Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Toyota yaris 1.3 Petrol poor MPG?

redhyper

Seriously?? Did they have lead weights on the end or something?! :eek:  :laugh:  Sounds like bad engineering - It shouldn't be any worse than the normal two wipers swinging in the same direction type!

Even the absolutely massive single wiper on my dad's old merc, which was so long it would fling water far enough to hit any nearby angry pedestrians on both sides in operation, didn't have such an effect! (That had a very cool mechanism - Was in the middle and would dip down in the middle as it swept so it didn't go higher than the top of the windscreen, then rise out again so it would reach the sides; Very different to the cantilever-style that the Toyota single-wiper mechanism uses)

TBH my favourite type of wiper are the ones that sweep in from the sides and down in the middle as they appeal to my OCD, unlike conventional double-wipers which leave the arc of doom on the passenger side, and the movement cancels each other out.

I can see why they didn't use those, partly because that's just not a Toyota thing, but also because the rear mirror where all the fancy cameras are wouldn't get cleaned, so they kinda have to use a single wiper or the normal style parallel doubles.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

Seriously?? Did they have lead weights on the end or something?! :eek:  :laugh:  Sounds like bad engineering - It shouldn't be any worse than the normal two wipers swinging in the same direction type!

Yes its true and I saw it mentioned in a review. I can even say I have verified it as well because I had an A2 for all of 3 weeks until the 1.4TDi engine failed in catastrophic fashioned while still running in. Got a full refund and returned to Toyota. I was lucky with that one (the refund). 

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

the arc of doom

Love it, the arc of doom. Everything was doom and gloom with Audi. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, redhyper said:

I bought the 'SC16HR11 spark plugs' from ACE parts ebay. They are arguing with me that they sent the correct ones and it's my fault. This is the ebay listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352653600537

Please read my previous post !!

SC16HR11 are correct, these engines run like carp on anything but Denso plugs

You have to use a 14mm 12 point socket (thinwall) to get down the plug hole

eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254950678682

IKH20TT 4704 are too cold a plug

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Please read my previous post !!

I think you need to read my previous post as I mentioned they didn't sent me SC16HR11 spark plugs.

Their listing is technically correct, it's the TT variant of the SC16HR11, but they are too cold a plug for the 1.33, you got what you ordered - perhaps the listing should actually show the actual plug number instead of the short code (7404)

a snip from Denso's site image.png.5ae16d85f031ba1e20241742e0a3160a.png

SC16HR11 - 3499

IXEH20TT - 7404

• 3 weeks later...

Averaged 59.1 mpg yesterday whilst on a 400 mile round trip, cruising at 65 mph with the AC off and using Shell E10 fuel (current price GBP 1.89/ltr). The engine was more responsive and ran much better than when using supermarket fuel (currently GBP 1.83/ltr). On a previous long journey, average mpg was between 50-54mpg when using supermarket fuel, but the car was down on power and didn't run as well as yesterday. I will try and use branded fuel as long as the price difference isn't too great.

20220621_160226a.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 9:10 PM, Cyker said:

TBH my favourite type of wiper are the ones that sweep in from the sides and down in the middle as they appeal to my OCD

Cost effective/cutting as the manufacturer doesn't need to alter the wipers to suit LHD or RHD markets.

• Like 1

Yeah, it surprises me so few marques seem to do it given the advantages!

Also 59.1mpg in a Mk2 1.33 deserves a clap! That's pretty good for that engine! I'd struggle to get near those mpgs when I had one, and that's even with the cheating! (The extra oil mine was burning didn't count towards the mpg :laugh: )

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cyker said:

The extra oil mine was burning didn't count towards the mpg

Well... maybe the lack of friction (effectiveness) of the oil control rings contributes to better mpg. Sometimes you just have to put a bit of positive spin on the situation. I'm sure mine feels quicker now at 86k and with using 10w40 oil than it ever was when quite new and running on 0w20. The mpg is no worse. 

• Haha 1

I

2 hours ago, Mooly said:

Well... maybe the lack of friction (effectiveness) of the oil control rings contributes to better mpg. Sometimes you just have to put a bit of positive spin on the situation. I'm sure mine feels quicker now at 86k and with using 10w40 oil than it ever was when quite new and running on 0w20. The mpg is no worse. 

If oil control rings are gone, the 10w40 quickly becomes 0w20 and 0w20 becomes 0w8 😂👌, ultra efficient. My one started burning oil more , it’s not too bad cup to a litre per 10k miles but previously was nothing, not even a drop of oil between changes. 

• Like 2

Tony, I get through two and half of these in a year for topping up. When I dip the oil I sometimes turn the stick upside down to see how fast it runs down. Its usually hot when I do that and it seems pretty thick. Its not like water... not yet anyway.

1253852108_Screenshot2022-06-24140002.thumb.jpg.e759be31d7d15c466ea8bb41f1b2247a.jpg

And while we are on about mpg's, well I did a back of the envelope calculation on all the cars I have had, the approx mileage when changed and the approx mpg each delivered.

I have worked through a full one of these over all the years. Around 50,000 litres. That is a pretty scary thought.

1752220716_Screenshot2022-06-24140648.thumb.jpg.bca38943b81ac2769f8d9a5cca01b968.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's similar to my Mk2 1.33 experience - IIRC I worked out I'd topped up 10-12L over the course of a year! :eek: And that was 0w20, which was very watery compared to 10w40 (I used to use that in my old D4D before switching to 0w40 because it sounded awful when starting it in winter! :laugh: )

• Like 1

I find the 10w40 and even 5w30 give (subjectively at least) a quieter and smoother drive than the 0W20. Its a bit of an indefinable 'something' but given it seems consistently better with the thicker oil I would say it is real and not imagined. 

• Like 1

Definitely - My Mk2 was really 'tappet-y' with 0w20. I could tell when the dealers used 5w30 once because it was vastly quieter, and I could feel the extra 'resistance'.

I can feel the difference when changing old with new oil. Engine becomes quieter, more responsive and easier on acceleration. Similar to when driving on E5 99 vs E10 95. I also found that using some additives by wynns for example engine oil stop leak or engine oil friction modifier the same effect of new oil can be noticed immediately. I usually add some of these sometimes mid oil change at 5000 miles. Castrol oil btw previously when was doing a lots of different cars remember it was the oil that sticks to the dipstick the most no matter viscosity. They were calling it Magnatec. 

• Like 1