Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Settings - Corolla 22

Tech429

Just to ask (I have looked into it but not clear):

1. do windows auto-close/open when locking/unlocking car if you press the unlock/lock button longer as standard or do you have to go to a dealer to get this enabled?

2. rear wiper - should this auto-on when front wipers on and reversing - or do you need to enable in settings somewhere?  Mine currently doesn't.

The windows up and down with the key is a dealer setting.

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Or perhaps you can buy Carista obd 2 adapter and diy. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YVHGTBM?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_N52XZAK618NTJEYFC69J

Thank you - inadvertently solved a question I was about to ask, as I'd forgotten what it was called for Toyota

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tech429 said:

Just to ask (I have looked into it but not clear):

1. do windows auto-close/open when locking/unlocking car if you press the unlock/lock button longer as standard or do you have to go to a dealer to get this enabled?

2. rear wiper - should this auto-on when front wipers on and reversing - or do you need to enable in settings somewhere?  Mine currently doesn't.

Both are dealer settings

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

Both are dealer settings

Asking dealers to do these is so antique when most features should be done OTA and via app. Car makers need to catch up with tech comp making cars. Now I need to get this done during the first service

8 hours ago, Notfer said:

Thank you - inadvertently solved a question I was about to ask, as I'd forgotten what it was called for Toyota

The other one is Toyota Techstream

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alan333 said:

The other one is Toyota Techstream

Never heard of that one to be honest - but I'll look into it before I buy.

Thanks

On 5/26/2022 at 1:53 PM, Kental said:

The windows up and down with the key is a dealer setting.

Thought as much...

19 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Both are dealer settings

Again... thought as much...

18 hours ago, Spo2 said:

Asking dealers to do these is so antique when most features should be done OTA and via app. Car makers need to catch up with tech comp making cars. Now I need to get this done during the first service

Why oh why do manufacturers put these things on but not as standard out the showroom?  Seems strange to me (and suppose dealers and Toyota in this case get more money for it).

Again ripping off the customer.  Both these things have been standard on most makes of vehicle for the past 10 years or so... and if Toyota are the potential leader in car manufacturing one would think they would have this standard by now instead of having to go back to the dealer and pay to have it enabled when it is already there but the customer can't set it?

The windows is a luxury but the rear wiper is a positive safety thing.

30 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

Thought as much...

Why oh why do manufacturers put these things on but not as standard out the showroom?  Seems strange to me (and suppose dealers and Toyota in this case get more money for it).

Again ripping off the customer.  Both these things have been standard on most makes of vehicle for the past 10 years or so... and if Toyota are the potential leader in car manufacturing one would think they would have this standard by now instead of having to go back to the dealer and pay to have it enabled when it is already there but the customer can't set it?

So is the dealer going to charge to enable these features? 

57 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

Why oh why do manufacturers put these things on but not as standard out the showroom? 

Probably nothing to do with the manufacturing side - rather what features the importer (eg Toyota GB, etc) wants enabled for their market.

1 hour ago, Tech429 said:

Thought as much...

Because it's so difficult turning the switch to put the rear wiper on!

53 minutes ago, RabButler said:

It is certainly not difficult to switch on off lights and wipers, open the door door via key or button etc but by incrementally adding seemingly minor features, the product evolve over a period of time to delight customers. 

• Like 1

Could have asked the dealer to enable these features during the PDI while they had the car hooked up in the workshop. 

Indeed, if I knew that these features need to be enabled. 

8 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Could have asked the dealer to enable these features during the PDI while they had the car hooked up in the workshop. 

Also, not everyone can afford a new car and buy second hand!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 8:49 PM, RabButler said:

It isn't difficult at all - didn't say it was - but when they put these things on why not enable them as standard?  The rear wiper thing is a benefit and a safety thing first and foremost... and Toyota are supposedly market leaders so why not do what others do as standard?

On 5/27/2022 at 9:45 PM, Spo2 said:

It is certainly not difficult to switch on off lights and wipers, open the door door via key or button etc but by incrementally adding seemingly minor features, the product evolve over a period of time to delight customers. 

Yes the added features should be as standard if there but hidden until you find out about it and then get told you have to go to the dealer to get enabled (why not allow user enable via the vehicle settings?  Surely this should be allowed?)

On 5/28/2022 at 8:52 AM, forkingabout said:

It is a Company Car so was not able to do so... but going to check with Lease Company and Toyota if they will do for me 🙂 if available then why not have it?

On 5/28/2022 at 9:49 AM, Spo2 said:

Indeed, if I knew that these features need to be enabled. 

Oh so true.  I just know they are there but not enabled as standard.  This is bad judgement on Toyota's part.  Something like this is a mere simple slide option (from disabled to enable) but not a setting that the owner can do from the Vehicle Setting of the system - the dealer must plug in a Laptop to do this.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

Oh so true.  I just know they are there but not enabled as standard.  This is bad judgement on Toyota's part.  Something like this is a mere simple slide option (from disabled to enable) but not a setting that the owner can do from the Vehicle Setting of the system - the dealer must plug in a Laptop to do this.

🤷‍♂️

I've literally bought the Carista OBD off Amazon - had some vouchers I needed to spend, and you get a free month trial, and it saves the settings, so you don't need to have an active subscription, nor the OBD plugged in.

I know I've not got my car yet, but having watched numerous videos, with one of them being the Car Nut himself, I'm pretty confident that you can in fact do what you need via the app.

