Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 Excel 2019 and carplay issue

DavidinDerbyshire

I love my newly acquired 19-reg Rev 4x4 Excel...all except the satnav. What a retrograde step from the 68 CR-H we had before.  Why can't I have "direction 2d" all the time instead of having to get rid of "Direction N" every time I switch on? Why can't I hold the view at 100 yds instead of default 3d which looks like it's seeing the map from a drone?  

So why not use my brand new iPhone 13 and have the phone screen mirrored on the satnav?  Answer? My Rav does not have CarPlay.  But the manual says that all models from 2019 DO have it?  Have I got a case against the dealer?  Of course my car was registered in 2019 and that doesn't mean it is a 2019 model.  

How can a company get all the engineering right and everything else so wrong? 

My techie 37 yr old son spent a long time this afternoon trying to find a way I could get a better navigation app to fill my screen for a forthcoming 200m journey and gave up in disgust.   And when I, later, tried my wife's Android phone with both wi fi and USB I couldn't get any joy with that either.  

Help!

When tested the RAV I was going to buy it didn't have Carplay/Android Auto and when I asked the sales guy about it he said they'll install it prior to collection which they did. 

• Thanks 1

2019 Rav4's and Corollas had the MM17 multimedia unit which didn't have Android Auto/Apple Carplay as standard.

A retrofit upgrade eventually became available from around September 2020, which bought the MM17 up to the later MM19 standard which did have Carplay/Auto. 

The upgrade was at the owner's cost - for the Rav4 £50 if done with a service or £150 if done as a standalone appointment. 

See:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

Of course my car was registered in 2019 and that doesn't mean it is a 2019 model.  

The latest Rav4 (the 4.5) only went on sale in the UK from March 2019 - so it will be a 2019 model.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all, as usual. But I am annoyed it wasn't mentioned when I bought the car. My own fault. I should have done more research into the negatives of the model. But why on earth did Toyota drop the quality of the sat nav?  And why does it default to different settings at each start-up? 

16 minutes ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

Thanks to all, as usual. But I am annoyed it wasn't mentioned when I bought the car. My own fault. I should have done more research into the negatives of the model. But why on earth did Toyota drop the quality of the sat nav?  And why does it default to different settings at each start-up? 

Why not get in touch with the dealer (assuming it was a Toyota dealer) and express your disappointment and ask them to do the upgrade.

If you don't ask you won't get.

• Thanks 1

If it's a Toyota dealer I am sure they will upgrade it for you. There are also head unit updates that will also solve some of the display issues too, give them a ring and explain the problems you are experiencing 

• Thanks 1

I'll let you know how I get on.  It would have been nice to have official announcement that service books are now on-line only unless you want to pay 8 quid for a book you can keep in the glovebox. That's something else I'm taking up with Vertu Chesterfield. Salesman said I'd get it later.   A ploy to bring in a bit of cash if you sell it privately or to another dealership?

Service books are not really needed anymore, all service history is held online, a bit like handbooks, they are not printed to try and cut down on unnecessary paperwork. If your salesman said he would send one on, take it up with him directly  

• Thanks 1

I'm ok with the online on MyT but it does raise the question of re-sale veracity and with that in mind I'll make sure I keep any receipts etc but, to be fair, the salesman was new in the job and I guess he hadn't yet had that bit of training at Osmaston. I was worried because in the past I have bought a car from a well known dealership who said the service booklet had been mislaid...it never turned up and the dealers came up with one they said had been filled in "from their records" but I always had the feeling afterwards that the car, a Mercedes 190, had been clocked.   No such suspicions on my Rav. It feels barely run in at 16k. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Parts-King said:

If it's a Toyota dealer I am sure they will upgrade it for you. There are also head unit updates that will also solve some of the display issues too, give them a ring and explain the problems you are experiencing 

Credit where credit is due. Vertu at Chesterfield are doing the upgrade on Monday f.o.c. which continues my 100 per cent record of satisfaction with them over four car purchases. I shall look forward to using CarPlay like a kid with a new toy. 

• Like 2