Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MOT time for the tsport

Rhymes with Paris

Well, I am pleased to say that this 19 years old Yaris has passed again.

The tester was very helpful and informative.

Just surface rust again on some underside components, the same surface rust that I paid good money last November to have wire brushed and waxoyled.

A simple enough job for a long established garage with "fully qualified motor technicians" one might think.

But no, the incompetent charlatans had brushed a thin coat of black paint on the inner cills without any prep from the look of it, which they claimed was underseal.

Even if it was underseal , still wrong as all this does if applied  on surface rust is seal the rust in and make it worse, which is very different from my request to wire brush and waxoyl.

Indeed it's showing through the black paint already.

The good news is that all it needs is doing properly now before it becomes more than just surface rust.

Of course, the problem now is finding someone to do this simple job which I would do myself if I could .

I think the best plan might be to see if I can hire a ramp for a couple of hours and employ a reasonably intelligent chimp to do it , they certainly could not do a worse job of it.

So yet again the old tricks of the motor trade are alive and well, charging top money for work not done ,and the bit that was done , done wrong.

• Like 5

It can be hard to find a good garage. I found a small independent local garage, which I've used for a number of years now. I have recommended family and friends to them and they have all found the garage to be good. I haven't had the need to go there myself since I bought my C-HR as I now use the main Toyota dealer. My son still uses them though for his Ford, and won't go anywhere else.

• Like 3

Thanks for your reply Big D,yes this was a small independent local garage, which has been on the go for a long time.

I had not used them before, but thought I would give them a try, when I went to have a look, all the signs were good.

An older guy , organised looking workshop, even an old classic car being worked on in there.

I should maybe have found a good garage round here by now, after all I have been running cars for 50 odd years now.

I did know a couple of them years ago, but things have changed a lot in this city,a lot of the old back street garages have now been demolished for redevelopment, and the owners retired or unfortunately died.

Every single garage or dealer that I have used in the past 20 years have been incompetent at best, and outright dishonest at worst, including a lexus main dealer (not worried about libel here as I have documented proof)

How about the dealer who sold me my Honda CRV , not Honda dealer though it was a Seat dealer selling different makes too, wanted to service it a year later.

The "service department"detailed which works they would do for the best part of £300, including replacement of spark plugs.

Which was strange as it was a 2.2 idect diesel.

Sorry for the rant , but I despair of finding an honest dealer or garage that has the slightest idea what they are talking about.

The owners of much newer and more valuable Toyota's on here seem to have had much the same experience from what I see.

The saddest part is that I am happy to pay the going rate to have any work done on my excellent little Toyota to keep it running right , and to save the surface rust turning into structural rust and destroying it.

😥

• Like 1

Is it worth going back to them and being like, "Oi, what's up with this underseal job you were supposed to do for me?"

• Like 1

I really knew our guy was an honest trader when I was away on a business trip and my wife took her car in with an engine code showing. He read the code, diagnosed the fault, and when she asked how much she owed he said not to worry it was no charge. At this point I had only used the guy once and it was for a different vehicle. To cut a long story short, when I got back from my trip, the car went to him to have the repair work done, although once he had diagnosed the fault, we could have done the work ourselves, or taken it to another garage. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Is it worth going back to them and being like, "Oi, what's up with this underseal job you were supposed to do for me?"

Thank you for the suggestion Cyker .

I might just do that even though underseal is not what I got or asked for, just to put a dishonest business on the spot and make them uncomfortable.

I am certainly not shy of confronting shysters like these , and by the same token would like to think I am quick in praising good honest businesses and recommending them.

The likelihood is though that they would invoke the big River in Egypt.

They craftily omitted the brush and waxoyl work from the invoice, although were careful to include the engine flush with the oil change, that I did not want or ask for.(50k miles car)

So really, even if they admitted doing the work,or even doing it partially and badly , and agreed to put it right, even then I would not trust them to do further work.

As part of my work before retiring I used to draw up contracts in the construction industry, I can imagine how well enforceable contracts would go down with the legalised fraud that masquerades as the car dealer and garage repair and service businesses.

I can pretty much guarantee that if I drew up a contract that was in any way fair to me, I would be the only one signing it

Btw ,how are you ? 😄

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Big_D said:

I really knew our guy was an honest trader when I was away on a business trip and my wife took her car in with an engine code showing. He read the code, diagnosed the fault, and when she asked how much she owed he said not to worry it was no charge. At this point I had only used the guy once and it was for a different vehicle. To cut a long story short, when I got back from my trip, the car went to him to have the repair work done, although once he had diagnosed the fault, we could have done the work ourselves, or taken it to another garage. 

Yes, Big D honesty is the biggy, it indicates a proper attitude to business and work.

