Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2023 Corolla announced

Rhysm

1 hour ago, ianderson said:

Corolla 2022 had about 52/53 mpg combined with the old generation hybrid system
Corolla 2023 has about 45/47 mpg combined with the new generation hybrid system

How is this more fuel efficient?

Toyota don't claim the 2023 model has better fuel economy -

The New Corolla features the fifth generation of Toyota’s world-leading self-charging, full hybrid electric system.

"As with the current model, 1.8 and 2.0-litre hybrid systems are available. Both benefit from significant changes to their engine and electric motor that enhance the driving experience with extra power, improved performance and drivability, and same or lower CO2 emissions (depending on the powertrain). The power control unit (PCU) and transaxle motor have been redesigned and the lithium-ion Battery is more powerful, yet smaller and lighter (mass reduced by up to 18 kg, depending on the powertrain).

Total power from the 1.8-litre system is 140 DIN hp, bringing a 1.7-second reduction in the 0-100 km/h time to 9.2 seconds. Despite this performance increase, CO2 emissions are expected to be unchanged at 102 g/km. For the 2.0-litre system, total output has risen to 196 DIN hp and almost half a second has been shaved from the 0-100 km/h time, taking it down to 7.5 seconds. A reduction of 3 g/km in the combined cycle CO2 figure is expected, to 107 g/km."

Toyota announces the new 2023 Corolla

2 minutes ago, bunnyrabbit03 said:

Based on the data available on the Toyota UK website, the MY23 1.8 Corolla has similar consumption and emissions as the MY22 Corolla. This would imply that Toyota increased the overall performance of the car to encourage especially drivers who are used to turbo diesels to switch to a hybrid, rather than keep the existing performance envelope and decrease fuel consumption.  

Yea that's pretty much what i expect from the new generation and it's great having more power for similar consumtion, i don't believe toyota would sacrifice consumtion by over 1l/100km just for 20 more horsepower.

48 minutes ago, bunnyrabbit03 said:

Based on the data available on the Toyota UK website, the MY23 1.8 Corolla has similar consumption and emissions as the MY22 Corolla. This would imply that Toyota increased the overall performance of the car to encourage especially drivers who are used to turbo diesels to switch to a hybrid, rather than keep the existing performance envelope and decrease fuel consumption.

Based on reviews the average consumption drops 0.5l per 100

"Previously, the front-drive-only Corolla hybrid earned 53 mpg in the city and 52 mpg on the highway, netting an impressive combined EPA rating of 52 mpg. For 2023, the front-drive model now sees its combined EPA rating drop by 5 mpg to 47 mpg; its city and highway estimates also drop to 50 and 43, respectively. "

Other reviewers report that the combined EPA rating is 45 mpg. That is 0.7l.

All these ratings are on a perfect scenario. The real world fuel consumption is probably with 1liter difference. But even if these ratings are correct it is like 20 horse power for 0.5l per 100km drop in fuel efficiency.

I still did not order that. I bough a corolla for fuel consumption. I have an old and powerful Audi as a fast car. I bought the Corolla for fuel consumption for my daily 100km commute. I drive that road with a maximum of 90km/h, often staying around 80km/h. I do not need horse power.

EPA is an American agency rather than European and cars for the US market will differ from those in the European market. The US gallon is smaller than the Imperial gallon, so the quoted 53/52 mpg (US) equates to 63.6/62.4 (Imperial) mpg.

42 minutes ago, ianderson said:

Based on reviews the average consumption drops 0.5l per 100

"Previously, the front-drive-only Corolla hybrid earned 53 mpg in the city and 52 mpg on the highway, netting an impressive combined EPA rating of 52 mpg. For 2023, the front-drive model now sees its combined EPA rating drop by 5 mpg to 47 mpg; its city and highway estimates also drop to 50 and 43, respectively. "

Other reviewers report that the combined EPA rating is 45 mpg. That is 0.7l.

All these ratings are on a perfect scenario. The real world fuel consumption is probably with 1liter difference. But even if these ratings are correct it is like 20 horse power for 0.5l per 100km drop in fuel efficiency.

I still did not order that. I bough a corolla for fuel consumption. I have an old and powerful Audi as a fast car. I bought the Corolla for fuel consumption for my daily 100km commute. I drive that road with a maximum of 90km/h, often staying around 80km/h. I do not need horse power.

I agree with you. My personal preference would have been for lower fuel consumption at the current performance level. If you need more performance, simply buy the 2.0 engine. From a sales/marketing perspective, I am also not sure if Toyota's decision will make sense, i.e. sales of the more powerful MY 23 1.8 might cannibalise sales of the even more powerful MY 23 2.0 version.

