Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 SR180 2009 - Poor fuel economy - 30mpg

acrmnsm

My Rav 4 has crummy economy and I am not sure how to solve it.
If I do a long motorway journey at 80mph in 6th, I get 30-31mpg, others say thay get 38-44.
I have done several 15min at 4000rpm motorway jaunts to clear the DPF but did 2 x 100 miles yesterday and its still poor.
Any ideas?

Measured by computer or filling the tank?

21 hours ago, acrmnsm said:

My Rav 4 has crummy economy and I am not sure how to solve it.
If I do a long motorway journey at 80mph in 6th, I get 30-31mpg, others say thay get 38-44.
I have done several 15min at 4000rpm motorway jaunts to clear the DPF but did 2 x 100 miles yesterday and its still poor.
Any ideas?

Try sticking to the speed limit? No, seriously, speed kills economy, so your SR180 may well get 40 mpg at 60 mph, but has no chance at all at 80 mph.

My SR180 averaged 37.3 mpg over 56k miles. The best brim-to-brim I ever got was around 42 mpg; the worst around 30 mpg.

As Brendan implies, you need to do brim-to-brim calculations to get a realistic idea of your true economy ...

Well you've got a few things going against you there; The RAV4 is a bit of a brick, aerodynamically speaking, and the SR180 was Toyota's attempt at a 'performance diesel' so it tends to sacrifice a lot of economy for a more sporty/responsive feel.

40-ish seems to be the general average mpg I see people get with them (Although usually on the Auris, so that'd be pretty good on the RAV4!), but yeah unless you drive slower it's not likely to go up.

There aren't many cars that can keep high mpgs at 80mph!

Yeah I do brim to brim calcs. The computer reads a bit higher at 32-33. And wierdly, the best economy is on the motorway at 80 thats why I mentioned it. At 70 on cruise control it drops to 28, town and A roads it is down to 25. 
I kind of feel like there is something wrong rather than my driving, I am not a leadfoot. I have tried driving really slow, or really heavy accelleration from lights etc, and all in between, its just giving  v poor milage.  I regularly get 48 out of my 2.2accord tourer on motorway commutes. The rav has never been above 31. 

Tyre pressures? That can affect your mpg

Mine improved when I put in the "economy chip"