Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Android Auto

smashedcucumber

Google is telling users of the Android Auto for Phone Screens app that it’ll no longer work soon via an in-app pop-up message. The app enables a simplified in-car interface of Android that is safer to use while mounting the phone on a car dashboard, a great feature for those who don’t own newer cars with the version of Android Auto that runs on the infotainment screen. Just wondering what to use now as I find the Built in Toyota Mapping isn't that good on my 2019 Rav 4.

Do you plug your phone in via USB, and the AA screen appears on the main display, or do you put your mobile phone on a cradle and activate the android auto app on the phone's screen? 

The former will still work, the latter will not. 

I believe if you have one of current generation rav4s from 2019 that originally did not have inbuilt AA/AC, ie USB & main infotainment screen, then you can have this installed via your local main dealer. 

In a recent thread, I think @FROSTYBALLS said would cost £150 as a standalone appt, or £50 if done at the time of next service

I have to plug my Phone in via USB, and Yes I had to have it installed but for £50 it was well worth it I thought

2 hours ago, smashedcucumber said:

Just wondering what to use now as I find the Built in Toyota Mapping isn't that good on my 2019 Rav 4.

Hear Hear !

• Like 1

... the version of Android Auto that runs on the infotainment screen. Just wondering what to use now as I find the Built in Toyota Mapping isn't that good on my 2019 Rav 4.

1 hour ago, smashedcucumber said:

I have to plug my Phone in via USB, and Yes I had to have it installed but for £50 it was well worth it I thought

I'm a little confused ... according to what you have said, you currently have "the version of Android Auto that runs on the infotainment screen", so why wouldn't you simply carry on using that?

You should be fine then. I think this change applies only to those ppl who use the on-phone android auto app screen when driving. 

Thanks for you hellp guys, @Philip42h Andriod Auto will only fire up when I plug my phone in, other wise its not there.

43 minutes ago, smashedcucumber said:

Thanks for you hellp guys, @Philip42h Andriod Auto will only fire up when I plug my phone in, other wise its not there.

... and that's exactly how it is designed to be / supposed to work. Android Auto requires the 'phone to be plugged in! 😉

I have experienced on a number of occasions when I’ve plugged my phone in and AA is not available in the Head Unit Menu. I’ve tried a number of solutions, switching the car off, disconnecting and rebooting the phone etc. But recently found a solution that works every time, leave the car in Ready mode, phone/cable connected, push in the volume dial on the Head Unit and the system will reboot and this time AA will be available as an option.

Not quite sure what the issue is when on the odd occasion it happens, my phone, new AA app update etc., but this does seem to be a winner.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links