Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does the horn sound quite so pathetic outside the car as inside

SimB

I had to use the horn on my Rav for the first time yesterday, I sounded soo feeble from inside the car , less of a warning more something looking for sympathy ,  is the the same for all and quite a pathetic tinny sound ?

It's pretty pathetic. No doubt driven by Toyota's over zealous safety ambition. Safety in the sense of not aggravating other motorists to receive a bashing.

It does show a difference in culture between a japanese horn and, say, a german one. Definitely more of a polite "Pardon me sir" than a "GET THE F*** OUT THE WAY YOU **$&$%& *%$£& OR I'LL  &$"$%$£ YOUR WHOLE FAMILY!"

I sometimes feel I need a variety of horns for different situations, e.g. "Hello is anyone on the other side of this single-lane blind corner??" and "Excuse me fellow driver but the lights have changed!" and "Pardon me fellow driver but if you could pull forwards just a touch I'll be able to get past you into this left turn" and the always useful "I'M RIGHT HERE USE YOUR *$£#@#%£ EYES INSTEAD OF TURNING INTO THE SIDE OF ME WITHOUT LOOKING YOU BLIND **$%&$* IT'S MIRROR SIGNAL MANOEUVRE YOU IGNORANT #@+=$£&!!"

:laugh: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It does show a difference in culture between a japanese horn and, say, a german one. Definitely more of a polite "Pardon me sir" than a "GET THE F*** OUT THE WAY YOU **$&$%& *%$£& OR I'LL  &$"$%$£ YOUR WHOLE FAMILY!"

I sometimes feel I need a variety of horns for different situations, e.g. "Hello is anyone on the other side of this single-lane blind corner??" and "Excuse me fellow driver but the lights have changed!" and "Pardon me fellow driver but if you could pull forwards just a touch I'll be able to get past you into this left turn" and the always useful "I'M RIGHT HERE USE YOUR *$£#@#%£ EYES INSTEAD OF TURNING INTO THE SIDE OF ME WITHOUT LOOKING YOU BLIND **$%&$* IT'S MIRROR SIGNAL MANOEUVRE YOU IGNORANT #@+=$£&!!"

Brilliant! 

• Like 1

The extra sound deadening measures over the HEV make it sound even more pathetic - but it is truly pathetic in its own right...........

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 1:06 PM, Cyker said:

Yeh there was no politeness about my Merc horn. Was like something from Mad Max.

Long press for shouting horn.

Short press for polite horn.

How hard can it be to implement that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Hi all. Sorry I'm a little late to the party here but the few times I've had to use the horn in my '21 Rav4 Hybrid I just felt embarrassed that my car actually made such a sound! So I wanted to see if anyone has gone so far as to upgrade their horn? From what I've found online so far, this seems to be a decent go-to:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HELLA-012010901-Black-Trumpet-Toyota/dp/B01EG18SFM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3QNS85SNQL948&keywords=hella%2Bhorn%2Btoyota&qid=1675100940&sprefix=hella%2Bhorn%2Btoyota%2Caps%2C73&sr=8-1&th=1 

Anybody have other suggestions or know if its a simple plug-and play or will need extra wiring?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I found this by chance on YouTube. Good sound but not something I’ll be doing.

• Haha 1

Not for me either. I own the car for over a year now and the only time I used the horn was when I was cleaning the steering wheel 😅 

• Haha 4

Yes mine is like the squeak from a frightened mouse 🐀.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't want anything too loud for when accidentally pressing it while fitting the steering lock 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Ineos Grenadier has two horns each with its own internal button.

A polite one for pedestrians/cyclists and an obnoxious loud one for other motorists.

Nice idea, but in a high pressure scenario I could pick the wrong one.

• Haha 1

I would have needed a loud horn this evening as a car reversed out in front of me. Fortunately he heard my Toyota Yaris Hybrid mouse squeaky horn.😂🤣

• Haha 2

Japan has an intrinsically polite and courteous culture which also appears to be reflected in the nature of their car horns.  

The Importance of Company Culture in a Remote Office - Remote.co

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Japan has an intrinsically polite and courteous culture which also appears to be reflected in the nature of their car horns.  

The Importance of Company Culture in a Remote Office - Remote.co

And nothing at all to do with cost-cutting by fiting a single £1 horn rather than twin £1.50 horns with extra wiring and connector. 🙂

Many years ago, I had a Citroen Dyane. The horn on this was really pathetic.

I found a Klaxon at a local junk shop. It took a fair bit of restoration to get it working. But once done it found a new home under the Dyane's bonnet.

It worked really well for those special occasions.

Some time later, I found a description of it in a vintage car spares catalogue. It was rated in decibels at 800 yards!

• Haha 1

I note Cykers post last year.  I seem to remember my SAAB had twin horns and that prompts a thought. 

If you are driving down a winter snow covered road through a forest in Sweden your horn needs to be LOUD. Loud as in get your a**s off the road before I hit you. 

• Haha 1

My Corolla horns sound pathetic. Best horn I had was on an Alfasud. I was working under the car and my wife thought it was amusing to give it a good old pull (it was on a stalk). I was lucky to survive it - I wasn't best pleased.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Corollanutter said:

And nothing at all to do with cost-cutting by fiting a single £1 horn rather than twin £1.50 horns with extra wiring and connector. 🙂

Nah!......must be their respectful nature 😌

• Haha 2

The Citroen DS (remember them?) used to have a switch for the horn selection i think. One was for in town and the other, much much louder was for use on Motorways. I don't suppose the modern driver would be trusted to select the quiet horn in town areas lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2