Of course, I understand that some are not outright lying when they come out with things that are obviously untrue, they believe what they are saying which is not correct.

I think I will see if the guy who fixed a slipping belt on my old lexus ,burnt his hand doing so and did not charge is still in business.

Its such a shame that this kind of attitude still prevails. I'm sorry you've had to go through this Paul. It just seems to be a trait the auto trade - lack of attention to detail, pride in their work and honesty/integrity in what's being done.

I had a mechanic try and give me the BS about leaky shocks on my wife's car some years back and that 'he could get me some good ones with a trade discount for £180 for two'. Er, no thanks I'll get them myself and fit them for less than half of that. What's wrong with them, I asked? Oh they're leaking. Where exactly? Umm, well there's oil over the shock absorber. Hmm strange, i cant see any, just lots of dry road dust and debris on the shocks...

Like you say, if you can find someone with a four poster and a dust mask, he could certainly make a good job of it quite easily. Proper prep, cleanup, prime and seal.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

Its such a shame that this kind of attitude still prevails. I'm sorry you've had to go through this Paul. It just seems to be a trait the auto trade - lack of attention to detail, pride in their work and honesty/integrity in what's being done.

I had a mechanic try and give me the BS about leaky shocks on my wife's car some years back and that 'he could get me some good ones with a trade discount for £180 for two'. Er, no thanks I'll get them myself and fit them for less than half of that. What's wrong with them, I asked? Oh they're leaking. Where exactly? Umm, well there's oil over the shock absorber. Hmm strange, i cant see any, just lots of dry road dust and debris on the shocks...

Like you say, if you can find someone with a four poster and a dust mask, he could certainly make a good job of it quite easily. Proper prep, cleanup, prime and seal.

Ah well Hasan, it's not too bad in the bigger scheme of things.

Thank you for your empathy though.

It's just so frustrating when I know it's such a simple job to do and I can't do it myself,or even having paid someone to do it and still not done.

I will find a way 🤔

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 9:37 PM, corradovr6 said:

I had a mechanic try and give me the BS about leaky shocks

Many years ago, I took an Austin Maestro (yes, that long ago:laugh:) to have a new rear silencer and exhaust section replaced. Called out to view one of the front dampers which was "leaking" and advised to have both replaced.

When it was pointed out that the previous day's MOT had only mentioned the exhaust, it became a mistake. They had sprayed WD40 or similar there to look like it was leaking!

I did read in the local rag, not long after, that the same place had fitted a new exhaust to an Audi and it didn't initially fit properly. They "modified" the underside to accomodate it! i.e. a bit of bodywork cutting and bending.

Of course, I wouldn't be so bold as to identify them.:ph34r:

Ah sounds like a large chain with a lot of blue it the logo

re. under coating Bilt hamber do some great products if you want a drive in service there are companies like Krown iirc based in Dudley Tipton

• Thanks 1

The Spalding one looks pretty thorough flash, and not a bad run for me thank you.

I used to drive there everyday for work at one point.

It looks like around £400 for the full works job, it is probably worth spending this amount to save this otherwise excellent condition low mileage car.

Re mrpj1 s post, I think the large chain flash mentions used to have a TV ad jingle along the lines of "you can't get thicker than a **** *** fitter"

I also remember the maestro, the diesel was advertised as 100 mph and 100 mpg, I suspect not at the same time though.😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

Looks like my earlier suspicions re the component quality/fit and build of the latest Yaris, in favour of bling and toys, are being confirmed.:whistling1:

Eight years now and tight as a drum.

Hmmm, I think what is against it is the newness.  They won’t spend much money on complaints before they get a grip of it in production but I’ve got a friend with a series 3 and just about everything in terms of ride, handling, performance and economy is night and day better with this 4.  I’ll forgive it the rattles to be honest.   I like this better than the 2020 Lexus Takumi in many ways.  Mechanically, it’s a gem.  

3 hours ago, Gerryof said:

I have a Yaris cross and I noticed a rattle noise and traced it to the camera at the top of the windscreen. It was the plastic housing around it and I just lightly wedged a tiny piece of folded paper and no rattle anymore. Hopefully this might help some people out

I’ll keep that in mind for when it comes.  Again, I’ll forgive some “new model gremlins” if they’re only rattles 👍

The old engine flush and even brake fluid change is a certain money spinner for them as invariably never done but charged for and difficult to prove that it has not been done.

The thing is most customers don't know much about the mechanics of their vehicles and also a bit gullible, so a sitting duck to be ripped off, and it is now the done thing to pull the wool over their eyes.

Ps in my over 50 years of motoring I could relate many instances, unfortunately too many to list here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

The old engine flush and even brake fluid change is a certain money spinner for them as invariably never done but charged for and difficult to prove that it has not been done.