• Like 1

There's a notice on the UK Toyota site saying that all data is for the outgoing MY22.

I really wish they'd update it.

5 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

There's a notice on the UK Toyota site saying that all data is for the outgoing MY22.

I really wish they'd update it.

It seems they updated the engine information in the configurator, but in other parts of the website the specifications are still MY22. As someone wrote earlier, the website is a mess. 

• Like 2

Toyota is about to hike the new car prices even more worldwide as they disclosed less earnings as a result of high energy cost, supply chain issues and the general economical and political environment everywhere. 

I think when it comes to fuel economy figures Toyota are always efficient and almost reach their proposed consumption figures if not better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Toyota is about to hike the new car prices even more worldwide as they disclosed less earnings as a result of high energy cost, supply chain issues and the general economical and political environment everywhere. 

Glad I got my order in early September in that case 😲

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, solfer said:

Glad I got my order in early September in that case 😲

Just make sure it is price protected - we discussed this issue at length previously on the Forum 😅

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bunnyrabbit03 said:

Just make sure it is price protected - we discussed this issue at length previously on the Forum 😅

Yes, our quotes from Listers in Cov are guaranteed for 12 months from date of order.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bunnyrabbit03 said:

Thanks for the heads up! Dealer has confirmed I won't be charged more for the car unless there's a model change (which won't happen as I've ordered the MY23). However... The PCP interest rate I agreed on for my order is only valid if the car is registered before 31st March 2023. That's going to be an issue I'm sure..! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bunnyrabbit03 said:

Could you point me to that thread pls, I can't seem to find it? 

Interior is prettier than MY22 😛. I like this multimedia system and the colors are perfect! 

On 11/3/2022 at 5:17 PM, solfer said:

Thanks for the heads up! Dealer has confirmed I won't be charged more for the car unless there's a model change (which won't happen as I've ordered the MY23). However... The PCP interest rate I agreed on for my order is only valid if the car is registered before 31st March 2023. That's going to be an issue I'm sure..! 

They should still honour it past March 2023.

Just now, volksdub said:

They should still honour it past March 2023.

I'm in a merry-go-round with Toyota UK on Twitter, Toyota Finance, and the dealership, about this. Each of them passing the buck saying "it's not us who deals with this, it's them" 😵💫🥴

1 minute ago, solfer said:

I'm in a merry-go-round with Toyota UK on Twitter, Toyota Finance, and the dealership, about this. Each of them passing the buck saying "it's not us who deals with this, it's them" 😵💫🥴

I went the PCP route for the first time given in was 1.9% and my order shows estimated delivery April 2023.  I contacted Toyota when they changed rates to 4.9% and got told mine will be honoured at 1.9% regardless now that I have placed the order at the previously rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, volksdub said:

I went the PCP route for the first time given in was 1.9% and my order shows estimated delivery April 2023.  I contacted Toyota when they changed rates to 4.9% and got told mine will be honoured at 1.9% regardless now that I have placed the order at the previously rate.

That's good to know, thanks for that 👍 Any idea who you spoke to? Was it by email or over the phone? 

Cheers! 

Dealer rang me to ask if I wanted to order a new Corolla as I was now nearly 3 years into my PCP contract and will have a longish wait for the new one. Also warned me of the interest rate going up soon. So on 1st October I went to the dealer and ordered new Corolla at 1.9 %. And they have kept my payments the same and will honour anything that changes. This includes any interest rise,(which it has now) any price increase on new model and any depreciation on my current Corolla. Dealer said this will be the quickest deal you have ever done.And it was. 1/2 hour with dealer and they didn't even want to look at my Corolla or check the mileage. Amazing trust.  New Corolla estimated delivery sometime in April 2023. The service plan wiill only be £2 month more as well. Got everything in writing.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, volksdub said:

So.. After some message tennis between myself and Toyota UK and Toyota Finance, they've now confirmed that my interest rate is valid for 1 year. 

• Like 1

Does anyone have any idea what shade the Excel leather (“high grey”) will be?  There seems to be no information available!

Just now, Legalraven said:

Does anyone have any idea what shade the Excel leather (“high grey”) will be?  There seems to be no information available!

Nope, I've asked the same question, Toyota have said we need to wait until the full specs are released in (poss) December. Does seem odd they don't have the details to show, but happy to include it in the spec.. 

Was thinking of swapping for a MY23 car but after seeing the APR jump to 7.9% this has made my mind up to keep my MY22. 

The deal on the same terms as I have now goes from £269pm to £437pm 😱