Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking sensors

Lenny p

Do Toyota dealerships retro fit OEM parking sensors and what costs are involved. I drive a Yaris launch edition.

From experience with our 2018, Yes.

Toyota UK supply the kits in the right colour.

We only got the rear set (wish we had front too now) fitted with a discount as part of our purchase of the used car about a year ago. I think the list price was around £400, but we paid 3-ish I think.

I was doubtful when I found there were only 2 sensors, and the salesman actually got the parts guy to come out with the info to show me it was the genuine and only Toyota kit for that car. In practice it does work well. I guess it's fairly sophisticated.

5 hours ago, Lenny p said:

Do Toyota dealerships retro fit OEM parking sensors and what costs are involved. I drive a Yaris launch edition.

Not for the latest Yaris they are a factory only option

• Like 1

That's been a point of contention as some dealers are offering to fit sensors, but these are cheap 'dumb' sensors that just beep and aren't integrated into the car like the factory ones are.

It turns out you can just buy the OEM sensor parts from the parts desk and fit them yourself post-sale - Someone did this in another thread -  but the parts are very expensive, and although the ECU detects them automatically when they're connected I think you do need access to TechStream to initially calibrate them?

There are plenty of salvage cars about, so getting hold of parts should be easier now

• Like 1

It's a tricky one - If this was like the USA where you can just rock up to a salvage yard and pull the sensors out yourself that'd be fine, but the quality of salvage yards varies quite wildly and if it's anything like it is here, it's usually the worst ones that survive, and I'd be skeptical of their ability to remove delicate electronics like that without damaging them...

That's why you need to find a decent yard you can visit or else you are paying the eBay tax

• Like 1

I think Windley's near Coningsby is not too bad. I don't have contact details but you should be able to find them. 

I see the OP is from Lincolnshire. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 1:31 PM, Lenny p said:

Hi Lenny, they cannot fit OEM Parking Sensors (Clerence sonar) but they might know someone who can  fit regular sensors, My dealership got a 3rd party to install called "AK Alarms" in Northampton. they came to the dealer in a van and did it all there.

They work good and have a button to turn them off and on. I had front ones put in and the guy put them where they place the OEM ones and also matched the paint.

IMG_20220617_085252.jpg

IMG_20220617_085231.jpg

• Like 2