Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV 4 2003 Diesel Newbie General Inquiry

Jim of shrewsbury

Hi. I purchased a 2003, 140,000 mile rav 4 gx diesel in extreme circumstances needing a vehicle urgently. It ran terribly but I made a call that it was solid mechanically and structurally. 1 air filter and 1 fuel filter later, it is running really well. I bought it to dig me out of a hole for a few days which it did and had intended to resell. I'm now already quite attached to it. I'm almost sure the air filter and fuel filter had never been changed, their condition was horrific and the dreadful early performance (absolute top speed 40mph and terrible bogging and jerking) is now a thing of the past. Now runs smoothly upto 80mph or thereabouts.

I'm quite interested in checking its operation via DIY OBD but very happy to do this on a bottom line budget to start with. I'm pleasantly surprised with the integrity and condition of things in the engine bay and underneath but looking for any useful observations about this model. The clutch is absolutely on its uppers so would welcome any experience of changing that. I'm a competent experienced DIYER on vehicles but never dealt with a 4WD before. Just interested in any pointers, tips generally and specifically re clutch, useful suggestions for driveway replacement.....e.g. front up / engine down / can I drop the gear box with tge engine in etc etc. Hope someone feels happy to share any experience or tips

Many thanks

Jim

Shrewsbury 

Sorry Jim can't be of any help but with that attitude I'm sure you will succeed.

Sorry Jim, can't help but with that attitude I'm sure you will succeed. 👍

Hi jim

did the clutch on my RAV4 twice over the 11yrs I owned it, luckily both times I had use of a two post ramp, but it still a mammoth job. I’m sure you could do it on your drive! Their used to be a permanent post on the forum about this job but I think it’s been removed, once you start the job it’s pretty obvious what needs to come off, engine will need supporting and the subframe needs to come off you can leave the steering rack attached to steering column, just unbolt rack from subframe, note unless it’s been converted it should have a DMF so you may have to remove the gearbox before you buy the clutch so you get the right one, also the gearbox and rear wheel drive unit come out in one piece, the gearbox just wraps around the back of the engine.

hope this helps,  

On 6/8/2022 at 7:22 PM, kevinf said:

Hi jim

did the clutch on my RAV4 twice over the 11yrs I owned it, luckily both times I had use of a two post ramp, but it still a mammoth job. I’m sure you could do it on your drive! Their used to be a permanent post on the forum about this job but I think it’s been removed, once you start the job it’s pretty obvious what needs to come off, engine will need supporting and the subframe needs to come off you can leave the steering rack attached to steering column, just unbolt rack from subframe, note unless it’s been converted it should have a DMF so you may have to remove the gearbox before you buy the clutch so you get the right one, also the gearbox and rear wheel drive unit come out in one piece, the gearbox just wraps around the back of the engine.

hope this helps,  

Thanks so much Kevin. Really helpful. I've assumed it's got a dmf but interesting point, there's no evidence of ANY work being done on it let alone a conversion! The fuel and air filter were the worst I've ever seen.  I note you had a lift  Do you think there's enough room to the side and below to get the box out with the front on high axle stands? Also, I found a long thread from 2011 on here between anchorman and another member about the same thing which was really helpful but there seemed to be scaffold and large amounts of timber involved. 

Hope you won't mind if I fire a question or two in your direction as I progress.

Thanks for your advice. Really helpful. Thanks. Jim

Yes ask as many questions as you need, once the sub frame is out of way, which you can remove before you need to support the engine and the drive shafts are removed there’s enough room to bring the box downwards with a couple of helpers or maybe a trolley jack!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links