Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 Hybrid Ev

David Rennie

Just got my new leased Rav 4 hybrid Design delivered today and had a little 10 mile run on the motorway and i am wondering how many miles you should get when in EV mode ? The EV light came on and was back off again within a minute ! I realise at motorway speeds the range will be less but i couldn't have  done more than a coupke of miles in EV mode. Also do Toyota do a 3year service plan and if so what is the cost ?

Thanks

The pure EV range of a RAV4 hybrid is measured in yards rather than miles. Bear in mind that the only way to charge the Battery is by running the engine - either directly or indirectly through regenerative braking. (The plugin hybrid is different, of course).

The EV light will come on (and the engine switch off) each time you lift off the accelerator or 'roll' down hill, The hybrid system aims to optimise the use of fuel and the available Battery charge to provide decent economy.

See also:

You can get a quote for a service plan from a local dealer - i.e. the place where you expect to have the car serviced. The cost of the plan is the same as the cost of the individual services covered by the plan but you pay monthly (in advance) and at today's prices (so inflation proofed).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have the MyT app have a look at your journey history, you'll be surprised how much of a journey, especially around town, is in EV mode. Mine is 31% over 2k miles, including some liner trips where there isn't much opportunity to go fast in EV mode, but for example on a 10 mile trip across country and around town it was in EV mode 74% of the time. I just leave it to get on with it, Toyota have been doing hybrids for a long time and (hopefully) know what they're doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinB said:

If you have the MyT app have a look at your journey history, you'll be surprised how much of a journey, especially around town, is in EV mode. Mine is 31% over 2k miles, including some liner trips where there isn't much opportunity to go fast in EV mode, but for example on a 10 mile trip across country and around town it was in EV mode 74% of the time. I just leave it to get on with it, Toyota have been doing hybrids for a long time and (hopefully) know what they're doing.

To totally agree, even though mine is a PHEV I’m amazed at often the trip map shows the car is running in EV mode even when the traction Battery is ‘depleted’. This does not often show on the cars internal display as it sometimes is just for a few seconds but the cumulative impact is impressive.

• Like 1

Use manual ev mode if you just want to set the nav, or roll up the windows, or nudge the car a few feet.

Otherwise just let the hybrid system do its thing.

If you set menu, info to show the power routing, you'll see power changing between the different states of charging, using,  engine only, ev only, round and round constantly as the computer decides what's best needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Use manual ev mode if you just want to set the nav, or roll up the windows, or nudge the car a few feet.

Otherwise just let the hybrid system do its thing.

If you set menu, info to show the power routing, you'll see power changing between the different states of charging, using,  engine only, ev only, round and round constantly as the computer decides what's best needed.

I have to say that even looking at the charge map when I’m driving I do not see the volume of EV running that appears on the MyT app. I just think that many times it happens and is nit reflected onto the cars internals displays unless it’s for a significant period, whatever that might be.

• Like 1