Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tracking with DCM

plsdonttouchmyRafff

Hi, I have a 2022 Rav4, the safetyconnect and connected services are on. I need to keep it that way since I am not the only person that operates the vehicle. However, I hate how the car tracks everywhere I go. All the other people that use the vehicle keep a tab on this also, so I really feel the violation of privacy. I would like to temporarily disconnect the DCM while I drive. Can I do this? Is there an antenna or receiver I can wrap in tin foil before I use my vehicle so it is not tracked everywhere? I appreciate all the help so much thank you!

RAF, only disconnect in the app each time you're in the car but that will be a pain to do and then reconnect the services.  I take it you have a mobile phone because the tracks you whether you want it to or not even with location services off the phone company know which tower your phone is using. If you use a credit or debit card, shop anywhere you're tracked. Whilst I understand to some extent I think that horse has well and truly bolted.

You don't say which country you're from so maybe it's different for you???

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ernieb said:

RAF, only disconnect in the app each time you're in the car but that will be a pain to do and then reconnect the services.  I take it you have a mobile phone because the tracks you whether you want it to or not even with location services off the phone company know which tower your phone is using. If you use a credit or debit card, shop anywhere you're tracked. Whilst I understand to some extent I think that horse has well and truly bolted.

You don't say which country you're from so maybe it's different for you???

Well the tracking part of My Toyota stopped working recently for some unknown reason even though the car is being shown as connected.   Other than that, for the most part I am a Luddite in that my mobile phone stays switched off when I am out, to be switched on only in an emergency.   Somewhere around 90% of my credit card use is online and I have never had a presence on FarceBook (it does not Meta for me that the name has changed) or Twatter.  On the other hand my life is so mundane that it real doesn't bother me if I am tracked, well other than worry about the mental state of who is tracking me.

• Like 1

If it's the same as mine, go into the MyT app, swipe right to left on the picture of the car. Choose Car Settings and turn Privacy Mode on.

If you want to turn it back on for other users, do the same and turn it back on after your journey.

• Like 2

Thank you all! I am from the US, the toyota app is simply 'Toyota' for me. Unfortunately, I do not have a privacy mode I can see on my app :/. Is it possible to disconnect the DCM fuse and put it back safely? I heard this is what is being used to communicate data tracking.

I think if you did disconnect the fuse to the car SIM you would also disable the emergency call system, it uses the same system.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, plsdonttouchmyRafff said:

Thank you all! I am from the US, the toyota app is simply 'Toyota' for me. Unfortunately, I do not have a privacy mode I can see on my app :/. Is it possible to disconnect the DCM fuse and put it back safely? I heard this is what is being used to communicate data tracking.

Can you access your vehicle settings via your account on the Toyota website in the US? In the UK you can also switch on privacy mode there too. It's under manage connected services.

• Like 1

This is what it looks like:

185A343E-731C-4D66-BC40-0367617959EB.jpeg

• Like 2

Apologies if I've gotten the wrong end of the stick here, and I'm not saying the following to make judgements etc about your intentions with this request, but on the basis of the info you've mentioned, isn't this entirely redundant? 

If this is a shared vehicle in a work sense, then it's not yours and your driving whilst in it should be for work purposes, no? Thus your work/boss/colleagues have a justifiable reason to know where the car is and what it's doing. 

If this is shared in a personal sense, and the person/people you share the vehicle are OCD/paranoid enough to be monitoring your movements in it on the app, then it will be plainly obvious that you are doing this (disabling the tracking), because those close to you will know you have driven the car, but not see any tracking in the app. This logic also applies to the work scenario (ie if your boss knows your using it but not seeing any tracking, then the jig is up). 

In either sense, it seems to me doing what you seem to be requesting advice on, is simply setting yourself on a path to certain conflict...? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links