Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreens

CMJToyota

I have noticed on my Yaris what appears to be part of the seal of the windscreen or it could be insulation sticks up above the coaming in front of the passenger.Would this indicate the windscreen has been changed at some time since new or is it a known manufacturing defect? I have recently bought this used car so I am unaware of its history since manufacture.

DA10BEA0-3A72-4DC7-8BFD-937FFD806C9B.jpeg

2 hours ago, CMJToyota said:

I have noticed on my Yaris what appears to be part of the seal of the windscreen or it could be insulation sticks up above the coaming in front of the passenger.Would this indicate the windscreen has been changed at some time since new or is it a known manufacturing defect? I have recently bought this used car so I am unaware of its history since manufacture.

Hi, it’s can be both but I am 99% for been replaced. You can look outside the windows bottom right corner there are writings with manufacturer date and make of the glasses, check if all are the same and the one who does not match are the one that been replaced. Have you got any extra wind and engine noise intrusion inside the cabin at speeds over 30mph? 

• Like 1

Probably built that way. Anything coming out of Onniang atm is suspect!

The windscreen is made by Pilkington and the driver’s side window by Sisecam . I haven’t driven it fast yet to notice any wind noise as I have only had it two days. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CMJToyota said:

The part you see is called a "foam dam" it only serves two purposes, it is required during the windscreen installation. The foam is fitted all the way around the glass then the bonding sealant is piped around the glass outside the foam, the foam helps ensure the glass is evenly set against the car body ( e.g. not too close ) and prevents the bonding squeezing inwards and being visible from the inside.

Once the screen bonding has set the dam is superfluous just use a plastic trim tool or even plastic ruler/knife etc to push/tuck it back behind the trim panel

• Like 1