the sidewall will make more difference than the extra tread contact.

• Like 1

There are two main types of tyre noises from car tyres: 

1. The faulty wheel bearing noise (whining) - this comes from under inflated tyres or some all season and winter tyres. Usually happens on very smooth asphalt and or at lower speeds .

2. The rumble noise - this is happening when tyres are over inflated or too hard as been aged, or has protector deformed, the noise can be more prominent at rough asphalt and at all speeds. 

Best to stick close to the recommended values. Correct tyres pressures are responsible not only for safety, better efficiency and handling but also for suspension, bearings and shocks longevity and perhaps your plastics inside the interior. Make the tyres rock hard and you will kill all of those above 😬

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kental said:

The softness of the sidewall will make more difference than the extra tread contact.

True... but more tread/road/contact causes inefficiency too.

I found it best on a previous Yaris Hybrid to have inflation at 2 psi more than recommended.  Reason for this was the tyre wear was on both inner and outer on all tyres for the first year of driving - then after 2 psi more the 2nd and 3rd year was constant even wear.

So on my Corolla i have the same.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tech429 said:

True... but more tread/road/contact causes inefficiency too.

I found it best on a previous Yaris Hybrid to have inflation at 2 psi more than recommended.  Reason for this was the tyre wear was on both inner and outer on all tyres for the first year of driving - then after 2 psi more the 2nd and 3rd year was constant even wear.

So on my Corolla i have the same.

I’m not denying that under inflated tyres make a car much less efficient, just not noisier. 
Eco tyres generally give more noise and a less compliant ride.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 7:51 PM, Scout117 said:

I contacted my dealer as the pressure on mine were also not the one stated on the door side. I was told leave it as its a new car the tire pressure will return to normal when the tyre breaks in ?

Funny man!

I saw it on the forum and did it, to leave the psi 2-4 higher than reccomended for a more comfortable quieter ride
I was by a family memebr's garage and 1 of his mechanics thought I was crazy niut we decoded that it wont hurt anyone to do it and you can always take air out, wierdly enough it works

• Like 1

It's certainly a miracle that the world functions the absolute majority of the time! Maybe our interests are indeed being watched by an omnipresent and omnipotent being...

Every time I've left the vehicle for a service, wether it's related with the tyres or not, the pressures are set accordingly to the criteria of the guy doing the job, not by what is pointed out on the door sticker or the manual. They've been set above, under or equal to the values indicated, but without even considering if they were taking care of the fronts or the back tyres.

I use 2.6 BAR at the fronts and 2.4 BAR at the rears, which have proved to be the best pressures for riding quality and comfort for me. I used to filled them up with 2.4/2.2 BAR, as recommended for speeds below 160 km/h, but found that the car was extremely fluffy and added not that much comfort on a long run. I've yet to buy a digital pressure gauge, but I certainly visit the gas station to correct the pressure the next day.

Hopefully the maintenance teams in the mass transport industries are more thorough with their procedures! Well, I went a little bit too far: hopefully the guys doing power unit or transmission maintenance to our Corollas are less 'creative' and more thorough!

I have 4 pressure gauges and out of curiosity I measured one tire with all of them. There was 5 psi ( 0,3 bar) difference between them. So under some circumstances, if one recommends you 2,6bar and someone else 2,3 bar they can be talking about the same pressure 🙂

22 hours ago, Tomv said:

I have 4 pressure gauges and out of curiosity I measured one tire with all of them. There was 5 psi ( 0,3 bar) difference between them. So under some circumstances, if one recommends you 2,6bar and someone else 2,3 bar they can be talking about the same pressure 🙂

That's quite a hefty difference!

Out of curiosity, are they digital or analogue, and how much is the price difference between them?

I've yet to buy one, and I think it's just enough to try it once and check the readings with what the pumps at the gas stations show...

40 minutes ago, Gerhard_Corolla said:

That's quite a hefty difference!

Out of curiosity, are they digital or analogue, and how much is the price difference between them?

I've yet to buy one, and I think it's just enough to try it once and check the readings with what the pumps at the gas stations show...

I think pumps at gas stations are way off and more likely to be not calibrated correctly. The other thing is that when you drive the car to get there tyre will warm up and pressure will change. Buying a quality digital gauge is best option. This should be very good, I am using similar to this but but made a couple of years ago, works very well. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275324961126?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sWtMGloZQFi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY 
Price is also great at the moment. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Auto Express recently did a review of tyre pressure gauges and it seems that most of the new digital types are fairly accurate despite their low prices..  The article should still be available on their website. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

Auto Express recently did a review of tyre pressure gauges and it seems that most of the new digital types are fairly accurate despite their low prices..  The article should still be available on their website. 

Here it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Auto Express article was on digital tyre pressure gauges

34 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I think pumps at gas stations are way off and more likely to be not calibrated correctly.

As regards service station pumps, they're supposed to be checked for accuracy, etc by Local Authorities, but few now have the resources to do this. And of course by the time you've driven to the service station to check your tyres, the tyres have warmed up so any readings will not be correct.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gerhard_Corolla said:

All off them are analog. (I prefer analog devices where ever it is possible. Don't like to care about batteries, changing them,charging them, capacity lost etc.) I bought only one of them it was for 30€ This one I trust the most, according to spec it should be pretty precise. Another one of them is about 30 years old and to my surprise it's reading are as precise as the one I bought. The rest looks like some cheaper ones that you can buy at gas stations.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 12:57 PM, TonyHSD said:

I think pumps at gas stations are way off and more likely to be not calibrated correctly. The other thing is that when you drive the car to get there tyre will warm up and pressure will change. Buying a quality digital gauge is best option. This should be very good, I am using similar to this but but made a couple of years ago, works very well. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275324961126?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sWtMGloZQFi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY 
Price is also great at the moment. 👍

Indeed...

I have a station less than three blocks away and my usual process is to charge gasoline quite early or late in the day: drive slow, charge gas first, pay and take a look around the gas station store, and then check the tyre pressures after a few minutes. So probably by then the temperature should be near the appropriate range, but it's quite astonishing how much the temperature/pressure can rise after driving just a few blocks. 

Thank you!

• Like 2

Just checked my tyre pressures and they were set at 35 front and back!!! Running 225/45/17 tyres(1.8 TS excel). The inside door sticker says 32 in front 30 in the back. It improved the comfort slightly, but I'm still running the original falkens in the back...

I think I have too much trust in my dealer and never checked the pressure ever since I’ve picked mine up in January, but they did take their time to prepare the car for me