Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Yaris Cross Hybrid

Jimota

Hi Everyone

I’m new to the forum having recently ordered a Yaris Cross Design model.  Delivery is estimated to be around October/November, so like many others I’m in for a fairly long wait.  Maybe it’s early days but I was wondering if any members have actually received their Yaris Cross and what there overall impressions are of their particular model.  Over the past 30 years I remained loyal to Audi/Volkswagen and their excellent DSG semi automatic gearbox but as my driving needs have changed I decided to look at other brands.  The Yaris Cross immediately attracted me to a small SUV and after a really impressive test drive and the friendly sales team at Macklin Motors, Glasgow, I decided to move to Toyota.  Hope some of the Yaris Cross owners will find some time time to give an update on their recent purchase.

Cheer

Welcome James, I`m sure you will enjoy the Yaris Cross when it arrives.

I must say that I have never ever heard of the VW DSG Autobox described as excellent. 

• Like 2

There are reports here on the Cross.  One very adverse criticism, the rest are favourable. 

Your quoted lead time is encouraging for me, puts me in mid July 🤞

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, john p williams said:

Welcome James, I`m sure you will enjoy the Yaris Cross when it arrives.

I must say that I have never ever heard of the VW DSG Autobox described as excellent. 

Well they're fine when driving, they just suck at very low speed and I don't like the slight delay when trying to launch one at e.g. a roundabout, but this is a problem with almost all automatics.

The biggest downside with DSGs is when they go wrong, as that pretty much writes off the car!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jimota, Ive had a Cross Excel for 3 months now after previously owning a later mark Rav Hybrid and so far have found it OK for my needs. Its fine around town and given the extra push from the electric motor can zip in and out of roundabouts easily in my experience. The smaller Suv makes it much more agile in town especially when compared to the Rav and school runs are less stressful as a result. Fuel consumption has been excellent with a recent 400 mile round trip short holiday to Wales being 70mpg with mixed driving and i wasn't hyper-smiling. It can run out of shove compared to a Rav but that has a litre more cc in the engine. Its been very comfortable in the front and the suspension is generally good. The Cross has shown itself to be a versatile, comfortable, zippy, functional and economical car.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Well they're fine when driving, they just suck at very low speed and I don't like the slight delay when trying to launch one at e.g. a roundabout, but this is a problem with almost all automatics.

The biggest downside with DSGs is when they go wrong, as that pretty much writes off the car!

I have 3 and just sold a 4th automatic and not one of them displays the slight delay you mention Cy.

Mazda 2, CX3 and Merc W210 autos are all Torque Convertor Boxes. The Lexus GS is an e-cvt box and the Mark 3 Yaris was a Multidrive.

The M.M.T. IDrive, DSG and other twin clutch models were cra*. 

Thanks everyone for your comments so far.  For the past 30 years I’ve owned Audi/VW vehicles, 5 with manual boxes and 6 with DSG boxes.  I’m now retired but used to travel extensively throughout Scotland using mainly A and B  class roads.  One of the main criticisms of the DSG box was that it was a little bit “jerky” when emerging from junctions but with a light right foot you could eliminate that issue.  Otherwise, the DSG was excellent over undulating and winding roads which some automatics might struggle with.

Anyway, my needs have now changed as I now travel mainly on urban roads with occasional trips on the motorway.  I did have a doubt about the CVT box on the Yaris Cross but after an interesting test drive I decided it was the car for me.  I couldn’t believe that the car returned 76 mpg over a very short trip on the motorway followed by an urban route through the south side of Glasgow.  Really impressed with Toyota and look forward to getting my Yaris Cross in the not too distant future. Please keep the comments coming in.

Cheers

• Like 10

It is technically a CVT but not in the traditional sense where it is driven by tapered bands.  It is connected to the differential by gears and not by a chain.  It uses the MG1 input motor to control the ratio of the epicyclic gear train.  Mine has zero lag and in fact it feels more like launch control taking off from a junction.  I’ve got the Yaris but I’ve got a Cross on order (November was suggested by the dealer but I’m not holding them to that). I took my neighbour for hers on Sunday.  It’s every bit as good and looks the part.   I’ll be fitting steps and mudflaps soon which I’ll document.  

467F5704-68C2-4348-9ADC-6CBE6C96EA19.jpeg

• Like 7

That’s the same colour as mine, 

That’s a nice colour.  Saw my first Yaris Cross parked outside Marks and Spencer this evening. It was plain white and looks really good with the black privacy glass and dark wheel arch trims.  That’s the colour I ordered too.

Cheers

• Like 2

Is there any way to download the Yaris Cross owners manual without using the VIN number as I don’t have mine yet.

Cheers

Yes, goto the place where it asks for your VIN, and click on the small writing that says something like you want to do a generic search instead.

From there you can select the year and model of the car you want the manual for.

I don't know why they word it like that as it is very unintuitive - We've had soo many people post the same question over the years despite getting to that page themselves!!

Thanks for the advice Cyker, owners manual now downloaded.  Look forward to reading every section before I go to sleep at night!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jim, funny old thing, parked next to a My 20 Corolla in that colour scheme. 

We have ordered the Tacuma Grey.  Unny thing, now noticing many more shades of grey cars around. 

I've had my Yaris Cross Design (red) since November and have done 9,800 miles.

I find it a delight to drive, brisk away from start although I don't normally floor the pedal, and extremely economical. My mpg figures are usually in the mid 70s particularly in warm weather.

