Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Right decision?

Leelanza

On 5/26/2022 at 7:04 AM, Gerg said:

Whilst it's not going to affect your car's reliability, when I considered buying the same car some years back, I noticed that plenty of those I visited had damaged or missing parcel shelves - it would seem they won't suffer rough handling, and they're surprisingly expensive!  If I remember correctly, the plastic reinforced pivot point gets broken away from the rest of the shelf.

Also, the T-Spirit alloys are very prone to kerbing damage.  Every car I looked at had some degree of this, and a few were horrendous.

my parcel shelf is ok at the minute but I’ll keep an eye on it, the alloys are a little scuffed but tbh what 11 year old cars aren’t 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 12:46 AM, Leelanza said:

Hi guys, so I’ve recently bought a Toyota auris 2011 hybrid 1.8 t spirit (older model full history and only 25000 miles on the clock), I’m loving it so far but as with any new car you wonder if it’s right, I used to have Ford Focus and the only thing that beats the Auris on is boot space, I plan on keeping up with service history, I suppose my question(s) is, what are things I should look out for? It’s reliability, is the hybrid battery life up to 10 years or is mileage the key factor? 

thanks 

A75BDAA1-5F46-43C5-B921-2AA735B5385F.jpeg

No significant reliability issues, using Toyota for servicing includes a Hybrid Health check and you can keep your Hybrid Battery warrantied up to the cars 15th birthday.

A Catloc would be a very good purchase, Toyota also offer an additional tilt alarm which will trigger if the car is jacked up.

And finally a check & clean of the Hybrid Battery cooling fan, pre 2014 cars did not have filters so can suffer from a build up of fluff n lint on the cooling fan

image.png.d54dd10e5419bcffd10c172c1ba3bcfd.png  

which can overheat the Hybrid Battery a HHC will cover the battery should it fail and you can buy a filter to fit over the cooling fan intake

image.thumb.png.e901d195cddc6b7f0e9df9c061d91261.png

to drastically reduce the fluff getting sucked in, just keep the filter clean. Order G92DH-12020 from you local Toyota parts department.

• Like 2

I do plan on getting it serviced at Toyota as I’ve found other places don’t offer what I need, thanks for the advice 

On 5/28/2022 at 7:07 AM, Catlover said:

Your car no longer comes under the Toyota Relax warranty unfortunately. That went up to 10years. The good news is the hybrid battery does have a warranty up to 15 years so long as you get it checked out annually at a Toyota dealer. If you continue having the car serviced at a Toyota dealer the Hybrid battery health check is free, otherwise it costs about £45…. Worth it. The hybrid battery consists of cells that are individual and can be swapped out individually, meaning if you get a hybrid battery problem it can be resolved at fairly low cost. But get the annual check, at least to 15 years.      
The 12v battery is in the boot (no space under the bonnet), and for safety reasons (splitting in an accident and acid “flying” about the cabin area) replacement needs to be an AGM battery (Absorbent Glass Mat). Cost about £30 from Toyota dealer (Yuasa is a good make), and Toyota dealers price is VERY competitive (usually).       
Go on You Tube and search for Toyota Prius driving techniques. The hybrid engineering in the Toyota Prius is the same in the Auris you have. Lots of videos, mostly from USA, showing how to hyper mile Toyota hybrids. Simple techniques that will get you up to 65mpg in the summer and 55mpg in the winter….. it’s all in the driving techniques.            
Maybe you will do the same as I did. My first Toyota hybrid was a 2010 Auris. Loved it, six months later I passed it onto the wife and got a gen3 Prius (all Prius are hybrids), 2010. Loved it, six months later traded it in for 66 plate gen4 Prius…..that was brilliant…… best car I ever had and probably best car I ever will have had. Hyper mailing I got 96.x mpg over a single 50 mile journey, and 92.x mpg over a single 100 mile journey. Many times in 80+ mpg, always disappointed if I couldn’t reach 70+ mpg. Those were in summer months, 10mpg less in winter.         
Keep tyre pressures to at least manufacturers stated, or maybe up to 3 psi more. You got 17” wheels which I found uncomfortable ie potholes, speed bumps etc, on the Prius I had 15” optional fit tyres/wheels and they were much more comfortable, and tyres cheaper. 15” is an option for your Auris.

