Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mazda2 Hybrid v Yaris

Llynyfan

Heres a quick long story for you 😉.

My wife has a CHR Excel and as much as she loves it, it's a second car and the decision was made to downsize. Having popped into to see the new Aygo X it was quickly discounted. Over to the Yaris. Nothing locally in the 'nearly new' category, we made an appointment with our dealer as he had a couple of GR Sport hybrids coming in. Not the first choice spec but it does look nice in white.

We turned up at the agreed time for the salesman to say hes busy with a customer and it may be better to pop back later. We think it may have been better to have just walked in without an appointment. We didn't go back, because just down the road is the Mazda dealership. Welcomed by the excellent sales team there, we test drove their demo Mazda 2 hybrid (Yaris with a different badge), and we've ordered a Select model in black. There was no pressure from them, but as we wanted a Yaris it was an obvious choice.

The way Mazda are configuring their cars is interesting and one selling point for us was not having the light interior  and 17s if we went for the Y Excel. Our Mazda will have all the safety kit, HUD, 16s, Android Auto etc. Overall a great spec and we're very happy.

It will be sad to leave Toyota as we've had a few now and we've enjoyed them, but the choice of Mazda was easy and I wonder how many others may take the same route. We're still here for now as the delivery is estimated as September...we'll be keeping our fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Good job done , and you are right it’s just a rebadged Yaris. 👍 Enjoy your new car when arrives 🚙

• Like 2

An interesting read Sue. Thanks.

My wife had had 2 Yaris`, one Mark 1 and the other a Mark 3. Both extremely reliable and enjoyed.

She was unable to continue with the Mark 1 successor as Toyota changed the positioning of the "wing mirrors", thus preventing her from having good vision.

So instead of Yaris Mark2, we bought a Mazda 2 which had the mirror configuration of the Mark 1 Yaris. She has since had two further Mazda 2`s and has just got a Mazda 2  CX with which she is thrilled.

During the period of the Pandemic we were told of a Collaborative effort taking place between Toyota and Mazda whereby Toyata gave Hybrid Technology to Mazda and Mazda gave Engine Technology to Toyota.

We are now seeing the results of the collaborative effort and as you rightly say the Toyota Yaris Hybrid has been rebadged to sell it as a Mazda Hybrid. In fact all Yaris Hybrids are sold as Mazda`s in the States.

Do enjoy your new car which is bound to be a Sales hit regardless of which Badge it wears.

• Like 3

Keep us posted! I'd be especially interested to hear what your servicing and post-sale experience is with Mazda compared to Toyota!

• Like 3

The interesting thing is that, from what you say, Mazdas seem to not be as affected by delivery delays as Toyotas ?
I wonder why ?  Where are they built ?

• Like 2

The Yaris and now Mazda2 Hybrid for the UK market are built in Valenciennes, France. A Google search also shows how Mazda have streamlined their Japanese built cars to be delivered to UK. A new Port of Bristol store and preparation facility also seems to help.

In terms of after sales service, Toyota have been good although as you will know, not much else other than a handback usually as nothing else to do. I hope we'll get the same from Mazda, if the first experience counts, I'm sure it will.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Llynyfan said:

The Yaris and now Mazda2 Hybrid for the UK market are built in Valenciennes, France. A Google search also shows how Mazda have streamlined their Japanese built cars to be delivered to UK. A new Port of Bristol store and preparation facility also seems to help.

In terms of after sales service, Toyota have been good although as you will know, not much else other than a handback usually as nothing else to do. I hope we'll get the same from Mazda, if the first experience counts, I'm sure it will.

Mazda Chester are exceptionally good. It`s the people which make a business what it is.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, john p williams said:

Mazda Chester are exceptionally good. It`s the people which make a business what it is.

I totally agree.

• Like 3

The yaris comes in via Grimsby from Zeebrugge the Mazda is a similar spec to the euro cars from what i can see

The Monument bronze looks good

• Like 2

Looking at the Mazda 2 specs the main difference I found was that all the grades came with a Tyre repair kit  instead of a spare tyre.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, john p williams said:

In fact all Yaris Hybrids are sold as Mazda`s in the States.

In the US the Yaris IA (Yaris saloon) was a rebadged Mazda 2, the later Yaris hatch was also a rebadged Mazda 2.

The Yaris was withdrawn from the US market after the 2020 model year, leaving the Corolla as the smallest Toyota in the US.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Graham47 said:

The interesting thing is that, from what you say, Mazdas seem to not be as affected by delivery delays as Toyotas ?
I wonder why ?  Where are they built ?

Built by Toyota Europe - so France/Czech Republic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G L J said:

Looking at the Mazda 2 specs the main difference I found was that all the grades came with a Tyre repair kit  instead of a spare tyre.

I was on the Mazda 2 config tonight.Steel wheels,with wheel trims on the bottom spec!.No blue paint option. I think the blue on the Yaris/Cross looks great.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, john p williams said:

I had a Mazda3 for about 5 years.My local dealer SDM in Falkirk were top notch.They even won Mazda dealer of the year award last year.Family owned,with Toyota and Hyundai franchise as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liam57 said:

I had a Mazda3 for about 5 years.My local dealer SDM in Falkirk were top notch.They even won Mazda dealer of the year award last year.Family owned,with Toyota and Hyundai franchise as well.

My experience with SDM is very different.  Every single time one of our Mazdas went to them it came out with the TPMS light on, and that’s including the time when they were fitting four new wheels (at about 1.5 years old).  And the first drive out of the showroom brand new.

Also, when brand new our Mazda3 had a big bit of a sticky stuff on the dash.  Can you believe we were asked by the salesman if we had anything at home we could remove it with??  Also they smudged the security window etching.  And the low window washer warning light came on on the way home from the showroom.

The air con stopped working too at about a year old.  They topped up the gas then expected me to pay for it??   (That ended up with a new evaporator being fitted under warranty).

I could go on, but suffice to say I wouldn’t trust them to service a pram.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, alan333 said:

My experience with SDM is very different.  Every single time one of our Mazdas went to them it came out with the TPMS light on, and that’s including the time when they were fitting four new wheels (at about 1.5 years old).  And the first drive out of the showroom brand new.

Also, when brand new our Mazda3 had a big bit of a sticky stuff on the dash.  Can you believe we were asked by the salesman if we had anything at home we could remove it with??  Also they smudged the security window etching.  And the low window washer warning light came on on the way home from the showroom.

The air con stopped working too at about a year old.  They topped up the gas then expected me to pay for it??   (That ended up with a new evaporator being fitted under warranty).

I could go on, but suffice to say I wouldn’t trust them to service a pram.

Arnold Clark, was it ?

7 minutes ago, john p williams said:

Arnold Clark, was it ?

No mate, SDM as stated.  They're a Toyota main dealer in Falkirk, Scotland who were originally called Square Deal Motors.  In more recent times they also have franchises for Mazda and Hyundai.

I hope their Toyota one is better than their Mazda since I have my car booked with them for a service.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, alan333 said:

No mate, SDM as stated, they’re a Mazda dealer in Falkirk, Scotland.  They also have Toyota and Hyundai franchises.  I hope their Toyota one is better than their Mazda since I have my car booked with them for a service.

We bought a Mazda 2 there about ten years ago after being asked to leave the Toyota showroom at Cameron Toll, Edinburgh.

We had the audacity to ask the trade in price before going for a test drive.  The salesman couldn't deviate from the script he had been taught, lost the plot and asked us to leave.

It was his loss because an hour later, we had gone to SDM and bought a Mazda without any hassle.

Go SDM lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1