Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Slipping Clutch ??

Exvec

Whist driving back from my week long break in Sunny Devon on the A30,which has a lot of inclines and declines if your familiar with this road.Anyway  with the car in 5 th gear, it  seemed to be struggling a little going up some of the steeper longer inclines,so i would go into 4 th gear on the climb changing back to 5th after picking up speed,the problem i was getting was after changing back to 5th the car momentarily was revving a lot higher but not picking up speed as quick as it used to.

So question is ....Is my clutch on its way out

Car Is a 2006 2.0D4D with 91,000miles covered,

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Exvec said:

Whist driving back from my week long break in Sunny Devon on the A30,which has a lot of inclines and declines if your familiar with this road.Anyway  with the car in 5 th gear, it  seemed to be struggling a little going up some of the steeper longer inclines,so i would go into 4 th gear on the climb changing back to 5th after picking up speed,the problem i was getting was after changing back to 5th the car momentarily was revving a lot higher but not picking up speed as quick as it used to.

whats the gearbox like for oil 

19 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

whats the gearbox like for oil 

It should be ok although i assume that it is the original oil filled at the point of manufacture,i have had the car for nearly 10 years

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Exvec said:

To test for a worn clutch - select a high gear (4th maybe?) with the car stopped and the handbrake on.  Attempt to move off using quite high revs as necessary, if you can let the clutch all the way out, or nearly all the way out, then the clutch is on it’s way out.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, alan333 said:

To test for a worn clutch - select a high gear (4th maybe?) with the car stopped and the handbrake on.  Attempt to move off using quite high revs as necessary, if you can let the clutch all the way out, or nearly all the way out, then the clutch is on it’s way out.

Could it be that the slave cylinder on the clutch needs bleeding.

9 minutes ago, Exvec said:

Could it be that the slave cylinder on the clutch needs bleeding.

Wouldn’t that give you the opposite symptoms?

If there was air in the system it would compress the air rather than push the fluid through, thus the clutch would fail to disengage properly?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alan333 said:

Wouldn’t that give you the opposite symptoms?

If there was air in the system it would compress the air rather than push the fluid through, thus the clutch would fail to disengage properly?

I agree with Alan, plus Michael (Exvec) has described the beginnings of a worn clutch or weak pressure plate. 

Can I assume the car has the earlier 1CD engine with 5 gears, not the later 6 speed AD variants, since there was no mention of 6th gear?

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

I agree with Alan, plus Michael (Exvec) has described the beginnings of a worn clutch or weak pressure plate. 

Can I assume the car has the earlier 1CD engine with 5 gears, not the later 6 speed AD variants, since there was no mention of 6th gear?

Hi Konrad,Yes the Engine is the 1CDFTV with 5 gears.

Thanks for reply.

• Like 1