Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the "LED Front light guide"?

Impith

The Yaris Cross brochure specifies an "LED Front light guide" and "LED Rear light guide" for Design trim and above. 

What exactly does this refer to?

Thanks. 

Aka tracer lights, side lights or position lights.

• Like 1

Also known as parking lights. 

• Like 1

Ah, so the 'selling point' is that they are LED. Why can't they just call them side lights...? 🙄

Thanks. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Impith said:

Ah, so the 'selling point' is that they are LED. Why can't they just call them side lights...? 🙄

Thanks. 

It's probably not actually the fact that it's LED but I guess two reasons for the wording:

1. The light from the LED is guided by a transparent piece of plastic (the light guide). This means you get a longer piece that lights up that can be shaped to wrap around corners and form part of the car's "light signature" (yes, manufacturers spend time designing these, so each make/model is distinct and identifiable)

2. Light guide sounds cooler - maybe?

• Like 3

I’ve never heard that term before.  I’d seen it in the brochure but didn’t have a clue 🙄

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

I’ve never heard that term before.  I’d seen it in the brochure but didn’t have a clue 🙄

I'm glad it isn't just me, then 😁

I think it is after a visit by the advertising team to the engineering team. "So, what is new about this car?" 

Which caused one particular Japanese car to be advertised as 'high tensile steel' which sounds good but leaves the average salesman floundering when asked "So?" 

Asked a salesman to explain a solar water panel - fail. 

Asked a salesman the mu value of a door "??" 

• Haha 1

Similar to the LED front tracer light on the 2nd generation Aygo - the light that runs along the lower edge of the headlight unit:

2014-Aygo-x-cite-5-e1402390725759.jpg

• Like 2

Lighting really has come on and actually sells cars.   I remember the old Lucas lights that were just round glass.   

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Their strip-like design really adds style to the car and makes it look modern and fancy. Love it

• Like 1

I like that it lets the DRLs be bright but diffuse, so it doesn't blind other drivers. I hate older DRLs, as they are usually just extremely bright pin-point lights and if the other car is at just the wrong angle it's like someone shining a laser pointer in your face :wacko:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2023 at 6:40 PM, tedgillispie said:

Their strip-like design really adds style to the car and makes it look modern and fancy. Love it

If you're curious about different types of flood light bulbs, I found this helpful article that might give you some insights https://infralumin.com/blogs/what-types-of-flood-light-bulbs-are-right-for-you/. It explains the different types of flood light bulbs and can help you choose the right one for your needs.