I do a lot of volunteer hospital driving and my passengers frequently praise the comfort and smooth ride. Some have a bit of trouble getting in the back with the rear doors not opening wide. The boot is well shaped and can accommodate folding wheelchairs and zimmer frames.

The interior light is a bit feeble and the car could do with one in the back. Otherwise the only other improvement would be to have the inside door levers chromed to make them more obvious.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, anchorman said:

It is technically a CVT but not in the traditional sense where it is driven by tapered bands.  It is connected to the differential by gears and not by a chain.  It uses the MG1 input motor to control the ratio of the epicyclic gear train.  Mine has zero lag and in fact it feels more like launch control taking off from a junction.  I’ve got the Yaris but I’ve got a Cross on order (November was suggested by the dealer but I’m not holding them to that). I took my neighbour for hers on Sunday.  It’s every bit as good and looks the part.   I’ll be fitting steps and mudflaps soon which I’ll document.  

467F5704-68C2-4348-9ADC-6CBE6C96EA19.jpeg

You won't be disappointed, they're a cracking motor, I'd have had an awd but I've already got the ssangyong 4wd, personally I think it's better on a roads than motorway, but you can't beat a diesel on a motorway can you, buts that's just me. The yc mixes it with the a14 and m6 zoomie's no problem, but I tend to toodle along at 67mph on radar cruise.perfect replacement for my much missed 3 door rav, petrol version.

• Like 2

Aktima, I know my Mercedes 220D was considerably heavier and had greater capacity, but on a long motorway drive at a true 70 I could almost get 50 mpg. 

With the Corolla, really pushing it in foul weather I could only just get it below 50 😁

Must admit though that I was quite happy in the Merc at 100 mph in CC but would not be comfortable anywhere near that in the Corolla. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Aktima, I know my Mercedes 220D was considerably heavier and had greater capacity, but on a long motorway drive at a true 70 I could almost get 50 mpg. 

With the Corolla, really pushing it in foul weather I could only just get it below 50 😁

Must admit though that I was quite happy in the Merc at 100 mph in CC but would not be comfortable anywhere near that in the Corolla. 

My ssangyong is a tivoli xlv 4wd, 1600 diesel ,6 speed manual, going to work is 46 miles up the a14 and m6, at 67mph I'm getting 51 mpg, good enough, but the yc aces it at 59 mpg. 

7 hours ago, atkiman said:

perfect replacement for my much missed 3 door rav, petrol version.

Glad to hear you saying that. That’s exactly the trade I’m making. I should double my mpg!

I saw the Aygo Cross today in Cardamom Green. That’s a really nice colour. I wish that was an option on the YC.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:40 PM, anchorman said:

I’ll be fitting steps and mudflaps soon which I’ll document.

Are the steps purely for cosmetic reasons? I’ve not seen them IRL but they look too narrow and close to the sill to be a useful addition. Also looks like they reduce ground clearance back to regular Yaris levels.

• Like 1

The bloke round the corner from me with a doubleganger of mine has steps and mudflaps, i gave them a good look over as i nearly had them. Still not sure , but i wouldn't stand on them , more show than go i think, personally i'd prefer chrome side bars. His wife is on the short side though so i can see why he had them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IT Troll said:

Are the steps purely for cosmetic reasons? I’ve not seen them IRL but they look too narrow and close to the sill to be a useful addition. Also looks like they reduce ground clearance back to regular Yaris levels.

It’s a good question.   The lady that owns it is tiny and she has terminal cancer.   She’s not very mobile and struggles with grip because her hands are slightly disfigured from chemo.   With the seat down, she can’t see out and with it up her feet are dangling in mid air.  We don’t know yet if these steps are going to help or hinder because if she can’t step on them, she’ll have to step over them.  I’m not concerned about her weight on them because she’s so small.  Anyway, I’m getting them next week and I’ll show you in photos what the outcome is and if they’re not a success, I’ll buy them off her for mine when it rocks up later this year or early next.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, anchorman said:

With the seat down, she can’t see out and with it up her feet are dangling in mid air.

A suggestion that might help. 

Place some blocks of wood under the mat to raise the floor. 

I had one car, it could have been a Ford Anglia, where the floor pan was not flat.  I levelled it with some wood and covered with carpet and literal forgot about it. It had made a huge difference. 

3 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

A suggestion that might help. 

Place some blocks of wood under the mat to raise the floor. 

I had one car, it could have been a Ford Anglia, where the floor pan was not flat.  I levelled it with some wood and covered with carpet and literal forgot about it. It had made a huge difference. 

Thanks Roy.  She seems fine at the wheel and can reach the pedals, it’s just as she turns to get out where things look bad, her feet are about a foot off the ground.  It’s a catch 22.  I bought her Yaris because she needs to be as prepared as possible to go to hospital at short notice and we live in the Peak District.  She’s got the AWD now with all season tyres so she’s all set up.   She could get in and out of the standard Yaris no problem 🙄. This is her old Yaris (mine now) getting the once over at my house.  

527ED52B-74A4-4169-8E84-427CF0A4FB4F.jpeg

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, anchorman said:

She’s got the AWD now with all season tyres so she’s all set up.

Those all season Continentals sound like a much better match for an AWD model. Seems a shame that Toyota fit summer tyres as standard across the range. They could at least give you a choice.

• Like 2