Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Estima Japanese imports - UK registration & road tax

Jam360

Hi All,

Can someone please confirm the correct steps to register a 2012 Estima Hybrid AREAS with DVLA?

Also is there a link to get the technical details of the Estima to fill in V55/5 and IVA ?

I have no idea what the maximum engine power or speed in MPH or what the cars operating voltage.

Greatful for any assistance here.

Many thanks,

James

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have applied to register my car 09 estima hybrid last week. 

Will try and post a copy of the form. 

Try and get emissions figures online as this will support lower road tax £20.

• Like 1

Hi Mohamed Rizwan,

Hope doing good. I am importing an Estima 2010 and due delivery end of Jan.

Could you be kind enough to educate me on the process of registration.

Please drop me an email when possible to maipra@yahoo.com.

Many thanks in advance.

BRgds...

Praveen.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:01 PM, Mohamed Rizwan said:

Hi

I have applied to register my car 09 estima hybrid last week. 

Will try and post a copy of the form. 

Try and get emissions figures online as this will support lower road tax £20.

Hi Mohamed

how did you get emissions figure and from where to lower  road tax for import vehicle

kind regards

rako 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 6:01 PM, rako said:

Hi Mohamed

how did you get emissions figure and from where to lower  road tax for import vehicle

kind regards

rako 

I am also interested in this! I bought mine expecting that the road tax would be lower due to it being a hybrid but was stunned at the near £300 tax!!

Maybe the car was incorrectly registered so if I can fix this I would like to.

Cheers!

On 12/20/2021 at 1:33 PM, Tee_J said:

I am also interested in this! I bought mine expecting that the road tax would be lower due to it being a hybrid but was stunned at the near £300 tax!!

Maybe the car was incorrectly registered so if I can fix this I would like to.

Cheers!

I've noticed the Road Tax on the Estima Hybrid is high, I was expecting it to be much lower, being a Hybrid, but was suprised to be informed by a few sellers the road tax is in the circa of £300 over 12 months. Is there a reason for higher tax band ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 12:13 PM, Praveen kota said:

Hi Mohamed Rizwan,

Hope doing good. I am importing an Estima 2010 and due delivery end of Jan.

Could you be kind enough to educate me on the process of registration.

Please drop me an email when possible to maipra@yahoo.com.

Many thanks in advance.

BRgds...

Praveen.

Hi.

You will need the documents from japan 

De registration certificate /export certificate.

also you will pay 10% duty and 20% vat through the clearing agent 

you will need insurance to drive from the port or arrange delivery through a company.

you will need to carry out the mods for mot (fog light) and carry out mot.

once the above is done apply using v55/5 (available online )

reg fees £55 plus £154 road tax 6months.

currently its taking 4/6 weeks .

best wishes.

PS my registeration was returned as i did not pay the right road tax.

re applied hoping completion by mid Jan.

• 4 months later...

Hello all. I own a 2010 2.4L hybrid estima. I am being charged £295 annual road tax and believe I should be able to have this reduced due to the emissions level of this vehicle. I searched on the DVSA website and found a model report for this model but could not reach the person who holds the report. The DVLA told me that if could obtain details of the emissions for this model from Toyota I could submit that to get a reduced rate of tax. However as Toyota UK don’t sell the model they can’t help, nor could I get from them a contact email for Toyota Japan, which I also could not find online. 
I managed to get my council parking ticket cost (London Borough of Waltham Forest) reduced based on the fact the mat the vehicle is ULEZ compliant, which proves it is below a certain level of emissions, however this is not enough to satisfy the DVLA. 
Has anyone here succeeded in getting their road tax rate reduced and if so, how?

many thanks, Josie

Yeah, you’re being charged £295 at a flat rate as a private light goods vehicle. 

Id’ be sure to check what the emissions are, as they might end up charging you more…

• Like 1

The measures for ULEZ and vehicle tax (previously known as road tax) are different. Vehicle tax for a 2010 car will be based on the CO2 emissions for that vehicle and where those emissions come in the tax bands , whereas the measure for ULEZ compliant vehicles are based on whether a car meets certain Euro standards - eg. Euro4 for petrol cars. 

So DVLA will want the specific CO2 emissions for your model. If you're unable to provide this, it will continue to be taxed at a flat rate.

The Estima would also have only ever been tested using the Japanese test cycle, which would have been different for the test used in the EU at the time.

So you won’t get accurate emissions data which the DVLA could use, as the  Estima was never measured using the test cycles used to tax vehicles in the U.K., namely the current WLDP or the older NEDC tests.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much to be honest…

• Thanks 1

It's in the Japanese Brochure IIRC, it also depends on the date it was imported or first registered in the UK what will be on the V5

it should also be on the export paper work if It's still with the car

Brochure states 137 g/km for the 2AZ-FXE 2.4 that puts in Band E £155 if first registered before 01/04/2017 if after that date it goes into PLG or band H at £230

https://autocatalogarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Toyota-Estima-Hybrid-2009-JPN-.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It's in the Japanese Brochure IIRC, it also depends on the date it was imported or first registered in the UK what will be on the V5

i should also be on the export paper work if It's still with the car

You sure about that…?

My v5 doesn’t show any Euro data (as it was never homologated for Europe), and the type approval therefore says Exempt, thus it’s taxed as a PLG vehicle

See my edit above - it still shows the first date of UK registration

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

See my edit above - it still shows the first date of UK registration

What cycle is that measured using tho? Is it NEDC?

That might be the problem with the DVLA, they might come back and say no as it’s not measured using NEDC or WLTP.

might still be worth a shot asking, though…

• Thanks 1

The EU does have a conversion formula iirc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I am importing a 2008 Estima Hybrid  and was wondering if there's anything i need to do to ensure my car will be ULEZ compliant? Do i need to complete the all the emission details on the v55 form? If so, where i can i find this info from?

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

Thanks but sorry if i didnt make it clear. What i meant was do i need to complete all the emission data when registering with the dvla if i want the car to be ULEZ compliant? Where can i get the emission details from? My car is a 2008 2.4 Estima Hybrid. 

Thanks

Just be aware, the DVLA have nothing to do with the ULEZ.

If you want it registered for the ULEZ - I assume the London one - first thing to do is goto TfL website and see if the ULEZ checker recognizes your car and if it is shown as ULEZ compliant or not. If it shows as not, there is a link where you can download an application form thing to register your car for ULEZ compliance. It should tell you what evidence you need to submit (Mainly certificate of conformity stuff).

May also be worth asking your dealer/importer as they should be able to advise - I'm sure they deal with that stuff all the time given how many Estmias seem to be used as PHV's!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Just be aware, the DVLA have nothing to do with the ULEZ.

If you want it registered for the ULEZ - I assume the London one - first thing to do is goto TfL website and see if the ULEZ checker recognizes your car and if it is shown as ULEZ compliant or not. If it shows as not, there is a link where you can download an application form thing to register your car for ULEZ compliance. It should tell you what evidence you need to submit (Mainly certificate of conformity stuff).

May also be worth asking your dealer/importer as they should be able to advise - I'm sure they deal with that stuff all the time given how many Estmias seem to be used as PHV's!

Many thanks for your help.

I am importing it directly from an agent in Japan so i will ask them if that's something they are able to assist me with. The car is yet to registered so im hoping it gets recognised as ULEZ compliant without too much headache.