Keep it serviced, look after hybrid battery as others have explained, especially cooling, and ENJOY. 👍

I for one have missed your comments since selling your car 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Eddie.  I have joined a couple of forums, one for Skoda CitiGo cars, and one VW UP owners that allows CitiGo and Seat Mii owners as well. A lot quieter then this forum.  TOC is a very vibrant site.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Catlover said:

Thank you Eddie.  I have joined a couple of forums, one for Skoda CitiGo cars, and one VW UP owners that allows CitiGo and Seat Mii owners as well. A lot quieter then this forum.  TOC is a very vibrant site.

Check out briskoda forums, they were lively when I had occasion to peruse them a while ago.

• Like 3

Good call Alan, my previous 4 cars have been Skodas and was a member on Briskoda.  Lots of knowedgeable people on there.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Catlover said:

Hi Joe, 

what happened to the Toyotas? I was wondering why are you not coming around anymore? How did you decide to go for a Skodas? Smaller vag cars are fine as long as they are not bigger than golf size 😉👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alan333 said:

Check out briskoda forums, they were lively when I had occasion to peruse them a while ago.

Hi Alan,  I have joined Briskoda, it may be lively overall and I do pay a visit to comments on the whole range of vehicles, particularly the Octavia and Fabia as we had both late 1990’s/early 2000’s.  However the CityGo section is quiet, if there are 2 posts a day it is busy. 😀

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi Joe, 

what happened to the Toyotas? I was wondering why are you not coming around anymore? How did you decide to go for a Skodas? Smaller vag cars are fine as long as they are not bigger than golf size 😉👍

Hi Tony, as you know I loved the two Toyotas we had, particularly the Prius. But I got thinking some day they will have too go (the age thing), and as crazy prices going for good used cars I decided to take advantage before the bubble bursts. Initially looking at an Aygo, we had a C1 back in 2006 for 6 years and fun to drive. First one we went to look at had been sold day before. However I looked at their stock, about a dozen cars, and a VW UP caught my eye. Took it a test drive and it surprised my how nippy it was. It was. It for us, only one key and dealer wouldn’t provide a second so we left. eBay came up with a 2015 CitiGo, 75bhp, 5 door in red……but in Bridgend, South Wales. We went down by train, bought it, drove it home and Christine said she wanted one, so I found her one later in the week on Anglesey, north Wales. Sold the Toyota’s via two of the online places like, but not WBAC. The Prius went to Motorway and they paid what our discussions talked about. The Auris hybrid, one firm actually sent 2 guys with a flatbed to take it away. They looked around it, drove round the block, called me out and pointed out two paint “defects”. They showed the first one, I looked, got closer to look, then said “hang on while I get a magnifying glass”. Conversation didn’t get any better, especially when they said they had rang the boss who said the best they could offer was £700 less then provisionally agreed. I said “sorry guys that you come for nothing, but you not going away with my car”. End of.  Later that day I got a message from another firm that had been quite. They said my car was in a dealer auction that afternoon. Result was I got £1300 more then the first company offered. The dealer came and he went away a happy man.  I got £700 less then I paid for it July 2017. good deal.a.           
 Very happy with the two CitiGo’s, soon got used to the manual box/clutch. A solid little motor. I miss the 10 speaker JBL sound system in the Prius, but it’s not the end of the world.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Hi Alan,  I have joined Briskoda, it may be lively overall and I do pay a visit to comments on the whole range of vehicles, particularly the Octavia and Fabia as we had both late 1990’s/early 2000’s.  However the CityGo section is quiet, if there are 2 posts a day it is busy. 😀

