Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New to Toyota

Leelanza

Hi, I’m new to owning Toyota, I have a 2011 Auris hybrid, I have a rather silly question, I start my car with the push button, after about 15 seconds the engine kicks in and last for about 2 mins before going quiet, is this normal? Are hybrids supposed to be quiet on the Auris on start up? Thanks 

It's a slightly annoying trait I've found with mine too - Unless I have more than 4/8 bars of charge at power-on (Which is almost never in the Mk4!!) and can hit the EV-mode button fast enough, my Mk4 also just fires up the ICE when I first start it, even if I'm not moving.

Now, it is deliberate and normal so don't worry there.

The reasoning is to get the ICE ready to work as soon as possible, so e.g. get oil pressure up and fresh oil circulated round the engine, and start to get it warmed up and make sure it's all working properly, maybe put a bit more charge into the traction Battery etc.

It does make some sense, as if it didn't the engine could very easily find itself going straight from a cold start to motorway speeds which would not do its longevity any favours !

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's a slightly annoying trait I've found with mine too - Unless I have more than 4/8 bars of charge at power-on (Which is almost never in the Mk4!!) and can hit the EV-mode button fast enough, my Mk4 also just fires up the ICE when I first start it, even if I'm not moving.

Now, it is deliberate and normal so don't worry there.

The reasoning is to get the ICE ready to work as soon as possible, so e.g. get oil pressure up and fresh oil circulated round the engine, and start to get it warmed up and make sure it's all working properly, maybe put a bit more charge into the traction battery etc.

It does make some sense, as if it didn't the engine could very easily find itself going straight from a cold start to motorway speeds which would not do its longevity any favours !

Well that’s good to hear that it’s not a bad sign, everything else about the car I’m confident in, but I just didn’t notice the noise at first, might be because I was on a “new” car high haha, thanks for the reassurance 

• Like 1