Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flat battery

Barney7

I picked up my 2021 rav yesterday from a dealer 80 miles from where I live, drove home all good did a couple of other trips 1 around 15 miles and 1 to the local supermarket. This morning moved it out of my garage so I could put some bits and pieces in the boot then went to start it and nothing.

it would lock and unlock and the power boot worked but it wouldn’t go into ready mode.I called Toyota assist and was told to put the key fob next to the start button, it started straight away. They told me too take the car for a 20 minute run and it should be ok.

it wasn’t, I’ve read the pinned post regarding the 12v Battery but this car had done 100 miles the day before so I can’t see how that’s the problem .The batteries in the fobs are ok so I’m about baffled, obviously I’m taking it to my local dealer tomorrow but it would be handy to be ready for any excuse’s that they may offer.

I had my Honda HRVfor 7 years and never had an issue but after 24 hours with the rav I’m a bit concerned .

any advice would be appreciated 

many thanks 

Not really sure what the problem is Garry, could be something drawing current from the 12v Battery when the car is stationary and locked up ?

The dealer should be able to pinpoint the problem using the fault codes.

Interested to see what the problem is, keep us posted 👍

• Like 1

What I do t i understand is that it stared when I put the fob next to the start button it switched on how can this happen if the 12v Battery is dead?

4 minutes ago, Barney7 said:

What I do t i understand is that it stared when I put the fob next to the start button it switched on how can this happen if the 12v battery is dead?

I've been looking at other posts Garry and it kind of points to the keyfob Battery being low.

Have you changed the keyfob Battery ? You did say they were ok ?

Hi iain yes both fobs the batteries are good 

• Like 1

Please confirm the fault is with both fobs. 

9 hours ago, Barney7 said:

Does the rav warn you of low fob battery?

I would imagine it does warn you, but maybe your fobs are past the warning stage ?

Don't worry, the dealer will soon sort it 👍

If it is both fobs, if the batteries are OK, the fobs were new last year, and the car can't detect either fob, what is left? 

It sounds as it the key sensor is not working. 

• Like 1

You could try changing one of the key fob batteries yourself and that would maybe save you a journey, these are from the 2022 Rav4 manual but it shows you that it's not difficult if you want to give it a go.

image.thumb.jpeg.53e3066824ed847b508c404764e12d12.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e434f5ee880090423fd98a4940ace352.jpeg

• Like 2

Many thanks for all your help regarding this.

I went to my local dealer who was very helpful.

as it turns out when I was adjusting some settings I must have changed something, there is a setting on the tablet 

Menu- vehicle and scroll down it switches the smart entry and start feature off and on, this is to prevent someone cloning your key.

it effectively disables the key remotely so the car will only open with one of the buttons pressed and only start when the fob is in very close proximity to the start button.

A bit embarrassing really but new car it would be rude not to have a fiddle.

anyway it’s all sorted and I can hopefully get on with enjoying it.

Thanks again 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Barney7 said:

Many thanks for all your help regarding this.

I went to my local dealer who was very helpful.

as it turns out when I was adjusting some settings I must have changed something, there is a setting on the tablet 

Menu- vehicle and scroll down it switches the smart entry and start feature off and on, this is to prevent someone cloning your key.

it effectively disables the key remotely so the car will only open with one of the buttons pressed and only start when the fob is in very close proximity to the start button.

A bit embarrassing really but new car it would be rude not to have a fiddle.

anyway it’s all sorted and I can hopefully get on with enjoying it.

Thanks again 

That's the trouble with all these options, it's too easy to inadvertently make a change to a setting.

• Like 2

Thank you Barney.  I had to make an urgent trip to the garage to close a window. I can't remember how I got it wrong and the fix is simple, just follow the instructions, though I can't remember what they are 😊

PS, my wife keeps accidentally switching on the (in)accessibility mode on her phone.  It's a sod trying to switch it off again. 

• Like 1