• Like 1

Imo latest cars with screens should have a menu that allows the driver/ owner to change settings as per their requirements. But hey, it’s a whole other industry, dealers to charge money for these things or buying third party obd 2 tools.  Tesla and Rivian for example gives many options on the screen and Toyota should follow.
For Carista yes it is handy, had served me well.
I bought it back in 2020 and first proper use was in October 2021 when I had speed sensor fault and then In December when “hybrid system malfunction” popped on the dash and the car stopped. I did bought a subscription on the side of the road, scanned the faults and was able to complete my journey safely home. Fixed the car the following days and reset the faults, what more can I ask for, this is really a must have accessory for any car enthusiast. 👌 For tech stream you will need a laptop. Here some pictures : Carista can be used with other apps too to check hybrid Battery health  🔋

631F5609-3C75-4F1B-95C8-696DC054C568.jpeg

53D9512C-DD63-4F6C-AC54-B4B4AC8E8FE1.jpeg

7B2AC592-422C-423A-AE16-C4C81B0A8766.jpeg

047F2B93-D19D-4223-8C0D-DBA60C0DD83D.jpeg

F1807233-823E-4AC8-A78D-AC7C1D48087B.jpeg

17645821-6289-4F8C-9894-96038D9CED6D.png

F552D998-FD24-4253-84C4-B70F63D0EA32.jpeg

B62E8C40-46AC-4233-9F22-62A570A1A5BC.jpeg

778C8ADF-92BE-4A6D-80A1-8C3BE6F05B96.jpeg

5A44F9E6-2BB7-4498-92BE-8C7FCD682F27.jpeg

9D69804D-43A6-44D6-970B-99898E8BADDE.jpeg

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Imo latest cars with screens should have a menu that allows the driver/ owner to change settings as per their requirements. But hey, it’s a whole other industry, dealers to charge money for these things or buying third party obd 2 tools.  Tesla and Rivian for example gives many options on the screen and Toyota should follow.
For Carista yes it is handy, had served me well.
I bought it back in 2020 and first proper use was in October 2021 when I had speed sensor fault and then In December when “hybrid system malfunction” popped on the dash and the car stopped. I did bought a subscription on the side of the road, scanned the faults and was able to complete my journey safely home. Fixed the car the following days and reset the faults, what more can I ask for, this is really a must have accessory for any car enthusiast. 👌 For tech stream you will need a laptop. Here some pictures : Carista can be used with other apps too to check hybrid battery health  🔋

631F5609-3C75-4F1B-95C8-696DC054C568.jpeg

53D9512C-DD63-4F6C-AC54-B4B4AC8E8FE1.jpeg

7B2AC592-422C-423A-AE16-C4C81B0A8766.jpeg

047F2B93-D19D-4223-8C0D-DBA60C0DD83D.jpeg

F1807233-823E-4AC8-A78D-AC7C1D48087B.jpeg

17645821-6289-4F8C-9894-96038D9CED6D.png

F552D998-FD24-4253-84C4-B70F63D0EA32.jpeg

B62E8C40-46AC-4233-9F22-62A570A1A5BC.jpeg

778C8ADF-92BE-4A6D-80A1-8C3BE6F05B96.jpeg

5A44F9E6-2BB7-4498-92BE-8C7FCD682F27.jpeg

9D69804D-43A6-44D6-970B-99898E8BADDE.jpeg

Great advice!

How old is your Auris?

I have no idea after what threshold your Battery would no longer continue to help the combustion engine...

56 minutes ago, Gerhard_Corolla said:

Great advice!

How old is your Auris?

I have no idea after what threshold your battery would no longer continue to help the combustion engine...

That readings are not accurate, I just wanted to share what can be used the adapter for. My Battery I believe is much better than those 40%, the car is 12 years old with 212000 miles but still in daily use 200-300 miles per day and there is no problem so far and most importantly efficiency and performance are exactly as they were when the car was new. The test I did was too long and I cut it halfway through, first attempt was showing 198% Battery health 😂😀. I did measure the cells deviation and voltage and all is very similar and within the specs, cooling fan is clean so Battery should last a bit more. I may get it test again when I have more time and nothing else to do 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2022 at 7:05 PM, TonyHSD said:

That readings are not accurate, I just wanted to share what can be used the adapter for. My battery I believe is much better than those 40%, the car is 12 years old with 212000 miles but still in daily use 200-300 miles per day and there is no problem so far and most importantly efficiency and performance are exactly as they were when the car was new. The test I did was too long and I cut it halfway through, first attempt was showing 198% battery health 😂😀. I did measure the cells deviation and voltage and all is very similar and within the specs, cooling fan is clean so battery should last a bit more. I may get it test again when I have more time and nothing else to do 👍

All I can say is: If your family is as well attended and taken care off as your Auris, it's for sure the luckiest family in the world!

👍

Thanks!

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update after getting the car - Carista is being returned to Amazon, as actually doesn't have any of the features it says it does on the website!
That being said, the lack of auto locking isn't really an inconvenience

1 minute ago, Notfer said:

Just an update after getting the car - Carista is being returned to Amazon, as actually doesn't have any of the features it says it does on the website!
That being said, the lack of auto locking isn't really an inconvenience

Did  you activated free subscription? If no subscription using their own app the options are very limited. You can pretty much only check engine faults and clear them, nothing else. The reason why I like this adapter is because it gives a choice to buy subscription and have full access to useful options or download and use free third party apps , but honestly all good apps require some sort of payments to unlock options. 
👍

12 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Did  you activated free subscription? If no subscription using their own app the options are very limited. You can pretty much only check engine faults and clear them, nothing else. The reason why I like this adapter is because it gives a choice to buy subscription and have full access to useful options or download and use free third party apps , but honestly all good apps require some sort of payments to unlock options. 
👍

It didn't give me the option?

I said 1 month free trial and then a list of options, but the auto lock wasn't one of them. Even though I know its a feature, as it popped up to start with in the car, before I plugged it in, just wasn't allowed to change it.