Hi Tony, as you know I loved the two Toyotas we had, particularly the Prius. But I got thinking some day they will have too go (the age thing), and as crazy prices going for good used cars I decided to take advantage before the bubble bursts. Initially looking at an Aygo, we had a C1 back in 2006 for 6 years and fun to drive. First one we went to look at had been sold day before. However I looked at their stock, about a dozen cars, and a VW UP caught my eye. Took it a test drive and it surprised my how nippy it was. It was. It for us, only one key and dealer wouldn’t provide a second so we left. EBay came up with a 2015 CitiGo, 75bhp, 5 door in red……but in Bridgend, South Wales. We went down by train, bought it, drove it home and Christine said she wanted one, so I found her one later in the week on Anglesey, north Wales. Sold the Toyota’s via two of the online places like, but not WBAC. The Prius went to Motorway and they paid what our discussions talked about. The Auris hybrid, one firm actually sent 2 guys with a flatbed to take it away. They looked around it, drove round the block, called me out and pointed out two paint “defects”. They showed the first one, I looked, got closer to look, then said “hang on while I get a magnifying glass”. Conversation didn’t get any better, especially when they said they had rang the boss who said the best they could offer was £700 less then provisionally agreed. I said “sorry guys that you come for nothing, but you not going away with my car”. End of.  Later that day I got a message from another firm that had been quite. They said my car was in a dealer auction that afternoon. Result was I got £1300 more then the first company offered. The dealer came and he went away a happy man.  I got £700 less then I paid for it July 2017. good deal.a.           
 Very happy with the two CitiGo’s, soon got used to the manual box/clutch. A solid little motor. I miss the 10 speaker JBL sound system in the Prius, but it’s not the end of the world.

Thanks Joe  for the update 👍 I am glad it worked for you and we all need change form time to time. I personally always like vag cars and even still have some in the family. These small ones are the best of all from the brand. I know someone who is a master technician from Vw and he works on super expensive cars, he is like the car care nut but from another country and he works only with vag cars, his own motor is vw up 👌👍 Enjoy your new cars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Up!'s are nice cars; I actually... *whisper*  like them better than the Aygo! *shhh*

• Like 2

The wife’s CitiGo is 60bhp, most are, mine is a 75bhp, can’t tell the difference. A guy on one of the forums says the 75bhp different characteristic kicks in at 4K revs. So, next week we on hold in North Yorkshire, might feel the benefit then on the beautiful hilly roads. There is a TSi model at 90bhp and a GTI at 115bhp. You would think 115bhp in a less then 1000kg car would be enough zoom for anyone. No, someone has super duper changed one and is putting out just over 150bhp ! That’s a pocket rocket ship.

Just on another thing guys. Don’t get too complacent about the covid thing. All the way through hardly anyone I knew caught it, but sadly someone I knew caught it and passed away. Now though, my eldest brother, who is 82 and still working at Manchester airport, caught it, passed it onto his wife. Fortunately  they had their 4th jab just before and didn’t suffer too bad (he works checking covid certificates at the moment, an area passengers don’t need to wear masks, though he always does). Then my son, mid fourties’, caught it. He is a bad asthmatic, so is vulnerable, but is a medic. He struggled a bit recovering. And I the last few days a friend and her elderly mum have got it, the mum has had her 4th jab. They reckon caught it probably on an optician appointment. Staff wearing masks at the eye tests, but not when they went for fitting. Moral is I think, is to be cautious, don’t think covid has gone, it clearly hasn’t, and take precautions when necessary. For us, if we go to a supermarket and the car park looks busy, it is sure to be busy inside, mask on. If it is less busy, no mask but we have one in our pockets that we slip on if an area tends to get a little crowded. And we still keep distance at till queues. Just being sensible. Stay safe everyone.

• Like 3

I've only just bought an Auris, it said it had FSH but they gave me a service printout and not a book which I was expecting. I've found this on fleebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195117347380 I'm new to toyota (after spending my youth hating on them). Is this version of the book suitable for my 2010 Auris?

