Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water sloshing in door

steviepark

Hi everyone driving home in my 2019 Corolla last night and when i braked or pulled away i could hear water sloshing inside the door so i pulled out the dust cover bung under the door and about 0.5L of water drained from the drain hole, i then removed all 3 bungs and cleaned them and placed them back in the door i was wondering if this is a common issue as i have read that sometimes the front bung is removed completely to allow water to drain easier any help or opinions would be happly recieved. Thanks

Ps talking to dealer seems a waste of time

17 minutes ago, steviepark said:

Hi everyone driving home in my 2019 Corolla last night and when i braked or pulled away i could hear water sloshing inside the door so i pulled out the dust cover bung under the door and about 0.5L of water drained from the drain hole, i then removed all 3 bungs and cleaned them and placed them back in the door i was wondering if this is a common issue as i have read that sometimes the front bung is removed completely to allow water to drain easier any help or opinions would be happly recieved. Thanks

Ps talking to dealer seems a waste of time

This was covered in a previous thread - and removing the bung is a recomendation from the Car Care Nut on You Tube. It sounds like it's best to leave the bung out to let the water drain away. 

Thanks for the link dont know why it should just effect american models though as somebody suggested

Heavier rain? 

Seriously, do you know European models are not affected? 

I dont know if they are or not, part of the forum link which Chris Nutt sent, a comment is made that it only effects american models but that seems to be wrong i was hoping somebody else has had the same experience dealer just pleads ignorance about the issue

Stevie, that comes under the same heading as "no one's complained before". 

I dont think anything ive posted could be seen as a complaint but it depends on your definition of a complaint i just asked a question on the forum. 

I tend to think you were reading something into Roy`s post that wasn`t intended. He was actually just having a wee dig at some dealers and the reheubikd spiel that they churn out.

• Thanks 1

Oops, should have used repetitive to avoid the word police.

I have permanently removed the rearmost bung from every door.  When I removed the one from the drivers door a brief trickle of water came out. It wasn't much but if the door interior never dried out it wouldn't be long before corrosion starts.

I miss-read your post Roy and i apologise 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chris Nutt said:

This was covered in a previous thread - and removing the bung is a recomendation from the Car Care Nut on You Tube. It sounds like it's best to leave the bung out to let the water drain away. 

Thank you for this information!

I watch the Car Care Nut channel regularly and reviewed which dust plugs were installed. The car already had the plugs specified in the bulletin removed (published in the last message of that thread). Nonetheless, I think water or humidity still remains within the door panels, because after I close the windows, you can see water smeared along the exterior face of the crystal. That could be as well due to the quality of the crystal seals, that probably allows water to punch through or be stored within the seal after rain or washing the car, and not only due to water being unable to drain off...

I'll try to remove all the plugs and see if this issue reduces or maintains itself.

Gérard, interesting.  I removed mine, didn't bother the dealer.  

6 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Gérard, interesting.  I removed mine, didn't bother the dealer.  

Water and metal are a definite combination that will produce rust. As sure as the sun rises in the sky. And anything you can do to keep them apart is better than doing nothing.

I have just looked at several new models, they all have those bungs in the door. In my mind you must have somewhere for the water to go, the scraper seal at the top of the door is not waterproof, water DOES get into the door and must be allowed out, does the bung have a hole in did anyone notice? Will take a look at my Corolla later, I have never heard water sloshing around in my car door

When i removed them they were very muddy and clogged there is not a hole as such its a couple of very small slots inside clearly to allow water to escape but for something designed to keep dirt out mine were clogged with dirt! Perhaps it was doing its job too well also it was the passenger side which probably pulls more dirt from the kerb side of the road as you go through puddles etc now ive cleaned them and tested with several watering cans of water i will see how they last and if it happens again. Have taken a couple of pics as best i can hope they show the route of the water

20220601_172006.jpg

20220601_171731.jpg

I believe these are to be removed completely prior to delivery when cars were new. The reason why they had been installed by the manufacturer are because the doors of all cars gets some sort of wax coating inside for rust protection and this thing is actually dripping out from there when the car is new and coating hasn’t been hardened enough. On white cars is much easier to spot. 👍

I'm sure this topic came up before and someone posted a Toyota bulletin about it? It showed which plugs to leave in and which to remove ...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hello. I have a 2022 Corolla Cross model with the same problem. My comment would be. Why does the water get in the door in the first place?

In the near future there will be corrosion problems. 

37 minutes ago, Carlos Cappellin said:

Hello. I have a 2022 Corolla Cross model with the same problem. My comment would be. Why does the water get in the door in the first place?

PK already answered that:

On 6/1/2022 at 4:26 PM, Parts-King said:

I have just looked at several new models, they all have those bungs in the door. In my mind you must have somewhere for the water to go, the scraper seal at the top of the door is not waterproof, water DOES get into the door and must be allowed out, does the bung have a hole in did anyone notice? Will take a look at my Corolla later, I have never heard water sloshing around in my car door

2 minutes ago, Carlos Cappellin said:

Hi, 

these plugs needs to be removed prior to delivery of the brand new car. 
They are placed there in the factory after special coating (wax) against corrosion been applied on the inside of the doors.
The plugs stop this coating pouring out before been dried properly and the car been exposed to direct sunlight.
The doors on all cars are also designed to work as gutters, because the weather strips on top does not stop completely water to enter inside the door. Any water ingress or condensation can be evacuated out through these holes. This is also a good reason not to add any extra sound deadening material inside the doors as it may become a wet and lock moisture inside causing a premature rust formation. 👍

By heck there are some angry people on that thread

This is nothing new, doors have let in water and have it drain out the bottom for years, they are designed that way. The scraper seals do not stop small amounts of water from getting in, but of course it needs to drain out 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

By heck there are some angry people on that thread

This is nothing new, doors have let in water and have it drain out the bottom for years, they are designed that way. The scraper seals do not stop small amounts of water from getting in, but of course it needs to drain out 

People will have there minds blown when they spot the drain holes in the tailgate then really have a fit if they look under the car & spot the drain holes in the sills as well 😂

• Haha 2

The Car Care Nut on Youtube recommends removing the front plugs from the front doors and the rear plugs from the rear doors  to allow water to drain from the doors.  I removed mine and a small amount of water ran out from the driver's door.  

• Like 1