Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VSC light on and P0011 fault code.

dartrader1997

Hi there, strange occurance yesterday. I was doing 60ish on the A55 when the VSC light came on along with the car on skid marks symbol and the check engine light. The car still drove normal and so I came off the 55 at the next junction and parked up and turned car off. I restarted it with no problems and the only light remaining was the check engine light, I had my bluetooth scanner in the glove box so scanned it with the Torque app and got the code P0011. I know what the code relates to and possible causes but I am puzzled what it has to do with the VSC and why the VSC goes off when I turn the car off and only the check engine light stays on with code P0011. Anyway I cleared the code and drove where we needed to be and then home, around 60 miles and it hasn't come back on yet. Now this also happened in January with exactly the same results but I did have the control valve out and tested / cleaned it and since then the car has done around 2000 miles before it happened again yesterday. I did have a look at the live data back in January but only after I'd cleaned the control valve and the advance was working fine as was it yesterday after I'd cleared the code. I didn't think to check the data when the fault was there as I was more concerned with getting going again. The car runs fine and the oil still looks amber in colour but I do change it every year and is due this month and will have done about 5000 miles. I will check the filter in the oil feed to the valve on the next service incase that is dirty etc. If anyone has any idea why the VSC light would come on along with code P0011 then it would be of great interest. Oh by the way the car has done 63000 miles and since I've  owned it for two years has been serviced every year and runs perfect. Sorry for the long post and many thanks in advane.

it's done to make you pay more attention to the fault - if you have a multimeter check the resistance of the OCV

you don't need to change the oil to do OCV filter (pink) -  15678-21010 - around £10 retail

1209832580_1krvvtivalve1.thumb.jpg.9acf8ae20ac775cc59cdd80c3f06e445.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

it's done to make you pay more attention to the fault - if you have a multimeter check the resistance of the OCV

you don't need to change the oil to do OCV filter (pink) -  15678-21010 - around £10 retail

1209832580_1krvvtivalve1.thumb.jpg.9acf8ae20ac775cc59cdd80c3f06e445.jpg

Thanks for that Bob that makes sense, I've measured it and it comes in at 8.2 ohms. I know I've no need to change the oil to do the OCV filter but I will be doing a service the week after next so unless something drastic happens it will wait till then as we've just moved home and so busy. Been out again this morning and the light(s) have remained off and the car ran normal so will see what condition the filter is in when I remove it, is the filter something that will clean or is it a case of replacing it ? I will update when I get to it shortly and many thanks. Dave.

Clean it off with carb cleaner - OCV 6.9 - 7.9 ohms is the range, 8.2 is just out of range, the resistance may be dropping under load = making the current rise, or it is sticking closed/blocked filter causing it to hold oil pressure

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, flash22 said:

Clean it off with carb cleaner - OCV 6.9 - 7.9 ohms is the range, 8.2 is just out of range, the resistance may be dropping under load = making the current rise, or it is sticking closed/blocked filter causing it to hold oil pressure

Had some spare time today to check filter and it was clear. I measured the OCV resistance with engine cold and it was 7.6 ohms but when the engine was hot it was 8.7 ohms, coolant temp 83 degrees C. I know temp will alter the resistance of a coil so not sure what to make of that yet without a little more research. Might just change the valve anyway when I can find a supplier, don't fancy buying from eBay as I've found it to be full of fake or poor quality goods. The car is running fine again for now with no unwanted lights so that's good, for now. Will report back with any news.

Parts are a craps shoot TBH even the well known brands

• Haha 1