Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reliability.

Max_Headroom

Could i ask members who have the older Yaris hybrid (i am looking around 2017 - 2018) how they have found reliability i have looked through the forums and there doesn't seem to be any major issues but its a big forum with thousands of threads so i may have missed them.

Sorry for all the questions today as you can tell i am keen to learn as much as i can so i can make my final decision.

18 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Could i ask members who have the older Yaris hybrid (i am looking around 2017 - 2018) how they have found reliability i have looked through the forums and there doesn't seem to be any major issues but its a big forum with thousands of threads so i may have missed them.

Sorry for all the questions today as you can tell i am keen to learn as much as i can so i can make my final decision.

Max,I`ve had Yaris MK1 for 20 years--no problems

Had MK3 for 3 years-no problems

Have a Lexus GS Hybrid for 10 years --no problems

Toyota are significantly more reliable than any other marque.

Buy from an official Toyota Dealer if you can and with a full Toyota Service History.

Good luck.

• Like 3

TBH none of the hybrids have had any major recurring/common issues that I've seen in my time here (Except maybe the 12v Battery thing, but IMHO that is less a problem with the car than the owner not using the car enough! :tongue:); Heck we still have people with the original Mk2 Prius still on their original traction Battery - That's nearly 20 years old! And NiMH, not lithium!

I doubt any EV Battery will last that long and still be usable.

One thing to remember with the hybrids is having two motors mean they can both support each other - They probably get half the wear that they would have if they were on their own, and that contributes to their longevity. The hybrids consistently score highly in reliability charts, even beating out most EVs!

• Like 5

The Australians (I think) have a saying: If you want to go into the outback, take a Land Rover. If you want to come back, take a Toyota.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

The Australians (I think) have a saying: If you want to go into the outback, take a Land Rover. If you want to come back, take a Toyota.

Thanks 🙏 That’s very true 👌

3 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Could i ask members who have the older Yaris hybrid (i am looking around 2017 - 2018) how they have found reliability i have looked through the forums and there doesn't seem to be any major issues

The sample size on a forum like this isn't big enough. Sites like Honest John, etc, are probably better indicators though it can be hard to find data on specific models.

As others have said Toyota are generally high in reliability and their hybrids have about 20 years of experience behind them. The number of Prius used as taxis tells you something.

You are more likely to be disappointed with some other aspects of the car than it's reliability, so check carefully for the functions that are important to you ... Eg. Our 2018 has cruise control but no speed limiter, which is infuriating to me 😬

• Like 1

That the Yaris is the smallest Toyota hybrid, might draw you to question if the downsizing has caused the various hybrid parts to become less durable.  Whilst I don't own a Yaris, I've yet to see any evidence of that at all!

The engines themselves of all Toyota hybrids are not especially different to their normal petrol cars, and the transmission, which is completely different (!), is ultra-reliable, and has no special or expensive maintenance requirements. 

But the average mileages of Yarises in general are relatively low in comparison to Priuses and some Aurises, where the cars are often worked quite hard.

Also, importantly as the economy goes down the pan, the theft of the Yaris's catalytic converters is almost completely unheard of.  This is arguably down to a different design/location of the exhaust pipework; making 'scumbag access' much, much harder.

Nothing to do with reliability but, It might be worth seeing how a Yaris hybrid fares with your Cumbrian terrain - it might get a bit noisy on some of those inclines...

• Like 3

“That the Yaris is the smallest Toyota hybrid, might draw you to question if the downsizing has caused the various hybrid parts to become less durable.  Whilst I don't own a Yaris, I've yet to see any evidence of that at all! “

Previous generation Yaris hybrid has slightly different transmission cooling than Prius and Auris, only transmission fluid cooled while other two has coolant that runs through it too. Weber auto explains that in his Toyota hybrids transmission types videos. 👍 

Latest Yaris hybrid perhaps is more like its bigger sisters. 

• Like 1

That new Yaris Hybrid is a proper pocket rocket, great car with even better MPG, my only complaint is the tiny switch gear and dials on the steering wheel/dash 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Parts-King said:

That new Yaris Hybrid is a proper pocket rocket, great car with even better MPG,

Sadly funds wont allow me to buy one of those.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The Mk3 isn't so great for hilly places as it's much more sensitive to load than the Mk4; Most people who had a Mk3 in hilly places didn't find them especially economical - I remember me and madasafish consistently getting better mpgs in our much older Mk1 D4Ds at the time :tongue: :laugh: 

Where the Mk3 does best is a mix of A-roads and urban driving - The drivetrain seems set up to work best in those environments and you can get Mk4-levels of economy.

However the more powerful MG2 and reduction gear, allowing the car to run EV-only at much higher speeds, gives the Mk4 a big advantage on hills and motorways over the Mk3. The new engine's ability to switch to Otto-cycle mode under load and combine with the MG2's increased power also makes it feel a lot more powerful - I'd agree with PartsKing's pocket rocket comments :naughty: :laugh: (Testing that does hurt the mpg somewhat tho' :whistling1:)

They are really expensive tho' - I think the jump is one of the biggest between generations of Yaris :sad:

My original plan was to wait 3 years and get one 2nd hand at a lower price, although a combination of Sadiq KHAAAAN!, my Mk2's spectacular lack of reliability, and my local dealer badly dropping the ball forced my hand.

It doesn't help that the 0% finance has been discontinued for some reason either :sad: 

On the bright side, so many people seem to have gotten Mk4s I think you'll be able to get one for a lot less money 2nd hand in 3-4 years time (Or at least when the ridiculous hike bubble of 2nd hand cars bursts!)

• Like 2