Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miles per full tank of fuel

Barbel lad

How many miles are you guys getting with a full tank of fuel 

• Like 1

You would be best to work out your actual consumption on a brim to brim basis. Then you will be able to quote your actual consumption and see how it compares to others.

• Like 1

About 200 around town (40 mpg) when the last segment starts flashing. Easily gets 50+ mpg on the motorway.

When the last segment is flashing is there still plenty in there or is that realy on the last little bit of fuel.   sorry for all the questions but only just got this vehicle 

The fuel gauge plummets from 4 bars down-over, so when the last segment is flashing you'll be lucky to have 20 miles remaining. I never allow it to drop below 2 bars.

According to the owners manual there are approx 5.9 litres of fuel remaining when the low fuel light illuminates.

14 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

According to the owners manual there are approx 5.9 litres of fuel remaining when the low fuel light illuminates.

Which should give you about 50 miles range at 40mpg. I think even the 5.9 L figure is conservative. If I remember correct, the tank should hold about 33 litre. If I fill up when the last segment starts flashing I can usually fill about 22-23 litre. 

I always fill up at around 300 miles, when the last bar starts to flash. Furthest I dared was 330 miles. I can usually get 28-29 litres in.

I find it takes a good 100 miles for the first bar to disappear and then magically the others vanish quite quickly. My avg mpg fluctuates around 50-52.

I Remember seeing a article years ago that some guys drove around Britain visiting cities and got in excess of 500 miles! I would love to know how but I guess in a brand new car maybe it would be possible??!

Toyotas are generally known to have quite a generous 'reserve' but I've never really dared test it fully! I sortof did once in my old Mk1 Yaris D4D and IIRC managed a hundred more miles on the last flashing block before I got scared and refuelled :laugh: That was a diesel tho' and the tank wasn't anywhere near as V-shaped as it is in the IQ and Mk2 Yaris so probably a more extreme example.

Car salesmen are renowned for playing "demo car fuel roulette" Whereby they never want to fuel a demo and will squeeze the last drop out if possible :crybaby: :crybaby:

• Haha 1

I managed just shy of 300 miles from full to the last little flashing segment all my driving is urban stop start managing around 48mpg if the computer is accurate.  like I say this is my first iq and I’m realy pleased with it. i sort of look forward to driving it as it’s lots of fun and a crazy turning circle 😂

• Like 1

43 mpg short local journeys,  52 on regional main roads.

Have yet to drive this the 365 miles to relatives which will be interesting.

Had to drive about 35 miles on a flashing R-bar thinking I only had 20 miles worth (ref. memory of 1st gen Yaris) through empty no-petrol countryside.  When filled, still had some left.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've done a number of long road trips recently in our iQ, with 2 adults plus a full backseat boot space of luggage. Each trip getting >60mpg when running 99 octane, and *just* squeezing 60mpg when using normal petrol. Trips have been around 1000 miles motorway / a roads and 1000 miles long distance local twisty roads. Using AC around a third of the time.

On the initial long slog up the M6/M74 I have once managed to get 440 miles. The last segment was flashing for about 50 miles.

At home doing very short commute journeys (2 miles a time) I'll tend to average 40-50mpg. With hybrid working this means I only fill up every 3-4 months, and that's doing so at 2 segments left.

2009 iQ2 1L manual, 30k miles since new.

Just run some numbers.  At 70 mpg and 42 ltr tank I have a potential range of 650 miles. 

Best displayed range on 'full' has been 570 with a typical display of 525.

This suggests a reserve of 6-8 ltrs. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 9:28 AM, Allicia8 said:

I always fill up at around 300 miles, when the last bar starts to flash. Furthest I dared was 330 miles. I can usually get 28-29 litres in.

I find it takes a good 100 miles for the first bar to disappear and then magically the others vanish quite quickly. My avg mpg fluctuates around 50-52.

I would agree with this, I never do more than 30 miles when the last bar flashes, the best I've had from a full tank is 340miles when the bar started flashing but that was a long trip from Winchester to Warrington and back, and that's with an IQ3 manual.

regards Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still getting used to "Alberich" so haven't worked out an MPG yet but I did notice that when I tanked with a flashing reserve I only managed to squeeze in 24.5 Litres. The tank holds 32 Litres so it seems the reserve is 7 which should go quite a way. Currently I am looking at a small reserve petrol can. I have a 2L one in my Yaris.  Reserve fuel cans are like spare tyres - if you have one it will never be needed but if you don't have one you will end up at the side of the road wishing you had one. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't bother with a fuel can. Just fill up when the low fuel light comes on !

• Like 1

NEVER EVER run out of fuel in a Hybrid.........ever............Just fill it up when it gets low, you're welcome 👍

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Living in the Yorkshire Dales (not much traffic driving but lots of steep hills) my IQ averages from 50 to 55mpg. It is marginally less than my previous 1L Aygo but much nicer to drive!

• Like 3

I was just thinking about this.

I just had a longish road trip in my 1.3 IQ3. In total I pushed it to 297 miles. When the last bar started flashing I travelled another 20 miles to the petrol station and filled up, it took 29 litres.

Normally when the last bar starts to flash I head to the nearby petrol station whereby I find on average 27 litres will fill the tank.

• Like 2

The most I've ever filled up on the tank is 37.271 litres.

I also beat Toyota's record of 500 miles by 20 miles. That was one hell of a scary drive for the last few miles as the car started to chug.

I managed it by driving at 30 on quiet country roads to and from work early in the morning and evening.

• Like 3

I usually fill up at about 250 miles...

Feels safe and I don't want to run out on the road...

I get about 52mpg...

• Like 1