Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door Mirrors

Wooster

I've had my 2018 Auris for a year and I've had a couple of near misses - not seeing an overtaking car - although I'd checked the mirrors. I've a stiff neck so have difficulty turning my head enough to check the 'blind spot'.  Toyota (through eBay) sell a convex, heated mirror - details here:  eBay.co.uk/itm/324461178642  But it seems diabolically expensive.  Does anyone have experience of these mirrors - or can anyone suggest an alternative?  I've driven cars with  stick on mirrors   but found them too small and they (obviously) reduce the amount of 'normal' mirror that's available.  Any suggestions?

You can get blind spot mirrors that attach to the top of the mirror housing - search Amazon for 'clip on blind spot mirror'.

Eg

61fVA90XpkL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Or the small circular ones which you stick onto your existing mirror glass.

3 hours ago, Wooster said:

I wondered is anyone had experience of replacement mirrors - convex, heated and not made by Toyota?  Details here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333579266636?hash=item4daadfaa4c:g:ECkAAOSwsINiIDNK

Hi Andrew, 

I am surprised your car doesn’t have convex mirrors. Even if it does not have auto folding mirrors they should still be convex and provide a good area of side view. When watching your mirrors glass do they look oem or replacement ones? Can you take pictures of both side mirrors to see and try to establish if they are genuine or replacement? 
Imo and experience nothing comes close to original glass on mirrors on any car. Even the best aftermarket’s are not as good as oem. 👍

Well, maybe it does have convex mirrors.  I put a 6" steel rule up against the mirror and the glass just curved away ever so slightly from the straight edge.  I looked more closely and still couldn't see any distortion caused by any curvature.  Then I stopped the car with a good view (in the mirror) of a pair of yellow 'No Waiting' lines painted down the road edge.  By moving my head around I could (just, perhaps) see a distortion in the lines towards the outside edge of the mirror.  If this is the correct mirror, the amount of convex-ness is absolutely minimal.  I've taken a photo of the o/s mirror.  It looks genuine to me!

From the Toyota Europe website I obtained the 'Techdoc Vehicle Summary' for my car's VIN. I've taken a screen shot of the relevant page.  (See attached. I've marked the bit about external mirrors with 'HERE'.)  It says "Colour pwr heat".  I guess it means it has a coloured outer cover, powered (as in adjustable by a switch from inside the car) and heated (when they get covered in frost).  It doesn't mention it being convex.  But, perhaps it's not an option - all Auris cars get a convex mirror?

So, back to where I started really!  It might be convex, but it's such a minor curvature it's virtually impossible to see it. 

Previous (none Toyota) cars that have had a convex mirror, have had a vertical line about a quarter of the way in from the outside edge with a marked curvature from that point.  If Toyota's convex mirrors don't have this vertical line, but are more subtle, it's totally lost on me!

P10102580001.JPG

Auris Spec.pdf

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Wooster said:

Well, maybe it does have convex mirrors.  I put a 6" steel rule up against the mirror and the glass just curved away ever so slightly from the straight edge.  I looked more closely and still couldn't see any distortion caused by any curvature.  Then I stopped the car with a good view (in the mirror) of a pair of yellow 'No Waiting' lines painted down the road edge.  By moving my head around I could (just, perhaps) see a distortion in the lines towards the outside edge of the mirror.  If this is the correct mirror, the amount of convex-ness is absolutely minimal.  I've taken a photo of the o/s mirror.  It looks genuine to me!

From the Toyota Europe website I obtained the 'Techdoc Vehicle Summary' for my car's VIN. I've taken a screen shot of the relevant page.  (See attached. I've marked the bit about external mirrors with 'HERE'.)  It says "Colour pwr heat".  I guess it means it has a coloured outer cover, powered (as in adjustable by a switch from inside the car) and heated (when they get covered in frost).  It doesn't mention it being convex.  But, perhaps it's not an option - all Auris cars get a convex mirror?

So, back to where I started really!  It might be convex, but it's such a minor curvature it's virtually impossible to see it. 

Previous (none Toyota) cars that have had a convex mirror, have had a vertical line about a quarter of the way in from the outside edge with a marked curvature from that point.  If Toyota's convex mirrors don't have this vertical line, but are more subtle, it's totally lost on me!

P10102580001.JPG

Auris Spec.pdf 149.47 kB · 1 download

Yes, looks original. My Auris has the line in question. I never noticed anything unusual and I always look at that mirror a lot ( motorway driver). Perhaps the only solution to your issue can be adding an extra mirror on top or inside corner. You can try from Amazon and if not happy can return to them. 
Here is the mirror glass https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota&mdf_id=12232&area=EU&cat=166520&blk_id=8701

87931-02F10