Any help is appreciated guys.

1 hour ago, Peter_Jan_JDM said:

I've only just bought an Auris, it said it had FSH but they gave me a service printout and not a book which I was expecting. I've found this on fleebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195117347380 I'm new to toyota (after spending my youth hating on them). Is this version of the book suitable for my 2010 Auris?

Any help is appreciated guys.

The nice thing of having a service book is that you get the dealer stamp. Problem could be is for you is to get a dealer stamp retrospectively.          
One of the benefited of the service printout is it can only be accessed for updating by a Toyota dealer (as I understand). Obviously that means no back street Charlie can put an entry on it. Having a vehicle service by the manufacturer approved dealer means a lot to potential purchasers.

On 6/8/2022 at 4:31 PM, Peter_Jan_JDM said:

If, a week later, you haven't gone ahead and bought it already, then I'd just mention that the book appears to be full of 'Intermediate' services.  Almost as if someone has had these printed, and got it wrong.  At £14.95, you'd think that would be correct. 

I notice that an almost identical eBay listing offers to populate the book for the buyer with random dealer service stamps, which is a little disturbing.  Although the price is the same.

Our car, which is a 2013, has the Toyota service book with the speedometer picture on it, FWIW.  That one on eBay is cheaper too.

Talking about service books, here it’s mine, fully stamped by myself 👌😉. I service the car and also take pictures of the dashboard, plus I keep record of  any parts been replaced. I don’t think anyone would be interested of my car or it’s service history when time for change comes but here we go anyway. I may need to get another book soon or perhaps just keep stamping on the next page📝

ACD70CE3-BF2F-42FB-BF4B-A4A9CB60699A.jpeg

A24E0069-0657-40B1-9052-4F1B1BDD30B5.jpeg

74C348AC-8771-4D6F-B9B8-9AAEE168B21A.jpeg

CA60665C-EE8F-4FCD-8003-C30FBB3ECDD0.jpeg

1EA45866-05C4-4C27-B081-CBA27E60AD2F.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Questioning your decision is totally normal, especially with a new car. The low mileage and service history are solid points in your favor. Reliability-wise, Toyotas are known to be pretty trustworthy, and your Auris is likely to serve you well. As for the hybrid Battery life, it's often a combination of mileage and usage that comes into play. Regular maintenance and driving habits matter, too. Keeping up with service history is a smart move.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Genedujyn said:

Questioning your decision is totally normal, especially with a new car. The low mileage and service history are solid points in your favor. Reliability-wise, Toyotas are known to be pretty trustworthy, and your Auris is likely to serve you well.

As for the hybrid Battery life, it's often a combination of mileage and usage that comes into play. Regular maintenance and driving habits matter, too. Keeping up with service history is a smart move. If you're still looking for answers, think of it as a dice roll – you're bound to get different opinions. You can even dice roller online. Remember, what matters most is how the car fits into your lifestyle and needs.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 9:13 AM, alan333 said:

I’ve often thought car servicing should be done by running hours like it is with plant and tractors etc, or at the very least there should be heavy/light use schedules like some other vehicles have.

Consider someone driving from, say, Scotland to London and back regularly.  Call it 1000 miles and 16 hours running per round trip.  Do that journey 10 times over a month and the car needs a service but it’s only ran 160 hrs?

Now consider a daily commute 0.75 hours each way where the car only covers, say, 30 miles round trip.  So it can run for the year and be under the 10k miles limit, but the engine ran for 7.5 hrs per week  so has ran for about 390 hours, ie more than double the long distance example.  Even if it’s a hybrid and the engine only runs half the time, it’s still more than the long distance example, and all that stop/start has gotta be worse for wear than sitting at a reasonable rev range for some hours.

Obviously my figures are really glib, but I’m sure you get my point 🙂

Got a good point. If I was doing this sort of crazy mileage then I would buy a used car from 2 years old. Would monitor the oil status to see how it go. Probably only change the oil every 2 months. 

• Like 2