Do Not Sell My Personal Information

335d x drive owner.Thinking about Yaris/Cross just checking in.

Liam57

Can you be more specific ?

6 hours ago, Liam57 said:

Diesel not do nicely!.

What a strange thing to say without context or any explanation.

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

???

Sorry for my cryptic comment.

Now £101 to fill up my tank.Diesel was much cheaper when i bought the car 3 years ago.The novelty has worn off and i'm looking for something with the best fuel economy.Not electric though.

There was an article about good, fast diesel cars that said 'diesel do nicely'.

• Thanks 1

My wife gets 63mpg out of her Yaris without any effort to get it, she doesn't hypermile in any way.

Yaris is nippy and certainly fast enough for normal traffic but compared to a 335d most cars will feel slow 😀

• Like 1

Most people get a 335d/535d to munch motorway miles and/or tow with. I'm sure the Yaris will be happy doing motorway miles. Towing not so much. Either way, you'd have to lower your expectations on effortless acceleration. Corolla 2.0 or 1.8 may be an alternative to consider as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, APS said:

Most people get a 335d/535d to munch motorway miles and/or tow with. I'm sure the Yaris will be happy doing motorway miles. Towing not so much. Either way, you'd have to lower your expectations on effortless acceleration. Corolla 2.0 or 1.8 may be an alternative to consider as well.

Yes,i've been reading up about them as well.Might be a decent compromise. to take the shock out of my system.😀

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

My wife gets 63mpg out of her Yaris without any effort to get it, she doesn't hypermile in any way.

Yaris is nippy and certainly fast enough for normal traffic but compared to a 335d most cars will feel slow 😀

Yes,i saw the What Car Award recently for the Yaris Cross having the best real world MPG figure.They said it was even better than last years mpg winner(the Yaris).But i don't see how that's possible?.🤔 

54 minutes ago, Liam57 said:

Now £101 to fill up my tank.Diesel was much cheaper when i bought the car 3 years ago.The novelty has worn off and i'm looking for something with the best fuel economy.Not electric though

Out of curiosity, what mpg do you typically get from the 335?

28 minutes ago, APS said:

Out of curiosity, what mpg do you typically get from the 335?

Taking it easy to work etc about 40.Drive it hard and it drops to about 30.Eco Pro mode is just horrible/pointless.It's still great for a 3.0 twin turbo mind.

• Thanks 1

If you don't need a big car, the Mk4 Yaris is a hoot - It's the closest thing to my old Mk1 Yaris diesel, which had very strong torque at any speed in any gear, and got 60-65mpg.

The Mk4 also pulls very strongly at any speed, has even better responsiveness (No turbo to spin up, just instant electric torque!) and gets even better mpg! (I tend to bounce between 70 and 80mpg tank average depending on my mood :laugh: )

The Mk4 is the closest thing I've driven to a good small turbodiesel - It has the same near-instant torque delivery I loved about the old 1.4 D4D, and is genuinely efficient - You don't have to drive efficiently to get good mpg, which is the hallmark of a truly efficient car.

(Of course if you do drive efficiently it will reward you with absolutely stupid mpgs :laugh: )

The car is also amazingly agile and much more confidence-inspiring than previous Yarisusueesuises on twisty roads - The steering is a bit overassisted and nowhere near as communicative as the hydraulic steering in my Mk1, but the car is muuuch stiffer, wider and lower than any other Yaris before it which all really improve the steering dynamics very noticeably. It's as fun as an Aygo to fling round corners, which is impressive given how much heavier it is, and has near-Fiesta levels of handling feel (Fords typically being the benchmark for good handling for some reason!)

It is even passable on long journeys, although I am using my Special Back Support Towel to stave off the spine-crippling seat in mine, but I imagine it would be a good way to loose friends if you had them in the back for said long journey! I also won't want to tow anything in it - It does remarkably well with 4 adults and a boot full of gear, but I could feel it wasn't overly keen on it, esp. on the uppy-downy-twisty roads we were on trying to find Goodwood :laugh: The hybrid system is much improved over the Mk3's and it will haul said load happily up a twisty hill with much more confidence, even when the Battery starts to run down, although the economy takes a nose-dive at that point as it switches from a gentle fuel-sipping Miller/Atkinson-cycle engine into full-power 1.5L gas-guzzling Otto-cycle power mode!

By comparison my Mk1 D4D literally didn't car how much weight you put in it - The turbo would just sound louder and it'd continue to haul with barely an increase in fuel usage.

The Mk4 has a lot of flaws, but from just a driving perspective it's an amazingly good car.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Cyker.I'm off on hol this week.So i'll be having a good look around this site.Looks like a goldmine of info.