Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4WD mode & traction battery

mobi

I believe RAV4 Trail mode operates a separate motor on rear axle. If traction Battery is low then EV mode does not work and engine drives the car. So under such scenario, what will happen if you activate Trail mode? 

Does it mean if EV mode not available (i.e. traction Battery has not enough charge) then RAV4 is always 2WD?

Trail mode just modifies the drive characteristics the AWD is always present and drives the rear wheels as and when required. This does not change it switches to 2WD when there is no demand for AWD regardless of the power source.
If the car switches to HEV mode it still uses the electric motors for the majority of the time, the ICE runs typically at 2K rpm to charge the Battery and drive is as if it were running in EV mode with power being provided via the ICE. If there is a high demand for power the ICE can also drive the car directly.

• Like 1

The ICE drives the generator, the generator charges the Battery so that there is always power to drive the rear motor. 

55 minutes ago, ernieb said:

the ICE runs typically at 2K rpm to charge the battery

I agree with your response, but just curious as to how you've come up the the 2k rpm number, seeing ad there's no rev counter that I can see...? Educated guess, or am I missing something? Thx 

• Thanks 1

If you search around you’ll find that the maximum efficiency of the car converting the fuel into useful energy is around 2000 rpm and achieves in the order of 41%, best in class performance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mike. Dynamic premium with HUD? You can add a tacho to the hud. Very useful to see what the ice is up to!!

5 hours ago, Aj70 said:

Mike. Dynamic premium with HUD? You can add a tacho to the hud. Very useful to see what the ice is up to!!

Didn't know that. I just have the one with the power meter (ie chg/eco/pwr) along the bottom. I presume its an option to change in the MID? 

yes, it's somewhere in there. Think it's in a heading of "HUD" and you can have either the clever or the radio which is also a horizontal meter.Mike. Dynamic premium with HUD? You can add a tacho to the hud. Very useful to see what the ice is up to!!

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links