Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Semiconductor crisis forces Toyoya to slash June/July production

FROSTYBALLS

As consequence of this, my previous car (not a Toyota) was in a garage for 4 months waiting for a faulty sensor replacement.  

• Like 1

I must admit I am surprised this is still a thing... what are these chip fabs making instead?!

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

I must admit I am surprised this is still a thing... what are these chip fabs making instead?!

I really don't know, I would have thought that car chips would been simpler to source, easier to produce, and more lucrative than SOC's for phones, etc. 

Perhaps they've got shortages in raw materials too. 

From memory, with production cutbacks due to Covid, most vehicle manufacturers cut back on chip orders, and their place in the order priorities were taken up by computer and phone manufacturers, etc. When vehicle production got back to near normal, the manufacturers found they were lower down the order priority.

This was on top of the effects of Covid on the chip manufacturers and their supply chains.

• Like 1

It's just annoying as the car industry blame the computing industry, the computing industry blame the mobile industry, they blame the car industry etc. etc. - Every industry is still experiencing shortages! It doesn't make sense! They shouldn't *all* be experiencing shortages!

Are we still missing a load of chip factories?! I thought they were all back on-line!

Very sus!

38 minutes ago, Ben88 said:

I really don't know, I would have thought that car chips would been simpler to source, easier to produce, and more lucrative than SOC's for phones, etc. 

Perhaps they've got shortages in raw materials too. 

It can't be raw materials - The silicon comes from sand! But maybe you're half right in that they're having trouble meeting demand for the raw wafers, as silicon wafers have to be very pure before they get doped and turned into semiconductors and I can imagine the surge in demand outstripping supply.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

It's just annoying as the car industry blame the computing industry, the computing industry blame the mobile industry, they blame the car industry etc. etc. - Every industry is still experiencing shortages! It doesn't make sense! They shouldn't *all* be experiencing shortages!

Are we still missing a load of chip factories?! I thought they were all back on-line!

Very sus!

It can't be raw materials - The silicon comes from sand! But maybe you're half right in that they're having trouble meeting demand for the raw wafers, as silicon wafers have to be very pure before they get doped and turned into semiconductors and I can imagine the surge in demand outstripping supply.

It is indeed.We are naming our price for wafers just now.Most of our output is heading to France.So i guess it'll end up in the Yaris and Cross.

Always adjusting production to meet demand.But it's still full throttle for now.

• Like 1

Ahh, interesting! It's good to get some confirmation one way or another!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...