Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Check out my throttle body

jcps001

Hey, the time for my yearly maintenance is coming close, so I took a peek inside my throttle body to see if it needs cleaning.

Here's what I saw:

36577275_11Capturadeecrde2022-06-0417-23-45.thumb.jpg.9d685f42d43d77be1b0e78f90735eaa6.jpg

Looks OK to me. Seems to be clean...

The engine is turned off, it is a 2007 Auris 1.4 D4D.

So, any comments on this? Position OK, cleanliness OK?

You see something I don't?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

the body looks dirty and requires cleaning. 
Best to use a quality stuff, something like egr and throttle body cleaner spray and soft clean cloth. You can do it as is on the car or disconnect coolant hoses and remove body from the engine. When you clean it look near the body for maf/map sensor located on the intake manifold and clean that as well, petrol engines has this , for your diesel not sure therefore you will need to double check. Same spray fine, just spray into the reading bit and let it dry, do not touch. For the body you can either spray directly but make sure the dirt can escape outside intake manifold or spray onto the cloth and wipe clean. Here is what I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0056A1XGO?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_FNTEGYDQY9GVPPTW2HMS 👍

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

the body looks dirty and requires cleaning. 
Best to use a quality stuff, something like egr and throttle body cleaner spray and soft clean cloth. You can do it as is on the car or disconnect coolant hoses and remove body from the engine. When you clean it look near the body for maf/map sensor located on the intake manifold and clean that as well, petrol engines has this , for your diesel not sure therefore you will need to double check. Same spray fine, just spray into the reading bit and let it dry, do not touch. For the body you can either spray directly but make sure the dirt can escape outside intake manifold or spray onto the cloth and wipe clean. Here is what I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0056A1XGO?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_FNTEGYDQY9GVPPTW2HMS 👍

Thanks for the input Tony.

I have to ask, why do you say it is dirty? I thought it was clean...

You made no comment on the plate position, so I guess with the engine turned off, it means it is OK, right?

11 minutes ago, jcps001 said:

Thanks for the input Tony.

I have to ask, why do you say it is dirty? I thought it was clean...

You made no comment on the plate position, so I guess with the engine turned off, it means it is OK, right?

It’s a Diesel engine and I have no experience with Diesel engines maintenance, from petrol engine prospective it’s dirty.  This black carbon built up after the plate and on the plate itself. For the position I can not comment, on a petrol engine will be almost completely closed , here I can see a large opening position, perhaps this is normal. Better someone who has experience with diesels to make a comment and suggestions. 
Regards 👍

• Like 1

In the photo you show the butterfly is placed in the car; Do you have a symptom and do you think that the specific component is to blame? We have to look at the accessory from the other side as well If you can, upload more photos

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

It’s a Diesel engine and I have no experience with Diesel engines maintenance, from petrol engine prospective it’s dirty.  This black carbon built up after the plate and on the plate itself. For the position I can not comment, on a petrol engine will be almost completely closed , here I can see a large opening position, perhaps this is normal. Better someone who has experience with diesels to make a comment and suggestions. 
Regards 👍

Thanks again.

10 hours ago, xrhstosgr said:

In the photo you show the butterfly is placed in the car; Do you have a symptom and do you think that the specific component is to blame? We have to look at the accessory from the other side as well If you can, upload more photos

Well, I do feel the car is somewhat lazier accelerating on uphills and less mileage... It seems you've got a 1.4 D4D... Can you tell me anything about the plate position with the engine turned off. Is that OK?

I never understood what that butterfly valve was for; Diesels run wide-open throttle all the time, and control power by metering fuel injection - A very big difference to how Otto-cycle petrol works, which control power by restricting air intake (And is why they can use a carb, where a diesel can't).

IIRC from my old Mk1 Yaris D4D, that butterfly valve is in the assembly that the big turbo pipe and EGR all connect to so I guess it's something emissions related??.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 6:53 PM, Cyker said:

I never understood what that butterfly valve was for; Diesels run wide-open throttle all the time, and control power by metering fuel injection - A very big difference to how Otto-cycle petrol works, which control power by restricting air intake (And is why they can use a carb, where a diesel can't).

IIRC from my old Mk1 Yaris D4D, that butterfly valve is in the assembly that the big turbo pipe and EGR all connect to so I guess it's something emissions related??.

Yes its not really a throttle in the way a petrol engine would have, I gather that its purpose is to close partially when the EGR valve opens to force the engine to suck in more EGR gas and less fresh air than it would otherwise.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 5:57 PM, yossarian247 said:

Yes its not really a throttle in the way a petrol engine would have, I gather that its purpose is to close partially when the EGR valve opens to force the engine to suck in more EGR gas and less fresh air than it would otherwise.

I also read on the net that it also acts as a "anti-shudder valve". Without it, when turning the engine off, you would feel it, because it is a diesel engine.

So, after some more researching, I think I'm going to do this year:

-Hook it up to a computer check for errors and check if values are correct;

-Oil, oil filter, air filter change (of course);

-MAF sensor cleaning;

-Throttle body cleaning (remove it, clean it thoroughly);

-Replace fuel filter;

-Replace in-tank fuel filter.

-Clean, lubricate brake caliper guide pins.

Anything else you recommend doing to a 1.4 D4D Auris, 2007 with 200.000 kms?

Also, I would appreciate some help in finding the Toyota part number for the in-tank fuel filter, that I cannot find.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jcps001 said:

I also read on the net that it also acts as a "anti-shudder valve". Without it, when turning the engine off, you would feel it, because it is a diesel engine.

That was certainly true on Volkswagen PD diesels, and VW did refer to it as an 'anti-shudder valve' on those. I'm not sure though on common rail diesels whether it still performs that function. I previously ran a Peugeot 2.0 HDi with this flap disconnected for a while and it made no obvious difference to the running or engine shut-off as far as I could tell. 

• Like 1

The fuel filter in the tank does not change by itself. Simple to clean. It is integrated with the tank pump

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xrhstosgr said:

Το φίλτρο καυσίμου στο ρεζερβουάρ δεν αλλάζει από μόνο του. Απλό στο καθάρισμα. Είναι ενσωματωμένο με την αντλία του ρεζερβουάρ

It is a plastic sieve that has nothing to do with a filter

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xrhstosgr said:

The fuel filter in the tank does not change by itself. Simple to clean. It is integrated with the tank pump

Not sure if I understand... It can be removed and replaced or not?

12 hours ago, xrhstosgr said:

It is a plastic sieve that has nothing to do with a filter

So, you don't replace it, just clean it? But you can buy it...?

I've already seen videos on Youtube, where the in tank filters are replaced... I can't do the same?

You can probably replace it. However, as a code of this screen I have not seen it. You also need to untie the box inside this sieve and clean it. So I did in my own case. Send me the video if you have it

• Like 1