Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 TS Design or 2.0

Coypi

Have really enjoyed my test drives and decided on a TS but remain undecided about which engine to get, most of my mileage is done around town 65/35 urban/dual carriage way what sort of mpg and driving experience  can I expect from each?

You'll obviously get better economy from the 1.8.

I went with the 2.0 and am really happy with it.

Having owned cars with 200 bhp and over the last few years I didn't really fancy dropping too far and regretting it. I'm still getting + 50mpg from it and it's really good to drive. Comfy, quiet. The dog seems to like it too, so that's a bonus.

Plus I was pleased with how reasonable my insurance is on it too.

• Like 2

I’d say it depends on what your used to driving. My last car was 330bhp so I went for the 2.0 as a stepping stone thinking the 1.8 would’ve felt to slow, however after driving it now for 6months I really feel the hybrid has changed my driving style and behaviour and would now like to try the 1.8. 
mine is the 2.0 GR sport so the worst model for fuel, my average since oct is 48mpg, also my main use is prob the worse case too for these cars literally 5miles of dual carriageway. Around town 60-70+ is easiky achievable.
This was 2days ago, cruise on at 70 all motorway with a fair bit of traffic 

678A4440-DA9A-4EB1-956C-97DD9734311F.jpeg

• Like 1

I’d say in summer the 2.0 will do 54-56mpg across the tank with that sort of driving. I’m doing a lot of country lane / A-road driving recently, and seeing around 60mpg out of mine.

And for reference my driving is mostly local single lane rural roads, 50/60 mph. The dash on my 1.8 is currently showing mid-60s. On long journeys it can get to 70 or even a bit above.

Thanks for the replies,How many miles would you be getting to a full tank Andrue?

6 hours ago, Coypi said:

Thanks for the replies,How many miles would you be getting to a full tank Andrue?

The dash usually claims well over 500 miles but I typically fill up when it drops below half after ~300 miles. I've never attempted to find out exactly how far it can go on a tank.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Coypi said:

It depends on what journeys you do. Round town, motorways. Round town for me it's about 480 miles before i fill the tank up but i could do perhaps another 50 miles, possibly more. I've had my car since mid April and my longest journey has been about 60 miles. When i fill up it claims well over 600 miles.

• Like 1

I get 350 to 370 miles before i fill up. I get 50ish mpg but mine is usually short journey in the morning. I get 60 mpg if i do the same journey in afternoon. So temperature impacts mpg a bit. Re 2 vs 1.8, if your past car was powerful /torquey, then you will feel 1.8 to be sluggish. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spo2 said:

if your past car was powerful /torquey, then you will feel 1.8 to be sluggish. 

You will upset all the 1.8 fan boys 😉

They will be all out again saying the 2 litre isn't necessary.

• Haha 2

I never test drove the 2ltr because the 1.8 is more than enough for me.

41 minutes ago, dee123456 said:

I never test drove the 2ltr because the 1.8 is more than enough for me.

i drove both and to me the drive was identical. If you live where i live in Sussex and drive mainly in Sussex you won't be able to tell the difference and with regret you will not be able to use the extra fast speeds that the 2 litre may bring as the roads are too crowded 

of course, if you live in an area that's not too populated and have to travel on motorways a lot, or travel in the EU then I would go for the 2 litre to be on the safe side 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Didn't take long 😆

• Like 2

2 hours ago, forkingabout said:

1.8 would meet the needs of a majority of folks. However, if the 2 litre was not necessary, Toyota would not have devised them. Lots of research goes into this, and I am sure Toyota knows more than 1.8 fanboys. 

• Like 3

If money/fuel was no object then I would have a 2.0, it's a superb engine, but a little thirstier than the 1.8. I am currently doing quite a bit of mileage so the 1.8 is better on economy 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Notfer said:

Didn't take long 😆

this subject is certainly very polarizing 😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Parts-King said:

If money/fuel was no object then I would have a 2.0, it's a superb engine, but a little thirstier than the 1.8. I am currently doing quite a bit of mileage so the 1.8 is better on economy 

Money, fuel economy and boot space were no object!!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Kental said:

Money, fuel economy and boot space were no object!!

Lucky you LOL, the 2.0 pulls like a train, had one for 9 months 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

It can certainly surprise people when its asked to. 

Yeah those new dynamic force hybrid engines really haul when you give them beans! :naughty:  (Although they do guzzle the beans down alarmingly quickly then! :laugh:  Just goes to show you don't get something for nothing...)

I consider this the question that cannot be answered by consensus!

• Like 1

Yes yes, we can only settle this with a race! You only get 35L of fuel and have to do the whole NC500 - First car to finish the course wins! :laugh:  :naughty: 

*laughs manically as loads of stranded Corollas lie by the side of the road*

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

Meant to say if money etc. Mine is a 1.8 Design on order for the boot space and purchase price reasons

Thanks again for opinions. I am leaning towards the economy of the 1.8 and the lesser chances of picking up penalty driving points. I am used to filling up just over 500 miles in my Leon so I am not sure the 370 mile radius of the 2.0 would suit me.  Granted if it was for pure driving experience the 2.0 would win hands down but it will mainly be a workhorse and the 1.8 seems more boringly practical. 

44 minutes ago, Coypi said:

Thanks again for opinions. I am leaning towards the economy of the 1.8 and the lesser chances of picking up penalty driving points. I am used to filling up just over 500 miles in my Leon so I am not sure the 370 mile radius of the 2.0 would suit me.  Granted if it was for pure driving experience the 2.0 would win hands down but it will mainly be a workhorse and the 1.8 seems more boringly practical. 

The size of the tank is small so take that into consideration when filling up. My previous car was a Peugeot 3008 and it took about £85-90 of diesel to fill it up and i only got about 390 miles per tank, shamefully. For this and many other reasons i'm loving my 1.8 HB design.