Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic locking

Kay29

Just a quick enquiry of any one can help.

I have a Yaris hybrid 2017 model.

Recently noticed that if I unlock my car with the buttons on the key and do not open the doors a minute later the car will automatically lock by itself. It does not do this all the time so just wanted to know if I could activate this all the time for example if I forget to lock my car after parking it. So I can have peace of mind.

It will only lock if the car has been unlocked and no door opened within 30 (may be 60) seconds. This is normal.

• Like 1

Yea, sadly there's no 'smart exit' (i.e. auto-lock the car when the keys move out of range) function in any of the Smart Entry-equipped Toyotas.

As APS says the auto-lock thing is only if you don't touch any of the doors, and is more of a safety thing e.g. in case you sit on your keys and unlock the car by accident and don't notice.

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yea, sadly there's no 'smart exit' (i.e. auto-lock the car when the keys move out of range) function in any of the Smart Entry-equipped Toyotas

Toyota has thought about this. And then thought again; It would risk locking stray family members left in the car while the driver rushes off to buy a winning lottery ticket - and subsequently forget all about their family in the car. The headlines would look bad "Toyota vehicle holds forgotten family hostage".  That's why. 

Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, APS said:

It will only lock if the car has been unlocked and no door opened within 30 (may be 60) seconds. This is normal.

It's also common in many other makes and models - may even be a standard requirement in some markets. It's not just a Toyota thing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, APS said:

Toyota has thought about this. And then thought again; It would risk locking stray family members left in the car while the driver rushes off to buy a winning lottery ticket - and subsequently forget all about their family in the car. The headlines would look bad "Toyota vehicle holds forgotten family hostage".  That's why. 

Sorry.

But... they're in the car so they'd be able to unlock it still and get out, no? The system wouldn't deadlock the car - No car does that by default - Always you have to explicitly lock it twice with either the key or remote to activate the internal deadlock.

16 minutes ago, Cyker said:

But... they're in the car so they'd be able to unlock it still and get out, no? The system wouldn't deadlock the car - No car does that by default - Always you have to explicitly lock it twice with either the key or remote to activate the internal deadlock.

Yes, several car makers do have walk away locking (Honda, Tesla, Mazda, MB and others). It's late in the afternoon. I was not entirely serious (I did apologise:).

• Haha 2

ah, sorry, you need to use more :laugh:  and :tongue:

• Haha 1