Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Potential Corolla issue?

Tech429

Just for info:

Had my GR Sport 2 months... and about 2 weeks ago noticed an annoying clunking sound from the drivers front suspension area.  Only noticeable at 5 to 15 mph... either straight or turning... and generally when going over slightly uneven road surface or when going over a grate, etc.

Toyota had it this morning and after a little searching and checking they have tracked it down to anti-roll bar bushes - a known issue with these as there is an upgraded part for it.  So it will be done on Thursday morning.

Here's hoping that fixes the clunking sound.

• Like 1

Is this fault just in the GR sport range, do you know, or is this fault in all the corolla ranges like the GT sport etc 

15 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

Is this fault just in the GR sport range, do you know, or is this fault in all the corolla ranges like the GT sport etc 

All the Corolla I believe, it’s been mentioned previously by other members with different grade Corollas. 👍

47 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

Yes as already mentioned it looks to be so.

35 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

All the Corolla I believe, it’s been mentioned previously by other members with different grade Corollas. 👍

That's quite bad Tony in not being able to get a basic part that's cheap to operate for at least 25'000 miles 

i was hoping Toyota were as good as Mazda in the manufacturing of parts and of supervision. Apparently not 

31 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

That's quite bad Tony in not being able to get a basic part that's cheap to operate for at least 25'000 miles 

i was hoping Toyota were as good as Mazda in the manufacturing of parts and of supervision. Apparently not 

Perhaps only some batches are with bad bushes or fitted incorrectly. Only they knows what is exactly. Not all cars are affected for sure otherwise we would have known from unhappy owners. For reference my Auris from 2010 with 210k+ miles is on its original suspension, not even a bush been replaced. I do check them every 3 months and even bought a set of stabiliser bar links and bushes as those are the first to go, the car was at 80k miles when I had them, to date no need of replacement. My point is that Toyota are still very good cars but defects can be found sometimes. In USA there is a Corolla saloon 1.8 hybrid with 170k miles done in one year. 🏁👍

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Perhaps only some batches are with bad bushes or fitted incorrectly. Only they knows what is exactly. Not all cars are affected for sure otherwise we would have known from unhappy owners. For reference my Auris from 2010 with 210k+ miles is on its original suspension, not even a bush been replaced. I do check them every 3 months and even bought a set of stabiliser bar links and bushes as those are the first to go, the car was at 80k miles when I had them, to date no need of replacement. My point is that Toyota are still very good cars but defects can be found sometimes. In USA there is a Corolla saloon 1.8 hybrid with 170k miles done in one year. 🏁👍

The point you're missing, Tony, is that manufactures continuously cut corners on the basis the public are fools so won't know any difference. Your Auris bushes for example will have gone through many changes till now, so it's not really like for like. The part is so basic it must be a batch, i would think that were manufactured with the defect and all the staff involved didn't notice 

my previous Mazda was a good example of old technology for the automatic gearbox and a few other bits and pieces of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and sometimes that's the best way forward. Keep trying to cut costs, with new stuff always end up with a heavy price to pay with breakdowns/recalls at best and loss of life at worse 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

The point you're missing, Tony, is that manufactures continuously cut corners on the basis the public are fools so won't know any difference. Your Auris bushes for example will have gone through many changes till now, so it's not really like for like. The part is so basic it must be a batch, i would think that were manufactured with the defect and all the staff involved didn't notice 

my previous Mazda was a good example of old technology for the automatic gearbox and a few other bits and pieces of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and sometimes that's the best way forward. Keep trying to cut costs, with new stuff always end up with a heavy price to pay with breakdowns/recalls at best and loss of life at worse 

It’s a clunking sound, not a wheel falling off. Emissions having to be reduced so heavily means it is probably a weight rather than a cost saving so if it ain’t broke don’t fix it isn’t a sustainable answer.

• Like 1

Ahh the classic grape jelly ARB bushes as seen on the Yaris Mk1 making a comeback! :laugh: 

In my previous jobs I worked for a number of component suppliers to a number of car makers - including Toyota at Burnaston. When I decided to go self-employed the car I chose to buy was as a (used) Toyota. Why? - because Toyota was my most demanding customer. Components were tested to death - and no changes, no matter how small, were allowed without very thorough testing and approval. However, problems do sometimes occur, despite the best efforts of both Toyota and their suppliers. It’s not always due to cost cutting. Rest assured that the supplier of these bushes will have been put through the wringer to resolve the issue - most probably at a large cost to the supplier - both financially and in terms of reputation. But as we all know, s…. happens. And it’s how you resolve the issue that is important. 

