Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Display Light

Bobi11

I recently had my 2010 Toyota Auris 1.4 D4D detailed by a proffesional. But now when the lights are off the Display is very bright, but when i turn on the lights (headlamps) the brightness on the display drops very low. When i got my car back the date and time were reset which means they must have unplugged and plugged back the Battery. I have also attached 2 pictures for you to understand what I mean. What causes this? Is this an option in the toyota for the brightness to go down or is there something wrong with the Battery and I need to check it ? Thank you for your time

image.jpg

image.jpg

The dash lights will be dimmable but only when the lights are on, it seems yours has been set too dim for you.  You need to find that setting and change it to how you like it.  Im not familiar with your particular car but I’m sure the owners book will tell you how.  Hope this helps 🙂

As Alan suggests, look in your driver's handbook. Whether it's the same as a 2010 D4D Yaris I owned, no idea?

On that, can't fully remember, lights on and display brightness was adjustable using one of the pushes protruding throught the display cover. i.e. clock adjust, trip adjust?

I'm the opposite in preferring the dimmest level!

Are there two instrument brightness settings? One for lights off and one for lights on? Mine does. I can set them independently. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DaddyBaddy said:

Are there two instrument brightness settings? One for lights off and one for lights on? Mine does. I can set them independently. 

That’s interesting, I think Auris mk1 might have been the same as yours. Once set up with lights off as you like and then repeat with lights on as you like. Thanks for the tip 👍👌

• Like 1

The first generation Auris (2007-2012) is different to the second generation (2012-2018).

With the headlight switch turned on, press the button to the right hand of the instrument cluster until you see a graphic showing an illuminated bulb and one or more bars. Pressing and holding the button will scroll through a series of bars (1-5 increasing in height) - release when the desired brightness is achieved. The higher the bar the brighter the instrument illumination).

• Like 2

Yeah it's really clunky how to set the brightness on a lot of Toyotas from that era! Thankfully you usually only have to do it once!

It should default to max bright with the side/headlights off and minimum with them on, but that might vary between different cars; Was the case with my Mk1 and Mk2...

I haven't tried on the Mk4 yet because it automatically adjusts, and so far the auto-adjustment has worked better than I expected - I was skeptical at first as my only other experience with auto-brightness adjustment has been with my laptop and tablets and I disabled both of those very quickly due to how useless they were :laugh: (Why would you *increase* the brightness in a dark environment?! That makes no sense!! A recipe for horrible eye strain and fatigue that is...)

• Like 1

Topics merged.

• Thanks 1

Just to mention how much it sucks to have it set to top brightness with headlight on, because DRL are a must.

Only to change it back at night, because it's bright as the damn sun, and bothers you while driving in the dark.

I wish there was just a scroll wheel on the side, so you can adjust to your prefference. 

Here you have, 1-4 are dim,  and 5 being crazy bright, no in between. 

I think this is what bothers me most on the car. Luckily i don't drive at night that much.

• Like 2

My one is auto and works very well, never bother to make any changes. The car is top spec hybrid with automatic headlights, if that makes any difference. 👌

• Like 1

9 hours ago, furtula said:

Here you have, 1-4 are dim,  and 5 being crazy bright ... 

5 for daytime and 3 for the night, imho. DRL is must have, indeed.