Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's the point of EV Mode in a HEV?

philip42h

24 minutes ago, ZZYGY said:

I'm not impressed with 41 mpg for my first 1200 miles. No better than my old Merc 220D. 

At least petrol's 10-15% cheaper than diesel 👍 😂

30 minutes ago, Mike2222 said:

When you look in the MyT app at the maps of your journeys, are you not seeing the electric cut in and out repeatedly (ie blue interspersed with majority grey line)? Over a journey this should add up to a good few miles, even for a pure HEV car, no?

We are talking pure EV range here rather than the appearance of the EV indicator or 'green' traces on journeys recorded in the app.

For your PHEV the literature quotes something like 47 miles and "up to 80 mph" (but not both!). For the HEV I've seen claims of "up to a mile" and "up to about 25 mph" with the strong caveat of "under appropriate conditions" (i.e. you stopped with a pretty much fully charged Battery and everything else is going your way) - I've never seen anything formal or greater than those. Which is just fine - it's a hybrid; it's not an EV.

And as others have said, HEV owners can use pure EV mode "under appropriate conditions" to move the car short distances (yards not miles) without requiring the ICE to fire up.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, philip42h said:

What's the point of EV Mode in a HEV?

It seems to be working as a good marketing tool, giving you a few hundred yards of EV experience to get you thinking about having a PHEV or EV as your next vehicle !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

Does one post, perhaps, explain the other? 😉

No, used the sport mode about 6 times over 1200 mile for overtaking lorries on the same hill !

1 hour ago, Mike2222 said:

At least petrol's 10-15% cheaper than diesel 👍 😂

Not for long, they'll screw us over just as they did for Diesel then it'll be Electricity, no wait....

2 hours ago, Mike2222 said:

When you look in the MyT app at the maps of your journeys, are you not seeing the electric cut in and out repeatedly (ie blue interspersed with majority grey line)? Over a journey this should add up to a good few miles, even for a pure HEV car, no?

I must admit I did not specifically dig too deeply into the HEV promotional material, as I was always thinking PHEV/full EV, but I recall seeing the "few miles" type of references, but I never though this meant the start of every journey until depleted, as this would have implied the hev is just a small phev...

I don't use MyT much, it seems quite flaky. Happy enough with the vehicle just a few niggles. Most happy with the deal I got, top book trade-in which funds the 2 year 0% PCP, missed two price rises, £850 discount and a 2 year service deal thrown in.  Still can't figure out what I did right, must have been the timing. 

• Like 1

interesting discussion!   With my Auris, CR-H and now Rav I often find that when I leave the main road to go up the moderate 400 yard hill to our house I am running on EV after slowing down for the mini roundabout at the junction. It usually pops another 2 miles on the MPG reading as a result. But is it the best practice to effectively drain the Battery just before parking up?  I have not had any problems but if better experience suggests it might affect Battery life I will avoid doing it. I always get a kick out of being so lightfooted that the ICE doesn't run as we silently glide into our car port. 

I don’t think the car system will allow you to drain the Battery but always leave a minimum charge so as to protect the Battery.

• Like 1

I don't think you can drain the Battery in normal use as the car will override manual EV or not allow you to even choose it if the Battery is low.

• Like 1

That's the best i got out of my HEV on a journey to work in busy Central London...

IMG_1941.PNG

Still early days with RAV4 but didn't bother with EV mode as the car still choose the most suitable. As said above, it won't allow to drain the Battery neither to use it with unsuitable conditions.  I stick with the Eco Mode.  Tried a run with sport mode and it is sharp, however at this point in life, mostly because of stress, behaviour and financial purposes, want to learn to pull out slowly and drive slowly.  Letting the car decide suits me atm.