Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K&N replacement air filter on Auris 2007-2012 ...worth the change ?

Supaflymx101

Hi
Has anyone went from a stock Auris air filter to a K&N direct panel replacement filter ?
Just wanting to know if you noticed a difference or not ? And what was noticeable after replacing the filter ?
Just wanting to hear from people with first hand experience... before i make the change or decide to continue to use stock air filter.

thnx

What are you expecting it to do?

Try using search, i think there were similar topics on that subject.

But to me it's just a placebo effect, at least on an Auris.

Not used one myself, but wouldn't recommend one as they use an oiled mesh; Usually they're okay out the box - Anecdotally, maybe 1-2hp improvement with a slight reduction in filtration, but I've seen a few posts over the years where people have cleaned and re-oiled them too much which has then messed up the MAF as the excess oil has been sucked in.

Usually the most effective way to get some ponies back, esp. on older cars, is a shot of Redex fuel system cleaner in the tank.

• Like 1

Not on an Auris, but used K&N panels on our toyota engined 1.0 107 and 108, not noticed any noticeable difference, but I got them for longevity as we tend keep our cars for quite a while. Also not had any issues either. So for me any performance gains just an added bonus especially on a 1.0!

I've had good performance gains in the past but that was with a K&N induction kit on a bigger engined car.

In my experience panel filters dont do much, you can get just as good an effect changing the cheap paper filter more often.

You can get results with a good closed induction kit provided you give it a proper cold air feed from the grille.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Supaflymx101 said:

Has anyone went from a stock Auris air filter to a K&N direct panel replacement filter ?
Just wanting to know if you noticed a difference or not ? And what was noticeable after replacing the filter ?

Not done it on Auris but I can talk in general terms from experience.

Unless you're racing the car on track and/or you have done some serious NA tuning that requires more than standard  airflow, then I wouldn't bother. By all means, install one, but don't expect to notice any difference. 

If you like more intake sound (which is nice) then you could get rid of the air-box altogether and install a cone filter. You may get some power improvement assuming you can maintain a cold air feed as good as the standard, but you may also get a less smooth torque curve. It will sound better though 🙂

• Like 1

I ran an HKS super hybrid filter in my GT86 for a year, it literally felt no different to when it had the OEM filter in it. So I put an OEM filter back in it.

• Like 2

At the most, any difference felt will be minor. Most likely, no difference at all.

And there's also more particles going inside the engine. K&N Filter are very tolerant when it comes to filtering... Long run reliability issues may occur, and if your car is an older model, the long run may become short run...

I'd stick with the standard ones. You don't have to buy Toyota/Denso. Hengst, Bosch, mann, MAHLE, etc. are of very high quality.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OK i went ahead and got a K&N panel filter. And i must say i have noticed a difference immediately. The lag i had on initial take off has improved and acceleration in general has improved. I do feel the car a bit nippier 🙂

Overall i am very satisfied. Next to do a oil change and spark plugs change. Then she will be going like a dream 😎

• Like 3

I fitted a K&N to my Golf GTi 35 years ago and it's still there, so I would recommend it for my Golf 👍

But induction systems have changed since then and may not be as effective nowadays ?

i use on my auris 2015 hybrid, can't tell u if it helps with power but with mpg-s it helps, not too much but ...

On 5/5/2022 at 3:09 PM, flash22 said:

What engine mount front, rear, left or right ?

Front - 12361-0T191

Rear - 12371-0T220

RH - 12305-0T160

LH - 12372-0T290

On 5/5/2022 at 2:33 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, most likely yes. To be sure u need to check cross reference numbers of the parts. https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota

On 6/12/2022 at 4:53 AM, Supaflymx101 said:

OK i went ahead and got a K&N panel filter. And i must say i have noticed a difference immediately. The lag i had on initial take off has improved and acceleration in general has improved. I do feel the car a bit nippier 🙂

Overall i am very satisfied. Next to do a oil change and spark plugs change. Then she will be going like a dream 😎

The placebo effect is brilliant, isn't it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stick with paper filters and change regularly. k&n and similar will eventually muck up your maf with their oil particles. Best cheap improvement I made was removing the 1m+ looped hose from the front of the air box and replaced with small 30° aluminium pipe. Better flow and nicer (to me) sound.

• Like 3