Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Hatchback or Tourer

Coypi

Looking for advice on which would be better to purchase

I bought an estate because I like the look of them. I have no need for an estate mind.

Partly depends what your needs are. 

Family? Usual number of occupants?  Rear space or not? Large or small boot? Garaged - will it fit? Etc.

If it's just for moving you around, hatchback; In fact don't bother with the hatchback and just get a Yaris in that case :laugh: 

If you actually carry things other than shopping (e.g. luggage, plants, flat pack furniture, animals, people with attached legs etc. ) the estate will be better for all involved.

• Haha 1

In this particular car the estate wins by all means, although hatchback is still very good car with a limited rear leg room. I can do with hatchback for my needs as we have two cars but if we are done to one car then estate has to be for more comfort on the rear seats and extra boot space. 

• Like 1

If you have to fit a child's seat in the back, the TS is the one to go for. I reckon the TS looks better too, and you don't get your trousers dirty from the rear bumper when you load the boot!

• Like 1

Estate for me. Just myself and used to the space, as had several Volvo estates from 2002. 740 was my first bought car in 2002 after passing my test in 1999, then 240 and 940. Have an Auris TS.

James.👍

• Like 1

We have a hatchback as our daughter is now at university and has her own car. If regularly carrying more than just the wife and myself, I would have considered the TS.

• Like 1

If you don't need space, go for HB. Also most cab driver drive TS, so please be aware if this affects you. 

• Like 1

No specific answer to this question, as we have no idea what your personal needs are. Go to a dealer, have a look at both versions and work out what you need from a car. Lowest price and no large items to carry and not many adults in the rear? - go for the HB. A bit more money to spend - or need to carry larger items - go for the TS. Personally I was moving from an Avensis estate - and have larger / longer items to carry for my business - so the TS was a no- brainer choice. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, is there any difference between ride quality and noise etc?

1 hour ago, Coypi said:

Thanks for the replies, is there any difference between ride quality and noise etc?

Ride quality perhaps as the estate has a slightly longer wheelbase. 

• Like 1

After swapping the hatchback for the estate I'd go for the estate. It could just be me but I feel like it's a more comfortable drive and does slightly better mpg. There's also the benefit of having loads more space in the back at boot, great for kids and/or dog and the occasional trip to the tip

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Coypi said:

I took out both before I ordered mine. I thought the estate would be too large (never driven an estate prior to the test drive). 
I didn't notice any difference in ride quality, or noise, and both drove as you'd expect.

I opted for the TS. I have no need for an estate, but if on the off chance we took people out, there's no chance anyone is going to fit behind my seat in the hatch, I'm 6ft 3 and like to have me seat fairly far back.
The TS, with the longer wheelbase, gave that extra seat, and with added boot (2ltr hatch is pretty poor), was the route for us.

• Like 2

@Coypi I had a few cars in the past I've just come from a vauxhall astra hatchback to now a toyota corolla touring sport excel 1.8.

Reason of purchase of a estate is that my children are at university so back & forth plus I'm a electrician.

I seen the price difference between the 2 & hardly any difference.

The space in the rear isn't that great but more roomy in the estate.

Put it this way you can't go wrong with a estate because you have more opportunities with it is shopping, moving, day trips/holidays, going to IKEA 🙈 

The 1.8 has a bigger boot too than the 2.0.

Even though we have 2 toyota cars other 1 is a new yaris but the family enjoy the estate due to space.

In the aesthetics front, I think Toyota hit a home run with the new Corolla in the hatchback and estate forms, not so much with the sedan, so in terms of looks you should be covered with both cars. I tested both and couldn't feel any handling difference, but you can certainly feel the size difference while traveling through city traffic, at least just in perception.

If space is a concern, the TS is a must...

Although I have to say that is not that much compared to other estates, like the VW Golf or the Skoda Octavia, but we just love the looks, equipment, power unit and reliability of the Corolla. Moreover, the price is just not comparable with the other two! The equipment of the Toyota in every spec is way, way better than the competition. Unfortunately the space is certainly not that much, though.  I tried to fit a bike without dismantling the handlebar and it wasn't possible; it is related with the less than boxy shape of the rear end of the car -we love it and that's one of the reasons we bought it-, which reduces the interior volume quite a lot.

The Corolla is a safe choice!

• Like 3

If you get the 2.0 you almost *need* to get the TS; You can barely slide two slices of toast into the boot of the HB 2.0 :laugh: 

I do wish Toyoa had mounted the rear seats further back in the HB Corolla and esp. the Mk4 Yaris tho' - The Yaris has such a massive boot compared to previous models I wonder if they did it for the Boot Capacity in Litres figure, whereas I'd rather have a smaller boot and more rear passenger space (Reasoning that if I need more boot space I can fold the seats down, whereas if I need more rear passenger space I can't really cut my passenger's legs off and put them in the boot...)

Or better yet if they put the sliding rear seats back in all models! That was one of the best things about the Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris and I do miss it!!

• Like 4

Raised boot floor on 2.0 hatchback or 1.8 with spare tyre its a cool option. I get it, it reduces the overall boot capacity but when you put the seats down makes the car a small estate like super flat floor. Here what I mean:

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-reviews/2020-toyota-corolla-sx-hybrid-hatch-review

This is so helpful to load longer items without been worrying they may snap because of the boot floor deviation. Some people prefer deeper boot and I can also understand that, but for me flat folded seats are very handy  👍

• Like 1