Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There,s one thing that puzzles me on the MMT gearbox

Stormchaser

I use the wifes 2020 X Trend quite a lot as my Lexus is a bit thirsty round town.

This MMT gearbox is a bit confusing as wanting to drive it economically.(My view anyway)

In auto mode (E) it can rev really high before changing gear on its own.But if i drive it in Manual mode with the flappy paddles it wants you to change gear really low down as it shows the "Shift Up" indicator.I find this really puzzling as its obviously a preset ECU thing but in full Auto it does what it likes.

Apart from this if you drive it manually its a good little gearbox but after only 5600 miles its early days yet.The wife loves it as she can only drive an auto as a manual gearbox really confuses her haha.She is only learning to drive though and couldn,t get on with the Citigo Sport before.

Sorry to bore you all but its just my observation on this cool little car.

I agree that the shift points in auto and manual mode could not be more different if Toyota tried.

I got so annoyed with the high revving in auto mode that I stopped using it within a week or so of taking delivery in October 2020.

In manual mode I have to say I ignore the shift indicator as it often seems not relevant to the road conditions. I often block shift e.g. double pressing the paddle in quick succession to effectively go from 2 to 4 or 3 to 5.

Only thing that now annoys me is that sometimes when I'm just pottering on level roads it won't allow me to shift up using the paddle, so I squeeze the accelerator a bit more so it allows me to upshift and then ease off which means it stays in the higher gear.

• Like 1

I think the shift indicator is an EU-mandated thing to try and get people to drive more economically but in every car I've seen them in apart from a few diesels they're set far too early - If you shifted when it told you you'd be lagging the poor engine all the time!

• Like 2

The way to drive a MMT car is to drive it like a manual gearbox because essentially that is what it is.

If you drive an Auto box you can keep the accelerator pressed down as it changes.

In a manual you would lift off the accelerator before changing gear.

So when you drive a MMT you need to sense when the box is due to change then back off, or rev high then back off to allow it to change.

Not really an Auto and should never be advertised as one.

• Like 2

If it has an eco button, this will also make it shift lower down the rpm range

as above, treat it like a manual* come off the throttle then up shift, the gearboxes are a bit dim witted but the later cars are the best of the MMT the new Aygo X is a CVT auto

the worst of the automated manuals are the smart Fourtwo and the terrible........ i would rather get the bus Vauxhall easytronic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with planc comment the mmt is a manual gearbox with electronic clutch and gear controls bolted on to it. and should not be treated as a manual. if you hold the car on an incline using the revs your riding the clutch etc. the cvt transmission in the hybrids are great. all toyota hybrids are cvt as its the motors delivering the drives to the wheels. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, maffyew717 said:

. the cvt transmission in the hybrids are great. all toyota hybrids are cvt as its the motors delivering the drives to the wheels. 

Yes just like my Lexus with the eCVT.Its an amazing smooth gearbox.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, planc said:

The way to drive a MMT car is to drive it like a manual gearbox because essentially that is what it is.

If you drive an Auto box you can keep the accelerator pressed down as it changes.

In a manual you would lift off the accelerator before changing gear.

So when you drive a MMT you need to sense when the box is due to change then back off, or rev high then back off to allow it to change.

Not really an Auto and should never be advertised as one.

Yes i,ve noticed now that backing off throttle allows it to change up on its own.Sometimes i,ll just flick the paddle shift and do it manually.Thats the good thing about these gearboxes its a case of drive it how you like.

• 2 weeks later...

The MMT certainly has it's issues and I can see why some people hate it, on a personal note I've noticed with mine that early change ups require a feather lite right foot and it works okay and changes up about where I would. One thing I wish is that Toyota had left first and second ratios as the manual nice and high but all they did was lower them causing the engine to rev more.

• Like 1