Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Damper / shock absorber options - Aygo, Yaris?

DanRalley

Hi,

I wanted to find out if anyone has fitted aftermarket shock absorbers from an aygo or Yaris? Is this even possible? If so, it may open up options for aftermarket dampers from the likes of Eibach, bilstein, koni etc.

My goal is to improve the mid-speed ride of the car.

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by DanRalley
Reference to aygo

34 minutes ago, DanRalley said:

I wanted to find out if anyone has fitted aftermarket shock absorbers from an IQ or Yaris?

Presume you mean Aygo or Yaris - as per the topic title.

Thank you. Post corrected. 

Yaris and Aygo are very different, the spring weight and the way the shocks are valve to suit the car/engine

Don't go with coilovers unless you are going to get it properly setup, tien shocks and springs are nearly £800 a set, Eibach springs are around £180-200

as you have an iq3 is, that the 1.33 ?

On 5/23/2022 at 5:57 PM, flash22 said:

Don't go with coilovers unless you are going to get it properly setup, tien shocks and springs are nearly £800 a set, eibach springs are around £180-200

as you have an iq3 is, that the 1.33 ?

Correct, the IQ3 has the 1.33 1NR-FE engine.

Agreed. I've always had coilovers setup professionally (but not always corner-weighted)

The Tein street advance Z look like a good option because they use O.E top mounts. I've found pillowball top mounts to always make the ride noticeably harsher. Spring rates notwithstanding.

As you say, they are very expensive, but I can't see any quality dampers from the likes of Koni, Eibach, Bilstein etc. A quality spring and damper setup would suit the purpose of this car much better.

OE shocks are a mare to source, there was a European member on here what ended up going to Aston Martin iirc

OEM are KYB they only list the rears now, Toyota lists the fronts for £95 each

try Googling Scion IQ, you may have better luck as the states has a much bigger market

OEM front shocks

48510-74041 or 48510-74042

48520-74041 or 48520-74042

Required dust covers 48684-74010

Just a thought Spax or the like may be able to re-valve the Stanion, rears seem no issue 48530-74040

On 5/23/2022 at 5:07 PM, DanRalley said:

Hi,

I wanted to find out if anyone has fitted aftermarket shock absorbers from an aygo or Yaris? Is this even possible? If so, it may open up options for aftermarket dampers from the likes of eibach, bilstein, koni etc.

My goal is to improve the mid-speed ride of the car.

Thanks,

Dan

You may find something if searching for Scion IQ

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2022 at 9:04 PM, flash22 said:

OE shocks are a mare to source, there was a European member on here what ended up going to Aston Martin iirc

OEM are KYB they only list the rears now, Toyota lists the fronts for £95 each

try Googling Scion IQ, you may have better luck as the states has a much bigger market

OEM front shocks

48510-74041 or 48510-74042

48520-74041 or 48520-74042

Required dust covers 48684-74010

Thank you. Sorry for the delay in getting back to this.

Also worth mentioning none of these part numbers cross-reference with other models. If I remember correctly I used 7zap to do this. 

For those looking to improve the ride quality, the Tein option could be worth it. According to their blurb they address much of the issues I'm getting with the ride quality:

"The original car's tall unstable feel is suppressed and front/rear body roll balance is change to make rear movements more stable, for stability improvement. Steering feel is set to be milder than the original, in order to suppress sudden behavior attributable to short wheelbase of the original car. Stiff ticking/tapping feel on street at low to mid speed is reduced, to improve comfortability for everyday driving" 

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Shouting removed
  • Like 1

I have asked if they offer a lower spring rate for the Tein. Awaiting a reply

The rears are the same as the yaris, the front shocks are unique to the IQ

upgraded shocks try fensport or DC performance but i think they will be £700+ for the kit

BC does coilovers for the iQ. They tend to be good. I don't think they are pillow ball. Yes, they're about £1k but that is much cheaper than kit from the likes of Öhlins or Nitron. You can always talk to them and discuss the spring rates.