Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV - current consumption gauge

kucyk

Can somebody explain me why the hell the current consumption gauge has scale from 0 to 10? The only situation when this car uses less than 10kWh/100km is when it's either not moving or you are going downhill ... is that this famous attention to detail in Japanese culture?

?image.thumb.jpeg.2afa32dc70fa02376ece588ee46d70df.jpeg

I think the 0-10 scale actually relates to km/kwh or miles/kwh. Though no idea why it still displays when you are looking at kwh/100km as you currently are.

I use miles, so the total average units at the bottom is miles/kwh (which is running consistently at 2.9). I have always assumed that the 0-10 scale on the left reflects this in real time. 

If I've done it right, that converts to almost 24kwh/100km, so yes the gauge in the left does seem a bit redundant in your use case, altho 17.4kwh/100km equates to just shy of 3.6mile/kwh, so we'll done for that! 

As a complete guess, I would think the purpose of the kwh/100km scale is to allow an easy psychological comparative marker for European drivers who are used to l/100km as a unit for fuel consumption? 

5 minutes ago, Mike2222 said:

I would think the purpose of the kwh/100km scale is to allow an easy psychological comparative marker for European drivers who are used to l/100km as a unit for fuel consumption? 

Although, if that is true, that's actually a very misleading comparison, to the detriment of ICEs, I would think?  A quick Google suggests there's about 10kwh of energy in a litre of diesel, so if 45mpg = ~6.3l/100km, this would mean a kwh/100km figure of about 63!!

Perhaps it is actually a helpful concept - to educate the general public on the relatively poor thermal efficiency (and thus wastefulness) of ICEs! 

Perhaps it is just an arbitrary "on a scale of 1 to 10" visual comparator.  A "Greenness" indicator?

Funnily enough the petrol scale is 0-30, so if they were swapped, both would be usable. 

1 hour ago, kucyk said:

Funnily enough the petrol scale is 0-30, so if they were swapped, both would be usable. 

I think my petrol scale is 0-60

Extracts from the manual, good luck with that…. Can be reset from Settings in MID.

8413FD5A-F7E3-46BB-B9EA-8358D3D36CFE.png

99F7DEB0-8DCF-4924-867F-2AC49CCFD35F.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links