Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fast/Eco switch on the climate control

Michael L

Just completed the first 1000 miles in my Touring Sports and still finding things to query. Can anyone tell me about the Fast/Eco switch on the a/c? The manual has no mention of it at all as far as I can see.

The mpg seems to have declined with the warm weather. I'm guessing this is the a/c? It's down about 4 mpg at the moment.

Thanks all

• Like 1

I don't know if it's the same in the Corolla, but in my Yaris it mainly seems to determine how aggressive the fan runs; On Eco it never really runs that strongly but on Fast it's like driving with someone using a vacuum in the car :laugh: 

That does have a knock-on effect as the AC or engine will run more to replace the cold/heat that the faster fan takes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael L said:

The mpg seems to have declined with the warm weather. I'm guessing this is the a/c? It's down about 4 mpg at the moment.

I've just reached 1000 miles in my Corolla and my MPG is still going up. AC will reduce your MPG slightly though. Hope you're enjoying your car, i'm loving mine! The fuel economy is insane, especially when i compare it to my previous car!

• Like 3

I find the AC makes almost negligible difference to the mpg in mine.

This is the first car I've owned where using the AC uses less fuel than using the heating! :laugh: 

Monday I did a 10 mile trip to town 85 mpg at 23 mph average with 61 mpg at 21 mph back.  Dual carriage way both directions for about 5 miles. 

As you say, insane compared with my old Mercedes 220D that could achieve 48 but only on a long journey. 

• Like 2

Having owned my Icon Tech for a week now (having moved from Auris) I am delighted.   Regarding MPG I am trying to find overall MPG from each fill up, I can only seem to get MPG for each journey.  Can you assist please?

You can change this via the dash MFD - It's in settings somewhere (You'll have to explore or check the manual for more detailed steps!).

IIRC you can select between Tank average, Trip average and Lifetime average.

You can also reset/clear the average via the big infotainment display and it'll start recalculating it - I usually do that every fillup for the tank average.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

You can change this via the dash MFD - It's in settings somewhere (You'll have to explore or check the manual for more detailed steps!).

IIRC you can select between Tank average, Trip average and Lifetime average.

You can also reset/clear the average via the big infotainment display and it'll start recalculating it - I usually do that every fillup for the tank average.

Remember you are stating what a Yaris does, the Corolla is not the same, for example the adaptive cruise can only jump in 5 mph intervals, not like the 1 mph quick press, 5 mph long press the Yaris offers.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kental said:

Remember you are stating what a Yaris does, the Corolla is not the same, for example the adaptive cruise can only jump in 5 mph intervals, not like the 1 mph quick press, 5 mph long press the Yaris offers.

Only in Constant Speed Cruise can you go up by 1 mph...

I find this to be off-putting in Adaptive.  Just keep it the same Toyota!

• Like 4