Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Integrated Dashcam

pip57

24 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Opening up the Dashcam topic, why do we even need a Dashcam? 

The car has perfectly suitable front and rear cameras as standard.  Why can these not be used?  They could also be replayed on the car screen. 

Comes up quite a lot when dashcams are mentioned Roy.  I don’t think the installed cameras are the right type and definition to provide adequate footage but no doubt they could be if needed and it may come but in the world of snowflakey wokeness, no doubt some drivers will object to being monitored and believe they are being watched etc.   Well it’s too late in many respects because the car has quite a sophisticated data recorder that can be downloaded by Toyota in the event of a problem or warranty to see how it’s been driven.   The data can also be requested by the police in the case of an accident or incident and Toyota admit in every handbook that they will hand it over.   Personally, I run the gauntlet of Hyde Road in Manchester quite frequently and I never go anywhere without one.  I normally have front and rear but this Yaris is temporary until the Cross comes then I’ll document the fitting of the pair.  

DD5A8825-2124-4DFF-BE50-AD093E5453B3.png

I think the reversing camera would work well, especially in a car park.  As for the front cam, at most only a small upgrade I suspect. 

Privacy?  If someone is really worried a bit of bodge tape front and rear 😁

Just reading a series of crime novels, first thing they do is a data trawl especially cell phone location, cell phone calls, and traffic cams.  The average person is traceable most of the time. 

• Like 1

Reverse cameras are low quality, they use composite video 480i NTSC iirc the screens are only 480x800

they are just not good enough

As for tracking, you are tracked from your date of conception for the rest of eternity, well at least 2-300 years

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly agree but there were large numbers of wokey snowflakes that thought the Covid jab would track them let alone some tangible hardware.

• Haha 1

Big fan of Nextbase Dash Cams but have always preferred cameras that have a screen showing the actual live views as you drive. I have a 512GW with rear camera but as the rear camera comes with a very long video cable  I worked out it was best to take the cable across the front screen, down the A pillar and then down to the front sill kick plate and then take the cable along the front and rear body sills and lifting the sill kick trims.  Then up and behind the D post trim and finally under the rear of the headlining.  It still was about 18 inches too long really but longer cars would need it.   The dealer fit Nextbase cameras rely on them working behind the scenes but front and rear live images as you drive are a constant reminder that they are working fine.  Also Nextbase have a great after sales and technical support service which I have used a few times incl one repair for a new Battery and they gave a very quick turn round.

• Thanks 1

With the advent of 4K recording and some pretty effective night vision sensors coming from the likes of Sony there is no way that the cameras already installed in the car would be suitable.  On the rear camera on my system you can not only clearly see the car registration but there is a great photo of who is in the driving seat and in many cases how many people are in the car.  Something I think the insurance company could find very useful with so many scams happening every day on UK roads.

Never understood why we have more cameras and radar controlled devices than you can shake a stick at these days and yet no emphasis has been placed by Manufacturers  to fit even a basic front and rear dash cam system to assist drivers and help Insurers establish liability in the event of road collisions.   I'm sure even as an option it would be welcomed.   Equally the rear view reversing camera is already fitted so adding a front camera with both having a recording function is hardly likely to make Toyota scratch their heads.    

They do? Front and Rear is a £350 dealer-fit option for all new Toyotas 

I prefer my Viofo's tho'; Currently waiting for them to make a camera with the new Sony Starvis 2 sensor so I can use WDR without that 2-frame blur that makes plates unreadable!

Flash says the reversing camera is of low quality but really that is irrelevant. 

The point was not so much as using the existing cameras for video recording as using the front and rear cameras for more than one role. 

Retail dash cams are relatively cheap. As an OEM fitment they would be less than half the cost.  In other words it would save the customer money and have a minimal impact on the price. 

It will happen.  Many things we expect today were extras not that long ago: radios have not been standard for that long.  Only recently did BMW  enable Satnav across the range. 

I agree with everything @sh22 has said. Nextbase have brilliant after sales service. I too use a Nextabse in all our vehicles (412GW). I was involved in an accident where the insurance company said it was a 50/50 claim. Sent in the Dashcam footage which proved I wasn't at fault and was hit by the other driver. That instance alone covered the cost of the cameras (the cost of my excess which I never had to pay).

I also like to see the screen, so I can adjust the angle of the camera, and confirm it is recording.

I have to say, the improvement in Nextbase's customer service has been nothing short of amazing - In their early days they had a horrible reputation, esp. regarding failed batteries in dashcams which were getting cooked to death in summer well within warranty.

So many people are singing their praises here now that it seems they've really turned that attitude around!!

I just transferred my Nextbase front and rear Dashcam from my CHR to my new Yaris cross. Took me 20 mins to re-install. I do drive high miles and would not be without it. Support from Nextbase has been fantastic so far. Always prefer the visible screen so I know its working and in the correct position. Keeps the passenger entertained too 🙂.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We asked for dealer fitted optional extra front and rear Dashcam which should have been fitted in the front and rear screen of our Yaris cross delivered at the beginning of March. The salesperson when we collected the car said there had been a problem with the rear dash cam draining the Battery, so as an interim measure they had fitted a single front unit with integral rear facing camera, great if you want see what’s going on in the back seat. We took the car as we had waited 6 months for it to be delivered but despite a number of chasing emails and the promise it was being sorted we are still waiting. Anyone else heard of this problem?

If it was the dealer fit Nextbase its only powered when the front is active. I have one and had no problems.

If its wired correctly (to a switched 12v feed) then technically its impossible. Maybe he was referring to the camera backup Battery which is used in parking mode.

• 4 months later...
On 6/2/2022 at 10:38 AM, Guest said:

Don't let plod see you doing that!:ph34r:

You could always just look out of the windows 😎

Well if you go back in time a car radio was a option go further back and the car heater was in the options list.

I'm giving my age away now, but I remeber when the passenger side mirror was sold as an optional extra

• Like 1

The Nextbase 380gw doesn't have a Battery when fitted it because it's a option extra which Toyota don't even know about as we had our car fitted with it & found out later we had our front end stripped by thiefs. 

The Battery is £20 from Nextbase.

Georgey,

The dealer fitted package that was installed for me did include the Battery. Although it was not mentioned in the accessories write up.  Might be a dealer thing - some do not know what the Battery is for ????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedToyota said:

Georgey,

The dealer fitted package that was installed for me did include the battery. Although it was not mentioned in the accessories write up.  Might be a dealer thing - some do not know what the battery is for ????

Are you sure as I have checked my box & manual.

There's no sign of Battery or mention of a Battery.

Just check the website & you can see you need to buy 1 separate.

Please check again. 

Screenshot_2022-12-02-12-49-50-99_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

37 minutes ago, Georgey Porgey said:

Are you sure as I have checked my box & manual.

There's no sign of battery or mention of a battery.

Just check the website & you can see you need to buy 1 separate.

Please check again. 

Screenshot_2022-12-02-12-49-50-99_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Both my Toyota fitted ones came as a kit that included the optional hardwire, the Battery backup and a Nextbase branded SD card.  The current correct Toyota part number is this kit.

5 hours ago, Kental said:

Both my Toyota fitted ones came as a kit that included the optional hardwire, the battery backup and a Nextbase branded SD card.  The current correct Toyota part number is this kit.

Yes Kendal, mine was also Toyota dealer supplied and fitted. 

As Georgey says, if you direct from Next Base you would need to add the Battery to the order

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links