Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Oil Burn Cure?

petroleum

Just curious to know when these Avensis 1.8 and 2.0 ltr petrol engines were recalled by Toyota to cure  excessive oil consumption can the right piston kit still be bought and how much? from the dealers and or is there a cheaper alternative source out there and exactly which set to look for as i notice there are many to choose from!? thanks

• Like 1

From what I know/remember, it was the short block was exchanged by Toyota, with some internal updates. Also the engine affected were the ZZ series 1.8 1ZZ and the 1.6 3ZZ. The 2.0 litre AZ engine was not generally known as an oil burner. That engine was a different design. Since the last 1.8 1ZZ engine Avensis was made back in 2008, it will be be hard to locate parts these days and the cost for parts for such an old car, needs to be low to make it worth while. Remember the updates to the engine happened 2005. Looking for a low mileage late engine from a trusted source, will be a long search. 
Hopefully somebody who has rebuilt their engine replies to your query. 

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for that. Its just that when you come accross a very low mileage 1.8 or even a 2 ltr engine pre 2005 although you think they might not have been effected it still makes me think dont buy any unless they are at least 2007. 8 models to be safe as even the diesels were effected. Are the automatics proper torque converter types like the old Carina E?

On 6/6/2022 at 1:04 PM, petroleum said:

Hi, thanks for that. Its just that when you come accross a very low mileage 1.8 or even a 2 ltr engine pre 2005 although you think they might not have been effected it still makes me think dont buy any unless they are at least 2007. 8 models to be safe as even the diesels were effected. Are the automatics proper torque converter types like the old Carina E?

Yes all T25 Avensis automatics until end of production are torque convertor type. CVT was introduce to petrol T27 Avensis.