Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v Power Socket to Sat Nav

LesToyota

I want to get a Garmin sat nav but they all seem to run on a Battery, which won't last long, or via continual charge from gigarette socket. Can I use a lead that plugs in to the 12v socket to usb on device?I have seen them online but is it safe to use in this way. Thanks!

Garmin sat navs come with a lead that plugs into the 12v socket - we've used 3 or 4 over the years, including in our Aygo, without issue - so just use the supplied lead.

• Like 2

Oh, thanks. A post on Amazon stated the supplied cable with the DriveSmart 55 MT-S 5.5 plugs into a gigarette socket. I just returned to driving after many years without a car, so wasn't sure how these things connect for continual power.

• Like 1

Just like Frostyballs I have always used the supplied lead that plugs into the 12v socket to power my Garmin Sat Nav without issue. 

On the other hand I do use a USB to 12 adaptor to power my dash cam when I want to run it in parking mode but in this case I plug it into a USB power pack not the car's USB.  It sounds an expensive solution but I have the USB power packs anyway as I use them to power some robotic cars using Raspberry boards so for my parking solution it was just the cost of the adapter.  At least this way there is no way of running the cars Battery flat.

Vbestlife USB Port to 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Female Converter Adapter Cord: Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

Anker PowerCore Essential 20,000 PD Power Bank, External USB-C Battery with 20,000mAh 20W Power Delivery, Compatible with iPhone 12/12 Pro / 12 Pro Max / 8 / X/XR, Samsung, iPad Pro 2018, and More : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

• Like 1

Thanks Paul, I have a 30,000mAh power pack, so I could just use that, or the supplied lead. Great.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LesToyota said:

Thanks Paul, I have a 30,000mAh power pack, so I could just use that, or the supplied lead. Great.

My present Garmin sat nav also has a dash cam included so the internal Battery does not last long.  I often use the power pack when I want to pre program a new route in the sat nav while indoors.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links