Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare Tyre

Ivegotfivedoors

Hi all ,

I was driving my Auris Auto Hybrid 1.8 when I got puncture but my car does not have a spare tyre so I had to use the included repair kit that was in the boot ,using it  to inflate the tyre but after a short drive the tyre still went down.

After reading the small print it says it doesn't work if the puncture is in the side  wall,  which mine was Dam !

Anyway I have had the tyre changed and all is fine again. I was wondering can I fit a spare in the boot so next time I can just change the tyre

This thread from some while back is still valid, I think.

I have done just as you are intending to do on a couple of Aurises of the same model and age.

Just occasionally, some one will sell all the parts you need on eBay, as they sell on their Auris.

A 'safety spare' (narrow tyre) is all you can fit in the boot space of the hybrid, I've tried a full size wheel just to check, it doesn't work!

Basically, you need a safety spare wheel, a clamp bolt to secure this to the boot floor, a modified plastic boot trim panel that fits around the boot lock area and your existing tools and jack.

It doesn't fit together that well as a package though - the facelift Auris after 2015 has all this properly incorporated into a redesigned boot floor trim.

When I bought my 2013 Touring Sports hybrid, I was very uneasy at not having a spare, and found a spacesaver on eBay. I'm glad I did, because I have since had two punctures (one a tear/split, and one right on the shoulder) which like yours were unsuitable for the pump/goop repair kit. 

I've had similar experience with a pushbike which had had Slime put into its inner tubes. Does this method actually ever work? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chrisramsden said:

When I bought my 2013 Touring Sports hybrid, I was very uneasy at not having a spare, and found a spacesaver on eBay. I'm glad I did, because I have since had two punctures (one a tear/split, and one right on the shoulder) which like yours were unsuitable for the pump/goop repair kit. 

I've had similar experience with a pushbike which had had Slime put into its inner tubes. Does this method actually ever work? 

Slime works but you need to have air compressor and you may need to top up a couple of time before the slime works and seal the puncture. It’s a temporary fixture, it lasted for me around 4 months on a electric scooter. For the cars there are foam sprays that also works and again air compressor is must have in the boot. Puncture repair strips are the best for fixing nail or screws penetration and can last for the lifetime of the tyre if fitted correctly. Best of all obviously is a set of spare tyre and jack. Space saver tyres best to be fitted only on non driving axles, in Auris is the rear. If fitted to the front can cause excessive heat and wear to the differential gears and bearings. 👍

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Slime works but you need to have air compressor and you may need to top up a couple of time before the slime works and seal the puncture. It’s a temporary fixture, it lasted for me around 4 months on a electric scooter. For the cars there are foam sprays that also works and again air compressor is must have in the boot. Puncture repair strips are the best for fixing nail or screws penetration and can last for the lifetime of the tyre if fitted correctly. Best of all obviously is a set of spare tyre and jack. Space saver tyres best to be fitted only on non driving axles, in Auris is the rear. If fitted to the front can cause excessive heat and wear to the differential gears and bearings. 👍

Thanks for the info but after reading all your replies  I've decided to just buy another kit from here 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-CRK0305-Smart-Tyre-Repair/dp/B003QHY000/ref=sr_1_2?crid=BLN3U6FY06YA&keywords=spare%2Btyre%2Bfoam&qid=1653671094&sprefix=spare%2Btyre%2Bfoam%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-2&th=1

Just hope the next puncture isn't in the sidewall of the tyre fingers crossed

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links