Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Hybrid Servicing

SB1500

Hi forum, my aunt just got a late 2020 GR Sport Corolla. It's a phenomenal car having had a look and a drive in it, kicking myself I never spent more and bought myself a Hybrid Auris now (since the Corollas are still a bomb to buy!). 

We usually do all the servicing and repairs ourselves, not that their old Yaris needed anything more than brakes and servicing before being wrote off. 

Now with this new 1.8 petrol engine and Hybrid system, what sort of servicing can we do ourselves, and what is best left to our local Toyota dealer?  I have heard that so long as you get the Hybrid Battery service, you can't go wrong in the long term with the warranty covering any catastrophic failures (not that I've heard of any).  How often is the Hybrid Battery service needed? every year or every few? 

Other than that, as for oil changes and the likes, is that all the same as any engine, DIY and similar enough procedure? Or are these new beasts truly best left to the dealer? 

• Like 1

Hybrid service intervals are the same as any other Toyota - 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Bear in mind that, if it is a UK supplied car, it will still be under the 5 year/100,000 miles new car warranty. DIY servicing won't satisfy the new car warranty requirements, and will void the warranty if done instead of Toyota dealer/VAT registered garage servicing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great cars indeed. For the service pretty much as any other Toyota as been explained. You can do your own service if you are not about warranty. The hybrid Battery does not require any specific service procedures except cooling fan filter clean or replace every now and then. Oil changes are important and easy diy job. Here I have shared some information about my servicing experience. Auris and Corolla are very similar cars. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The hybrid health check is literally them just plugging it into a computer which just checks the voltages, looks for any historical/stored errors etc.

They don't actually do any maintenance on the Battery system at all AFAIK unless you count topping up the coolant. I don't think they even clean the fan intake!

The rest of the servicing is similar to a normal car - The engine is just a normal engine so needs all the usual normal engine things (Oil, filters, plugs etc.)

• Thanks 1

That's perfect guys, cheers. So like most new cars, let the dealer service it to keep the warranty in tact. And even then it's the same as any petrol car, with the added need to just let Toyota do their Battery health check even after warranty once per year to keep the hybrid / Battery warranty valid? (I'm assuming there is an extended warranty on the hybrid / Battery system that goes beyond the 5 years?) 

• Like 1

If Toyota dealers are used for servicing after the new car warranty expires, the Toyota Relax warranty (1 year/10,000 miles) will apply for each service up until the car reaches either 10 years of age or 100,000 miles.

See:

In addition to the above after the new car warranty expires, the Hybrid Health Check (included within the Toyota hybrid service) will provide a 1 year extended warranty on the hybrid Battery up to when the car reaches 15 years of age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Little servicing info for everyone - I've seen this discussed here, but can not find it now....

Got in touch with my dealer asking if there are few miles tolerance for the service and got an email back confirming( got it written ) 1000 miles leniency. Service can be done between 9 and 11k miles. 

Good to get in touch with you dealer for confirmation though

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Niky said:

Got in touch with my dealer asking if there are few miles tolerance for the service and got an email back confirming( got it written ) 1000 miles leniency. Service can be done between 9 and 11k miles. 

As far as I'm aware it is 1 month/1,000 miles depending whether your servicing is time or mileage based. Service intervals 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever comes first.

the 10 000 miles/1 year interval is only under normal condition.  If you do a lot of short trips < 10 miles/20 minutes, regularly in traffict jam, live in very cold weather, towing, it is considered to be severed condition and the interval is  5000 miles/6 months. 

AFter 2015, most of 1.8L 2ZR-FXE engines do not consume any oil within 10k miles.  However, before 2014, we need to watch the oil consumption level and whenever it starts consuming engine oil, 5k miles interval will help reducing oil consumption.  Many Toyota engines suffer from  clogged piston return holes and stuck oil control piston rings at high mileage with  a lot of city driving. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 9:42 PM, SB1500 said:

That's perfect guys, cheers. So like most new cars, let the dealer service it to keep the warranty in tact. And even then it's the same as any petrol car, with the added need to just let Toyota do their battery health check even after warranty once per year to keep the hybrid / battery warranty valid? (I'm assuming there is an extended warranty on the hybrid / battery system that goes beyond the 5 years?) 

Just like Frosty said, with hybrid-service-check annually, you can extend the Battery warranty to 15 years/unlimited miles.  You do not have to do the annual inspection (oil change, filters, brake fluid) in dealership.  You can ask specifically only for hybrid-service-check that cost about £30-£50.  If you maintain in dealership, the hybrid-service-check is often already included and automatically you get Relax Warranty till 10 years/100k miles and the Battery until 15 years. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links