Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windscreen replaced

Rav Rob

Well had windscreen replaced yesterday by Autoglass. Took a week for them to get the glass and an available appointment arranged. Took just over 2 hours before I could drive away. Had to be taken to a depot to have camera aligned as well as reglazed as is common these days. They appear to have done a good job, no evidence of the swap or damage and spent a lot of time on Lane keep today and its still tracking perfectly.

I personally think the original glass was defective, it wasn't long before it picked up one chip that spidered, then unrelated it virtually cracked right up the middle in one line with no apparent hit point. My last RAV survived its whole life with one very small chip repair, this one was in a right state within 9000 miles!

One thing to note, the depot guys were great, but Autoglass call centre seems to be chaotic, first agent told me they had no windscreens in stock and couldn't give an appointment until purchasing found one, tried dealers instead but they just use 3rd parties such as Autoglass, went back to Autoglass an hour later to be told by another agent actually they do have RAV4 windscreens in stock and arranged an appointment! 

It was nice being out and about in the RAV today after a week in a rented Ford Ecosport, the RAV is sooooooo much nicer.

• Like 1

Autoglass did a good job on my 4.4 - eventually. Despite telling them the exact spec. of my car they had the wrong screen initially. It was still usable so just a minor inconvenience.

Not had one done on a Toyota, but I did have one replaced on the Subaru XT which has a lot more going on behind the glass.  The three cameras especially the the HD stereo pair were carefully protected as were all the sensors and the job completed on the drive. Tow guys turned up one to get training on doing this type of car. 

With my previous 4.4 took the car out of the garage, on a sunny day. Sat on drive few hours later long crack across the screen. Autoglass replaced the screen and recalibrated the cameras. 4 weeks later call from autoglass requesting that I take the car back for rechecking. Initially claimed they checked a small sample. Wasn’t keen as half hour drive to them. On further questioning they reluctantly admitted they had discovered one of there technicians was not doing the calibration correctly. Apparently mine was fine and didn’t need recalibrating if you can believe them.

30 minutes ago, robo1 said:

On further questioning they reluctantly admitted they had discovered one of there technicians was not doing the calibration correctly. Apparently mine was fine and didn’t need recalibrating if you can believe them.

I do worry about these re-calibrations being done in windscreen shops, I have even heard of them being done "over the internet" , they are not a quick lick and out the door, it takes some time to do, personally I would not want a windscreen fitter doing them, the calibration is very specific the way it's done and if not done correctly, may not work when needed. I may be doing them a disservice but............

Would have preferred  my local Toyota garage to do the work but insurance company has an arrangement with Autoglass. 
Also heard that screen replacement was done by a outside contractor even if you were dealing with the Toyota dealer.

• Like 1

It is common practice to outsource the fitting of screens, it is not a technician job, however the recalibration is, and that is how it should be, in my book 

Thanks for the information regarding Toyota being able to do the recalibration. Would be happier if it was done by them and certainly would contact Toyota if it happens with my present RAV. 

• Like 1

The motor trade gave so much of their business away. Exhausts, tyres, batteries, air con etc. Now desperately trying to get it back.

Wonder how many Toyota dealers have ever calibrated a 'screen'.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

The motor trade gave so much of their business away. Exhausts, tyres, batteries, air con etc. Now desperately trying to get it back.

Wonder how many Toyota dealers have ever calibrated a 'screen'.

Not many I suspect. I was just relieved they could get a windscreen in the end.

Just had my first service, I switched to a different dealer this time. I must say I was really impressed, treated like royalty.
But a bit of a waste of time making and sending me a video of someone doing a walkaround the car showing the tyres and brake pads are still good, on a car that has done 9500 miles!

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 8:51 PM, Rav Rob said:

Not many I suspect. 

As this is a major part of the safety system for the vehicle ALL of them I would hope. 

10 hours ago, Parts-King said:

As this is a major part of the safety system for the vehicle ALL of them I would hope. 

Hmm, hope and expectation........................

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links