Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Injector return/backflow test?

Linkex

I've got a bit of an ongoing saga with my Verso 2.2 diesel, the short version is that I suspect I have a dodgy injector. After much googling, I saw a recommendation to conduct an injector return/backflow test (Not a thing I had come across before). More googling, I can't find any specifics for doing the test on the Verso, but the kits seem cheap enough, lets give it a go. Leads me to now - I have received the kit and have been attempting to figure out how its connected. All the 'guides' for these kits show the return port having a rubber return line which just pops out and one of the adaptors pops in, however the Verso has a hardline, bolted in with a Banjo bolt. The bolt appears to have a 'top' that can be removed with a hex key.

So my question is, can one of these kits test the Verso engine and if so, can anyone give me a basic rundown please? Do I need a different adaptor? Do the ports off the back of the injectors not do what I think they do?

Not sure what the rules on linking things are on this forum, but if you google "injector return test kit" you get variations of the same kit under various brands - its one of those I've got.

it's more commonly known as a "leak down test", i take it is an early Verso on a 58 plate - early 2009 if not it will be a Corolla Verso

verso 2.2 - 2ADFHV

Corolla Verso 2.2 - 2ADFTV

Do not touch the high pressure lines from the rail to the injector

the return line looks like this

https://lagabasen.com/bil/oem/23761-26010

usually the kit comes with a brass elbows with an o-ring you put these in the return bolt holes

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/13-01-01_faq_ad-engine_eng.htm

the common issue with the 2.2 is the 5th injector goes bad, either dumping fuel into the exhaust or no fuel is injected for a regen, scv is another issue, have you scanned the system for codes ? What are the symptoms ?

most of the tests can be done with a decent scan tool (injector feedback and discharge valve check)

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

it's more commonly known as a "leak down test", i take it is an early Verso on a 58 plate - early 2009 if not it will be a Corolla Verso

verso 2.2 - 2ADFHV

Corolla Verso 2.2 - 2ADFTV

Thanks for the reply. Its a 55 plate, so a Corolla Verso. I wasn't aware there was a distinction, that's probably not helped my google-fu, so cheers for the clarification.

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

usually the kit comes with a brass elbows with an o-ring you put these in the return bolt holes

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/13-01-01_faq_ad-engine_eng.htm

This is where I'm confused - I unbolted the return bolts and took that line off earlier today, but none of the brass elbows seem to fit in the bolt holes - either they sit in the hole loose, or I can't get them in at all. Good to know I'm in the right ball park, but the problem at this stage really is that I don't know if I don't have the appropriate adapter, or I'm just doing it wrong (Is there something further to remove under the line that I can't see, for example). Do these injectors need an adaptor that's not in the 'standard' kit? I'm happy to buy the right adapter, but I don't know how to identify what I need.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links