The thing is most customers don't know much about the mechanics of their vehicles and also a bit gullible, so a sitting duck to be ripped off, and it is now the done thing to pull the wool over their eyes.

Ps in my over 50 years of motoring I could relate many instances, unfortunately too many to list here.

Yes Iain,all so very true.

I think there are quite a few of us here with many experiences that would make a book.

In some ways the posts here do make a book, and sadly it is a book of mainly being treated badly by dealers and garages.

Although,in balance there are some who have been looked after in an honest way, with a good job done at a fair price.

Including me on very rare occasions.

Indeed, it would be good if proper reviews with name and shame of the bad ones and praise of the good could be done, but it is all subjective of course with he said she said scenarios.

And legal implications of hearsay, which of course is inadmissible in court if a business wanted to contest allegations of dishonest practice.

In the case of my engine flush, it certainly was not asked for or wanted, just the claim and charge for allegedly being done on the invoice after the oil and filter change and auxiliary belts and rust treatment, which was asked for.

As I said in an earlier post contracts can provide honesty where none is intended, but no dishonest business or person would be willing to be bound by one.

• Like 1

Agree Paul, the thing is it's not just dealers and mechanics, it seems to be that cowboys are in all trades, willing to take your money and not give you a proper job.

Unfortunate but I think a sign of the times 😟

32 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Agree Paul, the thing is it's not just dealers and mechanics, it seems to be that cowboys are in all trades, willing to take your money and not give you a proper job.

You mentioned cowboys  🤠 Iain,an old joke in the building trade is that one morning a bricklaying gang turned up for work all  wearing American Indian headdress, when asked why, they said that they had heard all the cowboys are being sacked tomorrow.

( No offence intended to any American Indians or indeed genuine cowboys on here)

Off topic a bit,I started off as a bricklayer and was part of the auf weidersehen pet exodus to Germany in the late 1970s early 80s to find reasonably well paid work.

The German firms quickly became suspicious of the British workers who claimed to be tradesmen, hardly surprising when hundreds of them did not know one end of a brick trowel from the other, and had never heard of a city and guilds ordinary craft certificate, let alone an advanced craft certificate.

Not connected with motor trade I know, but the thread of dishonesty runs through the greedy and lazy like the lettering in Blackpool rock.

I can tell if most people are talking nonsense, especially building trade, but am a bit lost when it comes to modern motor trade qualifications and ability .

I suppose personal recommendation from trusted friends is the way to go, but my trusted friends have been ripped off too, so it's a bit tricky.

🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

lirve8mrlqd11.jpg

• Haha 4

I normally use autosol and a metal brush, under the yaris. Still got a mot warning about rust. Then I tried pink spray cleaner on the main beam, that seemed to have removed a lot of rubbish.  It was more out of frustration, so surprised it worked. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 12:22 PM, flash22 said:

I have just got round to giving these folks a ring, and they sound like they know what they are doing.

The quote was £495 +vat ,so £600 ish for the full treatment.

I really am going to have to give this some serious thought,on the one hand the car is well worth saving, and I don't think I would find as good a car for reasonable money now.

On the other, this is a lot of money to me and I will have a year before next MOT, so the main benefit would be for the next owner if and when I have to sell, from a purely financial viewpoint.

Also I really do not like wasting things, so I would feel better ,not just use and throw away.

So the question here really is, would having this treatment be worth it, to a) not waste a good 19 years old car,and b) reflect in the car's value if I do ever have to sell.

All opinions welcome 🙂

• Like 1

If you can keep it in good nick, I think it will hold its value at the very least as we approach the 2030 ICE apocalypse; The T-Sport has been gaining in popularity lately and I think a tidy well-looked after one would be worth a decent bit of money if you can keep it in good condition for long enough!

• Like 1

Good thinking Cyker,if I was a bit younger I would not hesitate for a second, and have it done and put some miles on it.

It looks like that there is likely no money downside to this in any case.

Agreed. Prices for the t sport seem to be going up even for less cared-for ones. The nice thing about these cars is they generally dont cost too much to repair if there are any issues, unlike German cars. 

I'm working my way through our car and basically refurbing anything that needs doing, just a section at a time. At least that way i know its been done to my standards - whether that's good or not i dont know! Bodywork however is something i will get done ( eg correcting a wing colour mismatch)

• Like 1

Hello Hasan, it sounds as though you are doing it right.

I suppose there comes a point at which the tipping point between throwing money at an old car, and preserving a potential classic becomes apparent.

This is my daily driver though and do rely on it, and I think it will outlast my driving days

Reading on here about the problems of new and nearly new cars costing 10s of £000s and comparing it with the 🤞 reliability of old Toyotas , I am tending to think stick with what I have.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links