• Like 11

The fact that Toyota still have a reputation for reliability when almost every other manufacturer has lost theirs, esp. other japanese manufacturers, and even the germans, does say something...!

Because of that I can't really fault them for concentrating on the core important areas (i.e. the drivetrain, safety), at the expense of other things (e.g. interior and infotainment).

• Like 4

13 hours ago, fourbanks said:

Over the last 12 or so years we've owned owned 2 old style 1.8 vvti Avensis (a manual and an auto), a new style Avensis 2.0 diesel, a new style Avensis 1.8 valvematic auto, an old style 1.6 Auris and two C-HR's (granted we’ve only owned the C-HR's for 10 mins in the whole scheme of things).  Also in the same time frame a 2015 Mazda 3 2.0 auto, a Mazda 6 2.2 diesel auto and 2 Mazda CX-5 2.2 diesel autos.  I therefore feel I have a bit of experience with both brands and I’d say Toyota's quality is better than Mazda's.

My 2015 Mazda 6, when about 1 year old, had a suspension knock from the front resulting in new strut bushes.

The Mazda 3, at 3 years old and under 20k miles, would have failed it’s first MOT if it didn’t get new brakes (discs and pads) all round.

The Mazda 3 got a new air con evaporator at 1 year old (evaporator, not condenser - the bit which involves stripping out the dash etc).

One of the CX-5's needed new rear brakes at under 30k miles.

The Mazda 3 got all 4 wheels replaced under warranty due to lacquer peeling, as did one of the CX-5's.  A friend had about 4 new Mazda 6's in a row - all of them had at least one wheel replaced.

One of the CX-5's had the oil pressure low warning (the 2.2 engines are prone to serious problems due to carbon build up).

One CX- 5 had two new mirrors fitted due to not folding (another common fault).

I've had some issues with Toyota too tho.

• Like 1

Must admit i've not had that issue mentioned by OP with my GR Sport (almost a year old), I guess there's time! 😄

Went to Mcds in MY2022 and applied handbrake to pay and then the handbrake would not disengage automatically and was stuck on. In the end I had to manually press the handbrake button to disengage . Not sure what happened and not occurred again 

4 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

Went to a Drive thru in MY2022 and applied handbrake to pay and then the handbrake would not disengage automatically and was stuck on. In the end I had to manually press the handbrake button to disengage . Not sure what happened and not occurred again 

Do you mean you put the car into park? And then coming out of park it wouldn't go into drive 

4 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

Do you mean you put the car into park? And then coming out of park it wouldn't go into drive 

No I was in drive mode in a queue of cars and Handbrake on but handbrake would not release when tried to move off 

I have rewrote my original post 

You were in D with the handbrake on? Was the car pulling against the handbrake?

If you applied the EPB/handbrake manually, I think if you hold it down too long it disables the auto-disengage...?

Also, I think if in D with the handbrake on for too long with MG2 pulling against it, MG2 can overheat and may turn off to cool down, but this is mostly speculation - My Yaris has flashed up overheat warnings from being stationary while applying power to MG2 before, when I was queuing on a steep hill and accidentally holding the car on MG2 idle. I rarely use the EPB unless in conjunction with P-mode so haven't discovered all its idiosyncrasies.

I tend to use the brake auto-hold rather than the EPB to hold the car still, unless e.g. waiting for a level crossing or motorway closure, then I put it in P and let the EPB auto-engage that way.

1 hour ago, Chriss27 said:

Went to Mcds in MY2022 and applied handbrake to pay and then the handbrake would not disengage automatically and was stuck on. In the end I had to manually press the handbrake button to disengage . Not sure what happened and not occurred again 

Something similar happened to me in a C-HR hybrid with the auto handbrake.  I think it might have been cos I took my seatbelt off to get my wallet out. 
edit… mine was possibly in Park at the time.

1 hour ago, Chriss27 said:

No I was in drive mode in a queue of cars and Handbrake on but handbrake would not release when tried to move off 

I have rewrote my original post 

i don't use that procedure, i always go into park first. Will give that a try sometime thou 🙂 

Well update to the Anti-roll Bar bush issue...

The knocking sound is not that - they have just called and told me all done but the knocking is still there... so they are keeping the car until end of tomorrow to fit new shock absorbers (as that is now the next thing they think it is).

The waiting game now...

• Thanks 1

Update:

Shock absorbers changed and the noise is gone 👌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

Update:

Shock absorbers changed and the noise is gone 👌

Good news:) did they say what one or were both faulty 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 7:37 PM, fourbanks said:

Good news:) did they say what one or were both faulty 

I think it was just the drivers one... did not think to ask if they were changing both.

Still all quiet now 👍

• Like 1